Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody shoot 45 Colt?

wolf_river_mike

Well this past weekend I competed in the US East Coast IDPA Championship with my Ruger Alaskan loaded with .45 Colt. I was shooting ESR (the Alaskan weighs too much for SSR) and using speedloaders (HKS). I took first place in my class (Marksman) and made a good showing for myself compared to the other SSR and ESR competitors. There was only one person in my class (not my fault), and overall did well on the stages compared to all of the competitors participating.

Using .45 Colt is not the "optimum" caliber for IDPA (or USPSA) competition, but I enjoy the revolver and caliber that I shoot. I have yet to find a match that would let me use .454 Casull in competition (I have a Trailboss load from the Hodgdon Manual that would likely be tame enough)which would not be too stiff for use through a 5-6 stage match. I :lol: know that it will never happen.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 45LC 625 Mountain Gun that I occasionally shoot in SSR for fun. I use comp IIs that are for 44mag with a little filing on the points that hold the cases untill they fit the bigger 45 case. I do not have a holder for the loaders and just keep them in my pocket. I also had the cylinder cut for moon clipped 45ACP to shoot ESR, but the new rule addendum has rendered it illegle, the gun does not say "45ACP" on it and is not one of the calibers that is ok to shoot that is not listed on the gun. So much for that idea.

I have a 45LC 625 Mountain Gun that I occasionally shoot in SSR for fun. I use comp IIs that are for 44mag with a little filing on the points that hold the cases untill they fit the bigger 45 case. I do not have a holder for the loaders and just keep them in my pocket. I also had the cylinder cut for moon clipped 45ACP to shoot ESR, but the new rule addendum has rendered it illegle, the gun does not say "45ACP" on it and is not one of the calibers that is ok to shoot that is not listed on the gun. So much for that idea.

You found comp 2's that will work with .45 Colt? I have been trying to find some, but all I can seem to find are comp 1's. I must not have been looking in the right places. :unsure:

Why can't you just use moonclipped .45 Colt? I came across moonclips for them a few months back, but at the moment I cannot recall where.

Having your gun cut for moonclips and shooting .45 ACP is still legal under the conversion from rimmed to rimless rule. The rule addendum addresses shortened or trimmed brass which seems to be an issue in SSR, not ESR. I've emailed Robert to get an official reading on this just to be sure.

Jerry

Back when IDPA was invented I used a .45 Colt Redhawk Alpine Conversion. I had this revolver made by Hamilton Bowen before Ruger made any .45 Colt Redhawks, let alone one with a 4" barrel. At the time I was using it for concealed carry and figured it would be a good fit with IDPA. My standard load consisted of 8.8 grs. of 231 with a 255 gr. cast bullet, for 240 PF. I shot it very well and I still feel that to this day I can not shoot my 625s with full power loads as well as I shot that Redhawk. The biggest problem is finding good speedloaders and speedloader holders.

Dave Sinko

Hello: I think shooting 45LC in IDPA SSR would work great with the right speedloaders. Those big holes would load faster than the 357/38. Shooting it at 135PF would feel better in the hand as well :cheers: I may have to look into a revolver that will work for that. Then I would have a gun for all the IDPA divisions. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I cannot say that I have seen all of the options that there likely are, but I don't know of a .45 Colt revolver that does not weigh too much for SSR. My Ruger Alaskan (.454/.45) weighs 44oz and the Redhawk in .45 Colt is 46oz. Possibly another manufacturer makes one light enough. I shoot in ESR due to the weight on my Alaskan.

A. Be any revolver of 9mm caliber (.355” or larger) or

larger bore diameter utilizing rimmed or rimless

cartridges, which may safely make a power factor of

165,000. The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is

not allowed. Ammunition used must match the caliber

listed on the gun. The only exceptions would be: .38

special in .357 magnum, 9mm in .38 super, 40S&W in

10mm, 44 special in .44 magnum.

This is from the new rule addemdum so as I read it no 45ACP in a gun marked 45LC. I don't think that any one makes moon clips for 45LC. I tried to put 45 auto mag brass in my 45ACP moon clips to fill more of the space in the long cylinder but the tapered area above the rim on the auto mag is thicker than ACP and did not fit. And as I mentioned the comp IIs I use are for a 44mag 629, filed to fit 45 LC. The Mountian Gun makes SSR weight with a couple of ounces to spare.

Hello: That is cool that the S&W Mountain gun makes the weight. Now what speedloaders work the best for it? I have a S&W 646 that I shoot 40 in but I have not used it for IDPA yet. I also have a 38 Super revolver I need to try also. The Mountain gun would work for me since I load 45LC already for my Marlin Cowboy comp gun. Thanks, Eric

Hello: That is cool that the S&W Mountain gun makes the weight. Now what speedloaders work the best for it? I have a S&W 646 that I shoot 40 in but I have not used it for IDPA yet. I also have a 38 Super revolver I need to try also. The Mountain gun would work for me since I load 45LC already for my Marlin Cowboy comp gun. Thanks, Eric

SL Variantspeedloaders are the fastest you're going to find for an N-frame.

A. Be any revolver of 9mm caliber (.355” or larger) or

larger bore diameter utilizing rimmed or rimless

cartridges, which may safely make a power factor of

165,000. The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is

not allowed. Ammunition used must match the caliber

listed on the gun. The only exceptions would be: .38

special in .357 magnum, 9mm in .38 super, 40S&W in

10mm, 44 special in .44 magnum.

This is from the new rule addemdum so as I read it no 45ACP in a gun marked 45LC. I don't think that any one makes moon clips for 45LC. I tried to put 45 auto mag brass in my 45ACP moon clips to fill more of the space in the long cylinder but the tapered area above the rim on the auto mag is thicker than ACP and did not fit. And as I mentioned the comp IIs I use are for a 44mag 629, filed to fit 45 LC. The Mountian Gun makes SSR weight with a couple of ounces to spare.

I understand what the rule addendum says, but the point is you are not shooting shortened ammo. This is not the same as shooting 38 short colt brass out of your Model 10 in SSR. You are shooting moon clipped ammo to compete in a different division with the predominant cartridge for that division. This is not an attempt to "subvert" the rules like the shortened cases, this is doing what the rulebook specifically allows you to do.

Starline .45 Winchester Magnum brass will readily snap into conventional .45 ACP moonclips. If your .45 Colt revolver has been moonclipped to shoot .45 ACP, it will probably also be able to chamber and fire .45 Win. Mag. Of course you will want to use reduced handloads and NOT factory ammo. I don't think this is a good idea with an N Frame but I have always believed that a Redhawk properly built and chambering .45 Winchester Magnum in moonclips would have great potential.

Dave Sinko

• 4 months later...

I think the 625 Mountain Gun and the Model 25 are light enough. Couldn't tell because S&W didn't list the weights on the spec sheets.

Hi guys, a very late response (forgot about this thread) :blush: . My 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt weighs in between 38-40 oz, unloaded, depending on which scale I use. This is with the stock Cocobla grips.

I haven't done so yet, but I have plans to shoot a .45Colt in SSR. Due to the 125 power factor, I can shoot an anemic .45C load and still decimate power factor while having less recoil than a hot loaded .38/,357 load that reaches power factor.

I haven't done so yet, but I have plans to shoot a .45Colt in SSR. Due to the 125 power factor, I can shoot an anemic .45C load and still decimate power factor while having less recoil than a hot loaded .38/,357 load that reaches power factor.

Just make sur that they are not so anemic that you have problems with knocking down steel poppers.

Just make sur that they are not so anemic that you have problems with knocking down steel poppers.

They will still hit plenty, plenty hard. It's still a .45 Colt. A local shop loads some cowboy loads that easily make PF even for ESR but have very little recoil and muzzle flip. They are fun to shoot.

Hello, in my earlier post I said that I am using Comp IIs. That is incorrect I have Comp Is that are for a 629 with the points that hold the cases filed down to fit the 45LC. I find that I get some tumbling bullets with moonclipped 45 ACP in the 45 LC cylinder, I also seem to loose some velocty

in the longer cylinder of the Mountian Gun as compaired to an 45 ACP 625.

Weather permitting I will shoot mine in my first IDPA match this Saturday. 200 grn lrnfp and 5.5 grn Trail Boss with HKS speedloaders.

I was looking at my Hodgdon Reloading Manual and found the information they had on a Trail Boss load similar to what you listed above. With a 4" barrel I estimated a velocity of 592fps, as the Hodgdon manual shows a 7.25" barrel used in their work. I figured a loss of about 114 fps (-35fps per inch)with your revolver (706fps is listed in the manual). That puts the power factor at 118,400, which would not make the power floor of 125,000. Now my calculations might be different from the actual power factor that you obtain, but it might be close. I would suggest a higher powder load so that if you ever get checked on a chrono (I have not in the 4 years that I have participated in IDPA), you won't come in under the power floor.

Edited by Blueridge