Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Visitors

Patrick Sweeney

Just sitting at dinner the other evening, and my wife starts exclaiming "hummingbird!" "hummingbird!" "hummingbird!"

I look out the window, and there he/she is, checking out the suet, nyjer and other feeders. No love there for a little fast-mover, so off he/she speeds.

I have the hummingbird feeder cleaned, filled and up in fifteen minutes. Been trying to attract them for years, no luck. Last night, we had another visit.

Woo-hoo!

Just sitting at dinner the other evening, and my wife starts exclaiming "hummingbird!" "hummingbird!" "hummingbird!"

I look out the window, and there he/she is, checking out the suet, nyjer and other feeders. No love there for a little fast-mover, so off he/she speeds.

I have the hummingbird feeder cleaned, filled and up in fifteen minutes. Been trying to attract them for years, no luck. Last night, we had another visit.

Woo-hoo!

I have lots of hummingbirds, 3 different kinds. They show up here starting at the beginning of May. If you haven't witnessed hummingbird wars, you're in for a treat.

They love Weigela Bushes. Wednesday nights after sporting clays we relax on the club patio that has a few weigela bushes around. We see hummingbirds every week.

Plus the swooping into / out of the bush trying to fight the other bird. It's neat.

I think the bushes are cool in their own right too.

Years ago I had a hummingbird come up to me about two inches from my nose and just hover there for a bit, checkin' me out. That was one of the coolest experiences ever. They're just too cool. bow.gif

One evening the shreek of the Chicken hawk pierced the silence and the chickens cackled as they ran for cover, stepping out the back door on a 8 foot wide porch a chicken hawk with a 6 foot wing span flew thru the porch brushing his wing on my nose, scared the crap out of me. Bring on the humming birds. Actually we have them as well, and they are neat to watch.

I don't know if all species of hummers do this, but the purple throated ones out here mate in free-fall. Males will fight and fight, until finally one will chase the female straight up onto the sky until they are out of sight. They mate in free fall and seperate just before impact zooming off in different directions. I have seen this once. Some bird watchers staying with my boss were over at his shop when this occurred. They could have been b.s.ing us, but it seemed to make sense at the time. You could see them together as they were falling to the ground. They were spinning slowly as they fell. Right before they would have hit the ground, they broke apart and buzzed off.

The shop was at 4200 feet. Those birds flew straight up out of sight. They probably made the Mile High Club!

Cool

JZ

Woo-hoo!

Cool stuff Pat.

Depening on the time of year - fewer numbers of hummers in the summer and during the breeding season - I keep 2 or 3 feeders going in the front yard.

be

I really got a kick out of all the hummingbird action I saw in NM and was absolutely thrilled to find them here in MI! My wife sent me an e-mail a while back and said "you'd better get the feeders out, there's a hummingbird outside my window right now". I set up a couple of feeders and within a day I had a couple of takers that are still here...gotten a few nice pics of them so far!

A thread I started when I was still in NM (with pics):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85799&view=findpost&p=988222

Edited by G-ManBart

my dad has a couple feeders at his house, usually can see one about any day, and quite often see two or three. the divebomb each other off the feeders with regularity. i got "attacked" last year taking them out to hang up, lol. lil guy came whipping by me 3 or 4 times and was on the feeder before i got about 10 steps away from it. We've actually seen them sit in the sweetgum tree next to the feeders as well.