Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My co-workers and I have been using Sta-bil in boats, bikes,ATV's and small engines. Some have gone to the newer Sta-bil marine additive. I saw a new brand called Starlon yesterday and the shop said it is far better than Sta-bil. I wonder

What additives do YOU use in your bike, boat, small engine both 2 stroke and 4 cycle?

Thanks

Dan C

Anything I have that has a gas motor strictly gets Shell V-power. After burning down my sled from a combination of poor fuel quality and ethanol, I use the best fuel (in my opion)I can get. For any fuel additives, I use Lucas Oil products. Sta-bil for long term storage.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't true." Unquestionably the best way to deal with ethanol in small engine fuel is to use it within 60 days of mixing it. If it is still in your fuel can simply dump it in your car or truck and mix fresh fuel. The cost of mixing fresh fuel is much less than a new fuel system or upper end. Ethanol is being blamed for many ills is all types of off road engines. I think you might find that much of the issue stems from the myriad of other chemicals added to the fuel today. (I say fuel because I refuse to call the crap we get from the pump now gas) If a product makes incredible claims why don't they back it up with test data from an independant testing company? Ethanol has been in the fuel in many parts of the country for well over ten years. If it is at the current legal limit of 10% it should not cause an significant issues. If you have a boat with a large built in fuel tank I would consult the manufacturers website for information on long term storage. I have seen many local dealers for all sorts of brand giving some wild advice that is based on "I heard" rather than anything factual.

Stabil has multiple products, the older red stuff we used for years, The Blue Stabil is the newer product intended for ethanol mix, The startron brand from West marine is a very similar if not identicle product, use the blue additive and replacen the fuel it every couple months.

We used to get non-ethanol gas around here in the Spring/Summer which is when I tend to buy small engine fuel so used the red Sta-Bil for years. Switched to the Blue when we stopped being able to get the ethanol free gas locally. So far it has worked really well even with fuel that is six months old.