Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Area 5 Championship

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome match.

There were a lot of no-shoots & more than a few targets trying to hide from us.

I got all those hidden targets. It was the wide open target that I blew past trying to get to the target you could only see from only right there if you stretched your arms over the fault line that got me. :rolleyes:

Awesome match.

There were a lot of no-shoots & more than a few targets trying to hide from us.

I got all those hidden targets. It was the wide open target that I blew past trying to get to the target you could only see from only right there if you stretched your arms over the fault line that got me. :rolleyes:

There was a lot of that going around! Easy targets are hard!

I just started shooting in May. This was my 5th match ever. Wow was it fun! I have not had the pleasure of meeting Ray Hirst yet but I already really like that guy! Those were some fun, difficult stages with massive amount of options that really made you think. Every time I thought I had eliminated a window I realized I was short a target; to only find it buried at some impossible angle.

Special thanks to all the sponsors, RO's, staff and the 'little fellow' delivering water (screaming WATER) when he and his mom arrived for making this a great match. The weather conditions weren't ideal but I thought everything still ran smooth.

It's time to start eating some beans and getting ready for Indy!

I just started shooting in May. This was my 5th match ever. Wow was it fun! I have not had the pleasure of meeting Ray Hirst yet but I already really like that guy! Those were some fun, difficult stages with massive amount of options that really made you think. Every time I thought I had eliminated a window I realized I was short a target; to only find it buried at some impossible angle.

Special thanks to all the sponsors, RO's, staff and the 'little fellow' delivering water (screaming WATER) when he and his mom arrived for making this a great match. The weather conditions weren't ideal but I thought everything still ran smooth.

And we will welcome you with a "laurel and hardy handshake to our new.....visitor"

For those of you that have never shot a USPSA Nationals before, this match was essentially a 14 stage Nationals. Very well run, OUTSTANDING STAGES. Very technical and accuracy intensive.

I am so happy I decided to go.

Finally got a chance to meet Chris Keen, Barry Bean and many guys in between :rolleyes: . All very nice guys. Squad 411 was a very hard working squad and that really helps to complete the match. The weather was ok for the most part as we shot on Saturday PM and Sunday AM (nothing much you can do about controlling the weather).

This was a great value (125.00) for this type/quality of a match. I ended up recruiting 2 other local shooers to go with me from MN and they are happy they went. Both of them took home plaques, one 2nd place B in SS and 3rd overall SS and the other 1st place D in limited (her first plaque ever at any match).

Thanks to the R/O's and match staff for doing such a great job with stats/water/registration/etc.

Edited to add the youtube video listed below.

Edited by Zerwas

I ended up recruiting 2 other local shooers to go with me from MN and they are happy they went. Both of them took home plaques, one 2nd place B in SS and 3rd overall SS and the other 1st place D in limited (her first plaque ever at any match).

Team Z was impressive, and her card may say D, but she's no D class shooter! It was great to shoot with all of you.

BB

Paid off to come from Canada to Illinois for this event.

Stages were very technical, it was a lot of PT and steel no shoots as well. That was something new for me. After a disastrous first day and fall into the muddy pool on stage 6 and being able to recover, the match went uphill for me and I was able to win C class in my division.

Thank you very much to the organizers, stage designer, all RO and CRO, laddies in the kitchen. Great match

Paid off to come from Canada to Illinois for this event.

Stages were very technical, it was a lot of PT and steel no shoots as well. That was something new for me. After a disastrous first day and fall into the muddy pool on stage 6 and being able to recover, the match went uphill for me and I was able to win C class in my division.

Thank you very much to the organizers, stage designer, all RO and CRO, laddies in the kitchen. Great match

Peter I watched stage 6 that was a very impressive two Alpha while down in the mud lol! :cheers:

Only thing I regret is not getting this recorded. Apparently when I was shooting water/mud were dropping down through my magwell :surprise:

When I went down, I remember my first thought was where is a barrel, then when I was able to see the berm/barrel relation I started shooting strong hand only and using weak hand to get myself out of the puddle. I had a blast and match was a first class act.

Ditto to all that's been said, and hats off to the crew at PASA. They put on great local, and amazing area matches. If you've not had a chance to make it, put them on your calendar for next year! You won't regret it.

Squad 411: it was great to shoot with you all. Glad to see some of the shooters that received plaques. Hat's off!

PS: Team Grundhauser Gunworks have some nice gear good friendly folks to shoot with! If I make it to MN, I'm going to have to look that gunsmith up...

PSS: on a side note: had dinner with a great crew from CA that we didn't get to shoot with, but a very lively and memorable dinner none the less... I look forward to getting to shoot with them some day. Area 5 seemed to draw several international shooters, that I was happy to have the opportunity to meet.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by Tactica

Only thing I regret is not getting this recorded. Apparently when I was shooting water/mud were dropping down through my magwell :surprise:

When I went down, I remember my first thought was where is a barrel, then when I was able to see the berm/barrel relation I started shooting strong hand only and using weak hand to get myself out of the puddle. I had a blast and match was a first class act.

Peter,

Was that you that got a "hand fault?"

JT

Peter,

JT

..... as opposed to a "foot fault" ??? ROFL :rolleyes: Thats funny s*#t right there!

Great match Jim. And Ray, and Dale, and Tony, and everyone else who helped this match get off the ground, and into the air ...... like many folks have already said those were 14 NATIONAL quality stages ....... I've only shot 4 Nationals, and none of them have been at PASA, but I have to say .... I now feel like I have been to a Nationals at PASA! Great job guys, really. Excellent match. Just need to work on your "weather" skills and you've hit the mark dead center!

:cheers:

Seriously, I was entering stats and one of the guys says, "What the hell is a hand fault?" I figured either someone was bracing off a prop not attached to the fault line, then I thought about the mud and thought maybe someone wiped out and kept shooting. :devil:

JT

Peter,

JT

..... as opposed to a "foot fault" ??? ROFL :rolleyes: Thats funny s*#t right there!

Great match Jim. And Ray, and Dale, and Tony, and everyone else who helped this match get off the ground, and into the air ...... like many folks have already said those were 14 NATIONAL quality stages ....... I've only shot 4 Nationals, and none of them have been at PASA, but I have to say .... I now feel like I have been to a Nationals at PASA! Great job guys, really. Excellent match. Just need to work on your "weather" skills and you've hit the mark dead center!

:cheers:

The 2012 Area 5 will be back at Polo Il where it was last year. I spoke with all the candidates and they have agreed if they are elected to have it back there. It's a known quantity and Gary always gave a club the match for two years. The first year you are lucky to break even if you have to buy a lot of stuff. The next year you have a bit more to work with as you have a lot of what you need.

I think we put 28 guns on the table last year... I'd like to make it 40 in 2012. No promises on that, it's a goal.

This match will be a tuff act to follow, but we will try! Last year we had only 5 month to get the match going... this year we will have more time. I will announce the date and staff soon.

If you have a very special stage you wish to be considered, send it along to me for consideration. If accepted you will be expected to set it up and staff it. For that you will get entry into the match and a gun or cash depending.

send to: md@a5match.info

JT

Edited by JThompson

And we will welcome you with a "laurel and hardy handshake to our new.....visitor"

Stand back while I whip this out!

Please, please, please .................. have Area 5 there again next year! :cheers:

No disrespect to anyone but can we have it there every year? What an amazing place.

Seriously, I was entering stats and one of the guys says, "What the hell is a hand fault?" I figured either someone was bracing off a prop not attached to the fault line, then I thought about the mud and thought maybe someone wiped out and kept shooting. :devil:

JT

Yes, exactly. When I ran to left position on the stage 6 to engage one metric target, there was quite a lot of mud.I have slipped and not knowing when I was lying on the ground. After a quick analysis of the situation started to shoot at a target with a strong hand rising from the ground at the same time. Unfortunately my left hand was outside the shooting area.

The 2012 Area 5 will be back at Polo Il where it was last year. I spoke with all the candidates and they have agreed if they are elected to have it back there. It's a known quantity and Gary always gave a club the match for two years. The first year you are lucky to break even if you have to buy a lot of stuff. The next year you have a bit more to work with as you have a lot of what you need.

I think we put 28 guns on the table last year... I'd like to make it 40 in 2012. No promises on that, it's a goal.

This match will be a tuff act to follow, but we will try! Last year we had only 5 month to get the match going... this year we will have more time. I will announce the date and staff soon.

If you have a very special stage you wish to be considered, send it along to me for consideration. If accepted you will be expected to set it up and staff it. For that you will get entry into the match and a gun or cash depending.

send to: md@a5match.info

JT

Looking forward to it!! Polo (TCGC) is an amazing club. I loved PASA but TCGC is another great club and I am excited to see it going back there. One plus side is the hills aren't as steep in POLO :lol:

Edited by WhiskeyFoy