Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best years for a Ford or Chevy Pickup

I am looking to buy a used pickup for my new 5 acre mini farm. It will not be driven everyday but when i need it i would like it to run. I have always been a Chevy guy but I am willing to make an exception for a Truck.

I like the look and simplicity of the mid 70's Fords and I know Chevy went through a little Shit spell in the late 70's into the 80's

Does anyone have suggestions for a specific year to look out for or avoid ? I don't need comfort or convenience, i was thinking Reg Cab, Long Box, Auto (so the wife can pick up her own "Antiques") Straight 6 , 2wd

Thoughts?

68-71 Chevy PU. 4x4 is better absolutely no 4 speed auto only 3 speed or the mighty Timken 4 speed with granny gear. If your not pulling trailers then the 2 wd is a good truck. The 2wd has coil springs and it tends to sway with a trailer. These things are classic's. A 350 with 4 bbl will get 16-17 miles to the gallon a 2 bbl gets 12-14.

I have a 67 Ford 1 ton with a 429 and granny 4 speed its a rust bucket I don't brake for idiots, funny thing is they have it figured out. It got 8 mpg one time. We use it to haul trash and brush.

Seriously you should be able to pick up a good running 1996 Extended cab in good shape for a song. My 96 Chevy Silverado has 170k original motor and trans still peels rubber for a block, Vortec and 18.5 mpg 14.5 pulling a trailer with a tractor on it, and the wife will actually drive it with AC etc.

Thanks for the info CB. I always liked those c10s. I am looking out in rural Nebraska and Iowa to find the right truck..hopefully I'll find the classic old farm truck out there.

Only the half tons will have coils. 3/4 ton and up will have leaves in the back just like a modern truck. If you intend to work the truck at all, I highly suggest a 3/4 ton (or up).

67-72 Chevys are my favorite, but depending on where it lived its life, it may be all rotten. The floors are all gone in them here.

I think the utility , durable workhorse plane jane pickup peaked with the 1996 F150 with the 300 cubic inch straight 6, great engine, great trucks, dont forget aftermarket engine dealers, with a simple truck like that you can get a remanufactured engine for about 1200

I've had several old work trucks. If you want something older and cool it's hard to beat the 70's F100/150's with the straight 300. Tons of torque and they don't seem to rust as bad as the Chevy's. I had a 70 C20 and a 71 K20 and they were terrific work trucks, but the bodies were rotted off. If you just want the best bang for the buck I'd suggest an 88 or newer Chevy/GMC. I believe the 97's and up have the Vortec heads, but you can get great deals on the older ones. I've had three. An 88, 89 and 90. They do tend to have rust problems, but if you find one that isn't ate up they seem to last pretty good. The best part is the engine. The 350's they put in them just run forever! Very common to have one of them go over 300,000 before needing a rebuild. For example, my 88 has 280,000 on it and just threw a rod this March. It had a pretty serious knock for almost a year before it blew! My 89 has about 230,000 on it and runs like a top.