Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

idpa box question

pbosik

I just got a STI Trojan in 45 and installed a Dawson Ice magwell on it, i already see that i will need to trim the basepads , but based on the dimensions on idpa for the box ( 8 3/4x 6x 1 5/8 ) this pistol would not fit at all, even without the mag well, which brought me to look at my m&p 9L, it also is too big. So what gives here?

So anyone have a ice on their 1911 and tried a idpa box? on the 9L, that brings up the question, isnt a m&p 5" pro allowed in ssp?

i measured the spec on a piece of paper and the 1911 was to large both length and width, have i lost my mind? dont answer that one.. :surprise:

ok thanks for the replys,i will need to belt sand the plastic basepads on a angle, and i do not have a box, but it looke like it will be a jam it in there, at the least..

pbosik ask me in a PM for pictures of with the mags inserted and what mags I use. I thought i would add it here so everyone could see the answer. There were mags in the original pictures as well.

The mags are from Tripp Reasearch. I use the system mags. You need to contact Virgil at Tripp Research and he will make these up for you. They are a little longer than standard mags, making it easier to seat in the bigger magwell. They do have the front of the basepad ground down a bit. I also have one standard mag for "gun in the box" starts. Both size mags hold 9 rounds (.40 S&W) the standard length just gives you a little more room to get it out of the box.

Here is the System mag:

System-Box.jpg

Here is the Standard mag (yes, there is a mag in the gun):

Standard-Box.jpg

Here is both mags, back to back:

BothMags.jpg

I mainly shoot .40, but for .45 I have Wilson's with the long pad ground down on the front edge.

There are quite a few posts on this topic if you do a few searches. Here's a LINK to one started by Corey that has a lot of info.

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

• 2 weeks later...

i got to test the box fit yesterday at a match and with my kimber tac mag using the big pads that come with them, having shaved them on the correct angle ,all fits well..i am a happy man now.. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Trojan has been in two IDPA boxes since installation of the Dawson ICE magwell. One was a perfect fit, in the other the muzzle and beavertail both lightly touched the sides. The magwell was a non-issue in both. I use Dawson basepads on my Tripp magazines.

• 2 weeks later...