Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you see while reloading?

No.343

I've been trying to learn how to reload my revolver for a while now. I think I have the mechanics down, but judging by the fruit of my labors I don't know much. I struggle to get 2.5 sec. I only do it about 2 out of ten times. However, I was actually paying attention to what I was doing and noticed that when my eyes snapped down to my moonclips as soon as my left hand was off the gun my times improved...a lot...consistently. I went from 2 out of 10 to 8 out of ten in a matter of a couple of minutes. I was getting two shots off before the second buzzer. So, what do you guys see while reloading?

No343, I see one hole in the cylinder and the back of the speedloader/moonclip and the corresponding bullet nose to the one hole I see. :ph34r: Then as I close my cylinder I see the top of the revo and or sights, depending on what I need to see for the next shot. :sight: later rdd

I've actually been trying to index the moonclip/cylinder without looking too closely. Still need to practice it a lot more but when it works it's pretty fast.

I see a vision of Cliff in his under garments. That causes me to drop the gun, resulting in a DQ.

But seriously, I keep my eyes on the cylinder. My hand automatically retrieves the moonclip and delivers it to it's intended spot.

I shoot major pf, so I can't make any association with Cliff's under garments. :roflol:

I'm just amazed that a slight change in focus made such a difference for me and I'm wondering what else I might be missing.

I see a vision of Cliff in his under garments. That causes me to drop the gun, resulting in a DQ.

But seriously, I keep my eyes on the cylinder. My hand automatically retrieves the moonclip and delivers it to it's intended spot.

After the DQ, do you feel the need to rinse your eyes with bleech?

After the DQ, do you feel the need to rinse your eyes with bleech?

I do, but it doesn't help.

I just curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb until the image leaves me.

• 3 months later...

My preference is to see everything my hands are doing. When I eject Im watching the spent shells clear, then I look to my fresh ammo as Im grabbing it and follow it to the gun seing it drop in. At that point I move my eyes to the target at the same time closing the cylinder and bring the sights to my eye. I dont trust not looking at my reload like some guys have told me they do. I want to make sure spent shells clear before committing my free hand with a fresh reload if I need it to clear spent shells. I want to see the reload in the cylinder and not miss etc. Another big help is using a round nose projectile. It will allow you to be less perfect with the ammo because it will self align and drop right in. Flat nose need to be nothing short of perfectly indexed because they wont self align and will cost you time while your helping them to. Hope this helps!

I never take my eyes off the target..

I tried a variation of this for awhile. I figured if I could reload blind, I could gain on my movement. I got pretty good at it, but it was never as fast as a quick glance at the open cylinder. I look at the 2 holes closet to the gun. Bubber ain't shootin wit both eyes open, fer he's only aseein 1.

Edited by Richard Koester

I never take my eyes off the target..

I tried a variation of this for awhile. I figured if I could reload blind, I could gain on my movement. I got pretty good at it, but it was never as fast as a quick glance at the open cylinder. I look at the 2 holes closet to the gun. Bubber ain't shootin wit both eyes open, fer he's only aseein 1.

Look at my scores Rich.....I shoot with my eyes closed.. :sight: later rdd

sights lift off the target on the last shot, then I'm looking where I'm going while unloading and grabbing a new moonclip (I too use a North Mountian, and hardly ever look for a loaded clip) somewhere in that I'm looking down at the center pin of the cylinder. When my free hand(holding the clip) is about 4 to 6 inches above the cylinder I just drop the moonclip on the cylinder. when I see the moonclip starting to go into the cylinder I'm now starting to look for the next target, position or whats next.

Hop

when I see the moonclip starting to go into the cylinder I'm now starting to look for the next target, position or whats next.

+1. The hard part's done when the rounds start going in, so at this point, I've seen what I've needed to see. The "click" of the speedloader releasing the rounds, then, is my prompt to snap my eyes to the next target.

Tom