Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turn G23 Into G19?

jspruance

Hi Glock guys I need more help.

I was talking to a Glock armorer today at a gun show. He was showing me a barrel made by Jarvis (Lone Wolf) I think. Anyway the barrel was a 9mm. He said that I could drop it into my G23 with no other modifications ( except for 9mm mags) and it would function perfectly. I asked if the slide or ejector had to me modified or changed. He said that everything would work fine just as it is. He dropped it into my slide and it fit perfectly. His price was $112. for the barrel. Thought I could get it cheaper from Brownells but they don't list it.

Has anyone had experience with this setup? Was it good/bad?

Also how in the heck do you get the base pads off of the new 10 rd. mags? I followed the directions in the manual but have no luck squeezing those little tabs, pushing in the pin and sliding off the base pad. I think I need more hands.

Thanks for any help.

JFS

I don't know that converting a 23 into a 19 would give you the kind of reliability you'd want for a match --- 9mm headstamp rattling around in .40 breechface...

On mag disassembly --- unlike most other mags, you need a much longer punch to disassemble Glock mags, because you need to drive the inner floor plate up and clear of the area at the base of the mag tube where the notches are, so you can squeeze the tube together and slide the outer baseplate off...

I did this with a Beretta (used a 92 Taurus barrel in a Beretta 96 EII). Like the above posts mention the extraction was less than ideal (ejection wasn't as strong/far) but it still ran 100% for the 2-300 rounds I shot it. The sights were a little bit off too.

I finally broke down and bought a top-end on Ebay.

I had really hoped to hear from someone who had actually made the conversion.

Well....I think there's a reason why you didn't. The drop in conversion barrels are more oriented toward the weekend plinker than the competition shooter. Guys that are travelling and shooting a lot, generally have too much invested to risk running a 98% gun. If all you're doing is fun shooting with it, why not go for it. One or two FTE's wouldn't spoil my fun.

EricW,

Actually I was planning to do it to let my Grandaughter get used to a low recoiling center fire. The G23 as a .40 is a little stiff and intimidating for a skinny little girl.

Since its just plinking the reliability isn't critical. But annoying>

JFS

I've used a 9mm conversion barrel for my G35 (from Lone Wolf) before I started reloading (9mm is way cheaper). Had to use 9mm magazines for it to load correctly. Ejection was about 95%, probably due to the 40 cal ejector. Not bad if you just want to use it for plinking. It was also good for malfunction clearing practices because you'd never know when one is going to stove piped :D

• 8 years later...

Old thread but I'll post...I've run a LoneWolf 40-9 threaded barrel in my Glock 23 rtf2 for around 1k rounds now with zero problems. I also have run it for another 1k with a 9mm suppressor mounted on it. no problems... it's the easiest conversion around. Although I agree it's not intended to be as accurate as other conversions.