Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock troubleshooting

cookselk

At the begining of the year I put together an open Glock 17. Although I had some initial problems with it, I think it just needed some breaking in I have been mostly satisfied except one problem. Every few hundred rounds I will get a misfire due to a light primer hit. A couple of weeks ago I competed in a GSSF match and had two misfires which probably cost me a 2-3 place finish. I use the same ammo that I would in my stock pistols producing about 135 pf.

The pistol is equipped as follows:

SJC C-more mount with C-more

LWD barrel and Carver 4 port comp

Wolf steel guide rod and 11 or 12 lb. spring

Glockworx fulcrum trigger

Glockworx competition spring kit

Glock 3.5 lb connector

Below is a link to our gc's website and a pic of the G17. If you are wondering about the holster, I wanted to shoot open but didn't have the funds to buy a holster at the time so I took an Uncle Mike's holster and went to work with a dremel tool. It holds it securely!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4202212&id=157092726011

When a misfire occurs it almost feels like the striker is not impacting with as much force as when I dry fire it. The primer shows a light mark. I cleaned the striker channel but it still happened. If I replace the glockworx striker spring with the glock spring the slide will begin to retract when I pull the trigger--the mainsping is too light at this point. There seemed to be some friction when the striker was moved fore and aft so I replaced the channel liner and spring cups.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i have the jager lightened extended tip striker and it hits the primer hard not one misfire. great striker!!! it came with my vanek classic grandmaster trigger kit. get the jager striker it will serve you well. just my 2 cents.

Edited by G34 CORDY

How many rounds does the striker spring have on it? I was getting about 1000 rds with the GW lightened spring before I would need to replace it due to light strikes. If you’re using a stock striker you’ll need to replace it even more often. I got even fewer rounds with the wolf lightened striker spring. I have since switched to a stock spring with 2 coils cut off (ground end on spring cups and open end on spacer sleeve), I don’t know if that’s an option for you with your recoil spring but you might want to try it anyway. Installing a Glockworx striker will help, I have one in all 3 of my glocks.

You might also want to inspect the striker and striker safety for peening. The striker might be hitting the safety on its way to the primer and it’s a more common problem than people think, even on stock parts. Sometimes the peening will create a small burr on the striker which just makes the problem worse.

Check the reset on your Fulcrum trigger. I had the same problem with my Gen 4 until I gave it a little more room on the take up. I was getting a light reset and you could hear a click but FTF. This fixed my problem and haven't had a light hit since. You can go to the Glockworx page and find the videos for adjusting your trigger.

Doug

Thank you for your replies. To answer some questions, reloads with Winchester or CCI primers. Glockworx recomended either Winchester or Federal.

Factory striker. Striker spring does have a 2-3000 rounds on it. I noticed a slight hang up after the striker safety is depressed when the slide is removed from the frame. Also there is a slight hang-up when the striker is fully retracted. When I cleaned it again the hang up with the striker safety disappeared but the other is still there and just ever so slight. My other Glocks don't exhibit this.

Incidently I just got back from the range firing some 150-200 rounds through it. No problems.

with an EMPTY gun, take a flashlite and look up thru the magwell to see how your trigger-bar tab is pressing on the FP safety plunger

much easier if the flashlite can be held in your teeth - lets you rack the slide and slowly ease it fwd, etc

press the trigger, hold it back as you rack the slide, and watch as you slowly let the trigger fully fwd - it should come completely off the PF plunger [to be safe]

still watching with your flashlite, press the trigger slowly thru and watch it [hopefully] get up squarely onto the PF safety plunger, allowing the FP a clear path to go to the primer & set it off

if there is not a solid engagement of the FP safety plunger before the striker drops, you have removed too much overtravel. back it out.

quick test of all that is to press the trigger thru, take all pressure off the trigger, and shake the gun back & forth. sound you should hear is tink-tink - fwd and backwards. if not, back out the overtravel screw some more.

you can get by with a gun that goes tink-tink with minor pressure [say, a pound] on the trigger - but that's running on the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

is the light hit offset on the primer? it could be your recoil spring is too light causing the glock to pull out of battery.

i am also using the Billy's striker and have been running it for almost a year now no issues whatsoever. i run major with Billy's comp as well and either an 11 lbs ISMI spring or a 13 lbs wolff spring, no light hits at all.

I have a open glock 24, i only use federal 100 primers for matches. Win and cci will have a light strike every couple hundrend rounds. Also clean your slide and striker the night before a match, with a light striker spring just a little bit of grim will slow the striker down.

jager will also help but a clean gun and federal primers should fix the light strike problem

Adam