Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Orthodics

J-Ho

I have had a lot of foot pain in the past and someone recommended I get my arches looked at. My arches were terrible, from what I understand. I bit the bullet and had ordered some custom made arch supports. Holy hell these things are great. My feet and lower back aren't nearly as bad as usual and a huge benefit has been that I am a lot more stable now when I'm standing and shooting. I didn't think something like that would make much of a difference but I would gladly spend that much money and more again. Anybody else try the whole arch support thing?

J-Ho

not because of arches, but another condition, but I've worn custom orthotics since 5th or 6th grade. In fact, I need new ones again (can tell because heals and arches begin hurting after standing for a long time, and chronic lower back and hips ache). Even though it was like 20 years ago and I was young, I remember pain relief was almost instant when I started wearing them. Since I have a desk job, I can go ~3 yrs on a pair.

Now they do those foam molds you step in, and the custom casting takes seconds. It's great compared to years ago when they had to do plaster casts. (man does that make me sound old... gheesh, I'm only 32. "back in MY DAY...." haha)

-rvb

i've got a bad case of plantar hurtalot. where did you get yours done? i've tried all the store brands and none give me lasting relief.

Call a podiatrist or a physical therapy office. Ask.

Call your insurance company and ask about coverage. They run $200-300, plus professional fees.

Worth it.

i've got a bad case of plantar hurtalot. where did you get yours done? i've tried all the store brands and none give me lasting relief.

Call a podiatrist or a physical therapy office. Ask.

Call your insurance company and ask about coverage. They run $200-300, plus professional fees.

Worth it.

Absolutely worth it. I had constant low grade knee pain for years that cleared up immediately when I got mine (in my case my feet tend to rotate outwards stressing my knees).

And no matter what the dork at the shoe store/department says, the arch supports they sell are not custom orthotics.

Edited by bdpaz

I got mine from a chiropractor in the DFW area. I'll PM you the info.

Years ago I was recommended custom inserts but have no insurance so they were not within my budget. My doc recommended Red Wing Heat Moldable insoles. They changed my life. I had planters fasciatis and arthritic pain in my knees. Now I have very little pain and less turned ankles as well. The inserts run about $50 and last a couple years. My hubby uses them now as well. Just a suggestion if there are those that have no insurance like me.

Edited by Wendytww

I've been wearing molded fiberglass orthotics for about 6 years now, due to plantar fasciitis. The insurance I had at the time did not pay for them, I think they were about $400. They literally changed my life. I can now just buy shoes, and they fit, and I can wear them for more than 2 hours without pain, and go for walks, and everything people with normal feet can do. Think about how long a shooting match usually lasts, and how much standing and walking we do at one, and you can imagine what a difference this made.

Find a podiatrist and get some made for yourself right now.

I would recommend a pedorthotist or podiatrist who has the amfit system. That is the one that scans your foot. Well, one of them anyway... I've been in all different kinds of orthotics for plantar fascitis for about fifteen years. Hard plastic of all flavors, different kinds of foam, superfeet, etc. The amfit, at least for me, are best by far.

• 2 weeks later...

As a sports medical physician who has 30 years of experience with making orthotics for athletes, I can only say that a well made orthotic for SOME people will make a HUGE difference, both in terms of correcting ailments as well as significantly increasing performance. Like faces there are a huge variation in foot anatomy. Some folks will do real well with an over the counter orthotic but some will require a custom made one.

The most common ailments that SOMETIMES are fixed by orthotics are plantar faciitis, shin spints,excessive pronation and some types of knee problems. The odd back problem is also sometimes aided

For those that have excessive pronation, a well fitted fairly rigid orthotics WILL inrease your launch speed and decrease setup time. The analogy I use is like a sports car with soft springs. It takes a while to load and unload the spring so if you stiffen up the suspension you can change direction quicker. Same thing happens with folks that have feet that pronate, it takes a few hundreths of second to load and unload. Plus your proprioceptive feedback is enhanced considerably with orthotics.

That being said, unfortuneately my experience is there are a lot of folks making custom orthotics, that could do a better job. A regular podiatrist will not likely help much. One who treats a lot of athletes are sometimes good. The best semi professional results I have seen are guys who make ski boot inserts, as skiiers are much more demanding of perfect fit.

Someone mentioned "Superfeet". I have seen some good ones and some not so good ones. Part of the problem is most of the relatively inexpensive "custom" orthotics are made during weight bearing which already has the foot in a distorted position. The best custom orthotics, although hard to find someone who knows how, is done with a cast made from foot in non weight bearing perfect position. There are also some newer computer aided pressure sensor design aids that can work well in experienced hands.

The good news is there are a fairly large number of folks that will do real well with an off the shelf DIY orthotic.

And just to be clear I dont want any business, I currently refuse to do them unless I have seen the patient before. They are time consuming to do right. I have already done thousands and figure that's enough.