Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with .45ACP rounds

Pro2AInPA

So, I might have a problem. Over the last few weeks, I've worked up a .45 ACP load using 200gr Berry's plated bullets.

I spent a lot of time at the range with the chronograph and have settled on a load. Overall, I've fired 300 rounds of this bullet/seating depth/crimp combination.

I loaded up a handful of dummy rounds (no powder or primer) to use for practicing reloads.

I did a bunch of dryfire reloading practice today and after maybe 60 reloads with this one particular magazine loaded with 8 dummy rounds, when I pulled the mag from the gun, the round on top FELL APART. The bullet fell out of the case. :wacko:

I went in to panic mode, thinking I was going to have to pull the 800 rounds of live ammo I'd loaded. I took a bunch of those and checked them for bullet setback, both by pushing them into the bench and by chambering them. No setback on most, and only .001" on one of them.

So it doesn't appear the bullets are going to set back and cause issues, but just the "beating" of performing approximately 60 reloads with a loaded mag on a closed slide was enough to make the round at the top of the mag fall apart.

The rounds are seated to 1.200" (it's a short bullet compared to a 230gr) and crimped to .471"-.472"

Do I have anything to worry about? The last thing I need is my ammo falling apart during a match. :blink:

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I use the press against the bench test. It's worked for me with SS, Limited, and Open gun loads. If you have serious doubts then run them thru the crimper again with no rounds in the seating die and this will give them sligtly more crimp as the shell plate goes up another .005-.010 or so..

I've done this on more than a few batches where the OAL turned out to be too long, just reseat and re-crimp.

If you are using a Lee FCD this can cause issues buy undersizing the bullet, wow I know it basically resizes the case and that is by the way the issue, should have done that with the sizing die. Use a Taper Crimp Die. I like the Hornady and the Dillon. I swore off Lee Dies a couple years ago. I have used the LEE FCD on jacketed bullets with no issue but Lead, Moly, and Plated that's a whole new story.

was it only the top round that came apart? maybe that particular bullet hitting the magwell/bottom of the slide that many times lossened it up. my dummy rounds have done the same thing (but to be fair, my dummys are when i was first setting up my new dies so many of them are pretty screwed up, lol)

was it only the top round that came apart? maybe that particular bullet hitting the magwell/bottom of the slide that many times lossened it up. my dummy rounds have done the same thing (but to be fair, my dummys are when i was first setting up my new dies so many of them are pretty screwed up, lol)

Yes, it was only the top round that fell apart. Hopefully, you're right.

Did you use the first step sizing die before loading the round, it's the sizing that holds the bullet not the crimp.

When I make dummy rounds, I just don't seat a primer and pour the powder out, other than that it makes it all the way around the machine.

Did you use the first step sizing die before loading the round, it's the sizing that holds the bullet not the crimp.

When I make dummy rounds, I just don't seat a primer and pour the powder out, other than that it makes it all the way around the machine.

Yes. The brass all went through the sizing die . . . .

Remington case?

All Winchester

Hmmm Winchester is good brass. Only brass I've had this problem with was Remington and Independent. I also noticed that my Hornady sizer die didn't size my brass as well as my RCBS dies. I only use my RCBS dies now.

You are constantly beating the top round over and over when you do reloads, A lot of my dumb rounds are severely set back from practicing reloads. If your other rounds are fine, I wouldn't worry about it

Edited by Supermoto

You know mine do the same thing. Never a problem with the loaded stuff. I particularly had this problem with plated bullets, although lead does it as well,it just takes more reloads. Not sure what to do about it other than use the bullet puller to get them back out, recrimp and keep practicing. Now that I think about it I'm gonna keep my eye out for a bullet with a crimping groove and maybe roll crimp.

Kevin

Sounds like you turned your gun into a bullet puller for that one poor round. Like others have assured me here, if it passes the push against the bench test it will be fine.

Unless you cycle the same one through the gun 60 times. :roflol::sight:

• 4 weeks later...

Like most others, I think it's just that top round is getting battered over and over again thats causing the round to fall apart.

As mentioned, the sizing die is responsable for securing the bullet in the case however, if you talk to Dillon, they are emphatic that a .45 ACP be crimped to .470, so you may want to tweak your crimp die a bit as well.

It may just be easier to grab a couple handfulls of those 800 rounds, take them to the range and set your mind at ease about their performance... and be done with it.

Good luck

THG :cheers:

I have never had any bullet setback, and have checked every batch I've ever loaded for this type of problem among others that are typical for reloading. I have done this to a dozen or so of top rounds in the mag during dryfire. First I notice a slight flattening of the round where it hits the bottom of the slide. Then after about 100 or so reloads, it eventually happens. 9mm and 40 have done it to me. I dryfire alot, so this usually happens about seven to eight times a year. This has been with a BHP, a G17, and a CZ TS. I usually find out when I go to pick them up out of the mag drop box, and there will be the unprimed case on the top of the mag without a bullet.

I think you are fine. Check your batch for setback, if you have no problem, you are good to go.