Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting .22s For Fun!

rhino

BigDave and I went to my local range and shot some .22s today. It took me a while to get sighted-in at 100 yards, but I finally did it. After that, we took turns rolling soda cans on the berm.

I shot my trusty CZ 452 "Scout" model with a Pentax 1.5-5X scope. BigDave had a tricked-out 10/22 with a big variable power (but I'm not sure on the brand, etc).

Shooting in matches is a lot of fun, but sometimes we forget how relaxing and enjoyable it can be to just plink.

And the best part is, you don't hear the sounds of a cash register ringing every time you pull the trigger!

If any of you need soda can snipers, let us know!

You did just fine!

And we will get a lot more practice over the next few months. Next time we should shoot some offhand at closer distances too.

Oh! And we should take some cookies or 'nilla wafers to use as targets. We'll know when we hit them, and the pieces will be consumed by the local wildlife.

Plus some cans of cheap orange soda or something else with a bright color (preferably "diet" since it will be less sticky when we police our cans afterward).

And we're in dire need of a spotting scope ...

I was shooting my .22 rifle (deadly semi-automatic weapon of war with no legitimate sporting purpose) Saturday when... guess what!... the adjustable rear sight broke. OK, well really, it just fell off.

Pretty amazing how accurate you can be with just a cheek weld and a front sight.

I was shooting my .22 rifle (deadly semi-automatic weapon of war with no legitimate sporting purpose) Saturday when... guess what!... the adjustable rear sight broke. OK, well really, it just fell off.

STAY AWAY FROM ALL OF MY GUNS!

You . . . you . . . sight wrecker!

try old cd-s on string, they take ages to break dance when hit and dont need resetting

That's a good idea ... I don't think I have any old CDs, though!

That's a good idea ... I don't think I have any old CDs, though!

Rhino,

Just pick up a handfull of the America Online CDs they give out for free just about everywhere.

Or, I saw an add for a 100 pack of CD-Rs at Office Max, for $29.99, less a $10 mail in rebate, and a $20 mail in rebate--net cost $0.

DD

AOL cds can be great! The other day, I got out my 10m Air Pistol and decided to see how many shots I could put through the center without hitting the plastic. I got to four. But the last one was at least touching the hole! B)

• 4 weeks later...

BigDave and I had another afternoon of relaxation with our .22s today.

Well, we started with some craziness. I brought my Ruger M77 MkII COMPACT in .308 wth me, and we popped some rounds through it. The recoil was . . . noticeable. BigDave didn't like it much after the first shot, then after his second he gave me "the look" and he was done. I fired ten shots total and now I'm a little sorry.

The best part was when I told him it wasn't any worse than a Remington 870 with magnum slugs. It's like that was supposed to put him at ease or something. He did not fall for it, of course.

As usual, the .22 shooting was a lot more fun. Toward the end of our session, one of the other guys at the range took some pieces of broken clays to the berm for us to shoot. I hit a few chunks, but BigDave was cracking them on almost every shot with his 10/22. But then he decided to Get Fancy on me.

He got his Browning Buckmark with the ancient Tasco red dot scope and commenced capping rounds at the same pieces of clay. Off hand. At 100 yards. And he was hitting them. He hit more than I did with my freakin' rifle using a freakin' rest! Did I mention he was shooting offhand and fairly rapidly?

It was impressive and I am not worthy! (he also spanked me at 15 yard headshots strong hand and weak hand only on Tuesday, but I digress).

Then when we tried to leave, it became apparent that the mud had reached a high enough temperature that we were 99.9% stuck. It took some rocking back and forth from D to R to D to R several times, but I finally got us out of there. Of course, I left enormous ruts in the ground behind the bench rest benches. Afterward I called the club president to confess, and now I get to go back with the ground is bit more solid and fill the ruts with dirt. :lol: Compulsive honesty is not always convenient!