Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being DQ'd

toddrod

I pulled off the target to reseat the mag and I and the RO both knew that I did not intend to fire that shot. I thought about fighting the call but decided against it.

I respect the way you handled that, Scott. Anybody who knows you will know that's in keeping with your character.

:cheers:

Curtis

Aw heck. I just got DQ at my first nationals on the second day and was doing great in my division until that happened. I broke the 180 and had already stopped myself, unloaded and cleared when I heard the RO tell me to show clear. Afterwards I had other shooters tell me that I should not have stopped until I heard the RO because other people had done it and kept shooting. I( always wondered if I would know it when I broke the 180 and brother did I. The staff personnel were great and I told them it was my bad and I was good with it. I did learn a lot from what I shot and had a great time. My wife was in a state of shock though, lol. She said that as careful as I am about safety she was very surprised. But hey, hopefully that won't happen again but I was pushing that envelope to win and sometimes thats what it takes.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the DQ bro, but at least nobody was hurt .........

That we know of ........ :mellow:

That shot was definitely over the berm. Do you know what's on the other side of that berm? You might wanna find out. If for no other reason than for your own damn good. So you'll think about that for awhile .... and be a little more mindful next time your shooting.

Mapquest it, or else climb the hill before your next club match begins and take a good look at what's beyond that berm. :closedeyes:

Seriously? He's posting his screw-up to help other people learn and folks are going all "Nun with a ruler" on him?

Tough crowd.

Seriously? He's posting his screw-up to help other people learn and folks are going all "Nun with a ruler" on him?

Tough crowd.

When it comes to letting one go over a berm where it can endanger both the local population, and the very existance of the range, we are a pretty tough crowd.

Tough crowd.

When it comes to letting one go over a berm where it can endanger both the local population, and the very existance of the range, we are a pretty tough crowd.

It is a serious matter. Something that should be addressed by the RO and the rest of the range staff...not a bunch of guys on a forum when he's just trying to share "so others may learn".

He did call it "stupid" and a "screw up". He gets it.

Anyway, I appreciate the post.

Tough crowd.

It is a serious matter. Something that should be addressed by the RO and the rest of the range staff...not a bunch of guys on a forum when he's just trying to share "so others may learn".

Quite the attitude for 8 posts, Brian. You may want to get to know us a little better before you go "Nun with a ruler" on us. ;)

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Tough crowd.

Quite the attitude for 8 posts, Brian. You may want to get to know us a little better before you go "Nun with a ruler" on us. ;)

You're right. Maybe I should sit back and see how you all do things before I say something. It seemed obvious to me and I thought folks were stringing him up when all he was trying to do was help others, but maybe we come from different places.

I would hate to see people see him getting piled on and not share their experiences. After all, I'm at the range to shoot. I'm online to learn...

Edited by Gruyere

• 1 month later...

Learn from the experiance. If you have shot for any length of time chances are at one time or another you will end up with the dreded DQ. It happens to everyone from the GM down. You can be perfect 1000 times but one little slip up and your done for the day.

I was DQed once. I tried to cut a corner and go down a narrow haul at a major. There was loose Orange mess hanging off the wall that I found out my muzzle fit in perfectly. Before I could hit the breaks I had broke the 180. I was done for the day. I should have payed attention at the walk through and made allowance for the narrow hall. Next match I shot I won my division. Things happen, sometimes for the worse but you learn from the experiance and move on or you don't learn from them and are doomed to repeat those same mistakes.

• 4 weeks later...

. Things happen, sometimes for the worse but you learn from the experiance and move on or you don't learn from them and are doomed to repeat those same mistakes.

+1. Late to this forum and I posted my own screw up. I'm here to learn and people who post here are courageous enough to acknowledge a mistake. That's the first step to prevent it from happening again. Chewing out the OP might discourage others from posting really useful information for new shooters like me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, managed to get my first DQ yesterday, AD on a reload. Reloading from an awkward position, grabbed the mag bad, got it in the gun but when I seated the mag my hand slipped and my support thumb went up the frame, hit the top inside of the trigger guard and deflected onto the trigger. The only saving grace was it was in a safe direction and actually struck the scoring zone of a target in the array I was about to engage.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first DQ this sunday after playing this game for the past 13 years while doing a reload. Stage was set up where you started with your hands on a wall, engage the first array, move uprange and sideways a few yards and then engage the remaining arrays. On the signal drew and started moving backwards while engaging the two paper targets, which were close and full shoots. Continued to move backwards and took two shots to knock down a steel plate. Tried to do a reload while continuing to move backward and sideways to save time as the next array was five full targets (we have a stupid 10 rnd. law here). 1st mag spat out, stuck in a fresh mag and BANG. Muzzle was pointed at the berm just beyond the first array so the bullet didn't leave the range. Ahhhh F***!!!! flashed loud and clear through my mind after the shot, but I continued on and finished the stage. The RO then gave me the dreaded invitation to Dairy Queen which I knew I had earned. No excuses, got to "keep the booger hook off the bang switch". I felt embarrassed, ashamed and dirty as I walked off the stage. The DQ absolutely shook me to the core :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by SIG shooter