Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The "Death Jam"

twodownzero

Yesterday at the Area 5 Championship I had two jams that were the strangest I've seen. One round in the chamber, backwards, and another round fed behind it and up against it.

My gun has never done this before and it prompted a couple funny comments from my squad, including, "good job loading your magazines backwards..." which I assure you didn't happen.

Anyone have any clue how this could happen? I'm at a loss.

If it was a round in the mag backwards, there would simply be a round in the chamber backwards, not another round double fed into it.

Sounds like maybe a mag with loose feed lips letting the top round pop out as the slide goes back, then the slide strips a fresh round and pushes both forward. R,

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go with the half full dropped on the last stage and put back in the belt answer, my .40 limited gun is famous for it, on lil squirt stages, shoot 6 reload, shoot 6, i cant countthe number oftimes ive picked up that mag and stripped it to find 1 or more rounds are now backwards inthe mag, the weight ofthe rounds in the mag, plus it hitting the ground, the spring compresses and the rounds are now freeto do whateverthey want, pop out or in this case rotate backwards, i always strip my mags and reload before the start of the next stage, regardless if it hasnt been dropped or used, call it OCD.... hehehehe

I had the same thing happen to me in SS when I switched to the dawson big mag well. It happened twice the first match I shot with the new mag well.

When I did a reload I had the mag slightly too far forward and the nose of the round would hit the front of the frame and the force was enough to strip it and flip it. The mag did not seat and after I fired the one in the tube the backward round would try to feed. By far the weirdest thing I have experienced. I replaced the magwell insert with their no-gap insert and it never happened again.

Tim

If it was a round in the mag backwards, there would simply be a round in the chamber backwards, not another round double fed into it.

Sounds like maybe a mag with loose feed lips letting the top round pop out as the slide goes back, then the slide strips a fresh round and pushes both forward. R,

I agree!!!

I'll go with the half full dropped on the last stage and put back in the belt answer, my .40 limited gun is famous for it, on lil squirt stages, shoot 6 reload, shoot 6, i cant countthe number oftimes ive picked up that mag and stripped it to find 1 or more rounds are now backwards inthe mag, the weight ofthe rounds in the mag, plus it hitting the ground, the spring compresses and the rounds are now freeto do whateverthey want, pop out or in this case rotate backwards, i always strip my mags and reload before the start of the next stage, regardless if it hasnt been dropped or used, call it OCD.... hehehehe

I shoot production, but always completely strip any mag used during a stage of all rounds and start fresh. That way I know for sure that the rounds are in the mag correctly and that I am 100% sure that I have the correct number of rounds in each magazine.

• 2 weeks later...

If its dropped, its stripped and reloaded. The spring compress flipping rounds thing - oh yeah - good times and makes you look like an idiot trying to explain you didnt load it backwards :surprise:

How badly was it stuck into the chamber? How did you clear it? Certainly not from the front end of the barrel :surprise: . I have found the top round in a dropped magazine reversed before, but luckily have not reloaded that mag.

at club matchs i had a buddy who thought it was funny to put a round in my mag backwards. he always did it with my barny mag. only once did i try to chamber a round though, and it wouldn't feed got stuck on the feed ramp.

How badly was it stuck into the chamber? How did you clear it? Certainly not from the front end of the barrel :surprise: . I have found the top round in a dropped magazine reversed before, but luckily have not reloaded that mag.

Both times, I cleared it on the clock with gravity.