Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 precision delta and clays

jdewberr

Hi All,

I've been doing some research on Clays powder and 9mm 124s. I've come up with

3.6gr charge

1.10 OAL

as a starting point.

I'm going to set up 20 rounds at the above mentioned criteria, I'll pick out common cases too, I'll rent the chrono from the county range. I guess before I do I'd like inputs from those out there running Clays on 124gr Precision Deltas.

I did notice this interesting thing about Clays. I had my 550 set for 4.6gr of W231. I cleared the powder measure and then tested with Clays. I did five drops and put it back into the hopper. I then tested ten drops and found them to be weighing in at 30gr. That's pretty interesting to me, but probably just blabber to veteran reloaders. The same physical space inside the powder bar that gave me 4.6gr of W231 gave me 3.0gr of Clays.

Thanks in advance!

--

Joe

Hi All,

I've been doing some research on Clays powder and 9mm 124s. I've come up with

3.6gr charge

1.10 OAL

as a starting point.

I'm going to set up 20 rounds at the above mentioned criteria, I'll pick out common cases too, I'll rent the chrono from the county range. I guess before I do I'd like inputs from those out there running Clays on 124gr Precision Deltas.

I did notice this interesting thing about Clays. I had my 550 set for 4.6gr of W231. I cleared the powder measure and then tested with Clays. I did five drops and put it back into the hopper. I then tested ten drops and found them to be weighing in at 30gr. That's pretty interesting to me, but probably just blabber to veteran reloaders. The same physical space inside the powder bar that gave me 4.6gr of W231 gave me 3.0gr of Clays.

Thanks in advance!

--

Joe

It's the difference in the size and density of the powder. Put a different powder in there and it too will come up at a different weight. For instance, a pound of lead and a pound of feathers will take up a much different volume, but still weight the same.

Are you loading for major? If you are loading for minor, you could probably drop your charge quite a bit. I load Clays in 40 S&W with a 180 grain TC lead bullet with only 3.0 grains and I'm making 145 PF.

I have from http://data.hodgdon.com a load for a 125gr FMJ that's 1.09 OAL & a charge range from 3.5 to 3.7, with that I'm gonna back down to 3.5gr and see where I chrono. I'm gonna be outta town for a while so I won't be able to report on my findings until the week after July 4th. If anyone has loaded a 124 on Clays, please post load data, insights, insults and heresies :-)

--

Joe

From what I've read, for some reason, people were having accuracy problems with Clays in 9mm, so, I've never tried it.

Actually, I stopped using Clays in my .45 too, because it's so temperature sensitive.

I load Clays with the 124 PD. My load is 3.6gr with an OAL of 1.125. This gives me a PF of 130 in my XDm with Winchester brass. I have some Remington brass and it always chronos slower. This is using the inexpensive Shooting Chrono at 10 feet. HTH.

Ty

Edited by 69bowty

I use Clays in my 9mm minor production loads for competition. I switched from Titegroup because I like the recoil impulse from Clays so much better. I ran 3.6gr Clays under a PD 124 JHP at area 5 and it made 129.9 PF, but the temps were kind of low. I have chrono'd this load extensively and found that Clays isnt really temp sensitive at all (maybe 10-15fps change). I load out to 1.12 for my M&P 9Pro. If you need any more info, dont hesitate to contact me, or just post back here.

Bass