Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr + Clays Over Pressure?

BlayGlock

Hodgdon website list starting load of 3.5 gr with max at 4.0 gr for Clays and a 230gr LRN. I am loading 3.6gr, and setting the C.O.L. at 1.25 and my case are still bulging at the rear showing signs of overpressure. It only does this with the various mixed headstamp stuff I have CBC, I, PMC, and Winchester brass. Federal brass and Blazer brass appear fine for the most part. Am I doing something wrong here?

Edited by BlayGlock

What kind of gun what kind of bullet ?

I use 3.9 Hodgen Clays in my two 625 revolvers and lead bullets with no problems. I do use matched cases all same headstamp and it's probably a max load. It's also near a mimimum "safe" IDPA power factor load.

Couple of things could put it over the top. Smaller interior volume cases like you can get with mixed brass, too much crimp although I roll about a max crimp in my loads. And the bullet. I am pretty sure Jacketed bullet with that charge would be too hot they have a lot more bore friction. If loading for a moonclipped revolver it's not hard to run same headstamp. Auto pistols it's a lot of trouble to run the same stamp. If loading for a 1911 it should not take 3.9 to reach power factor using lead bullets, 1 more inch in the barrel and no cylinder to throat gap. No need for anything over comfortable PF if shooting matches with lead bullets. Clays like other fast pistol powders will 'spike" that is increase pressure in a steady consistent manner then all of a sudden jump up with small changes in components or methods if working near it's maximum intended pressure.

Another possibility is inconsistent throws on the powder measure, probably the most common reloading problem. I would make a long run throwing weighing and writing it down to see what's really in those cases. I find I have to pause just a bit with Clays or I get light charges. Some measures will throw over if the handle is rapped too hard on the upstroke with Clays.

Bulge at the Base sounds like a Glock I don't know a thing about those.

Boats

Sorry I should add that I am using a Les Baer 5" 1911. Also, I weigh every charge by hand on a single stage press. I just thought, however, that my scale may be off. I have an analytical scale in my lab at work and I just weighed an arrowhead that I had lying around. It weighs 2.2020 grams which is 33.981 grains. I am going to check my powder scale (Lee cheapo scale from anniversary kit) when I get home and order a set of check weights.

I load 4.0 gr Clays with a 230 gr Precision bullet in mixed range brass and have never seen a bulge in the cases or any other signs of pressure. I use this load in my Wilson single stacks and 625 revolvers. OAL 1.250

Edited by Jaxshooter

3.9 of clays with a 230gr LRN is my favorite 1911 load, OAL at 1.25, mixed brass. It's a pretty popular load, I'd definitely check for something amiss in your reloading process or with the gun. Have you tried it in another gun? And chrono would be a good idea too, runs 765 fps in mine.

Kevin

ETA that load runs great in my Glock 30 as well and doesn't bulge the brass a bit.

Edited by kevinj308

What kind of gun what kind of bullet ?

I use 3.9 Hodgen Clays in my two 625 revolvers and lead bullets with no problems. I do use matched cases all same headstamp and it's probably a max load. It's also near a mimimum "safe" IDPA power factor load.

Couple of things could put it over the top. Smaller interior volume cases like you can get with mixed brass, too much crimp although I roll about a max crimp in my loads. And the bullet. I am pretty sure Jacketed bullet with that charge would be too hot they have a lot more bore friction.

Another possibility is inconsistent throws on the powder measure, probably the most common reloading problem. I would make a long run throwing weighing and writing it down to see what's really in those cases. I find I have to pause just a bit with Clays or I get light charges. Some measures will throw over if the handle is rapped too hard on the upstroke with Clays.

I shoot the same loads as this man in the same gun. I used to have a problem with my powder measure throwing as much as .4 over and under and I was set for a mean charge of 4.0 and never had pressure signs. I use an RCBS and after cleaning I have no problems other than the occasional sticky handle on the upstroke. My crimp is pretty ridiculous also as I am slightly roll crimping with a taper die to avoid pulled bullets and I think it gives a slight reload advantage. Again no pressure signs.

Chrono your load and calibrate your scale. No way that load is over pressure.

I calibrate my scale and check the measure every hundred rounds. It's usually confirmed accurate. When I check the weight of the charge I usually throw ten charges...dump them back into the hopper and then weigh the next ten and go with the average before loading.

Glad it worked out,

Every gun is different but I suspect in a 5 inch closed breech gun 3.6 clays and 230 LRN makes 165,000 PF too. Only the crono will tell for sure.

By the way what kind of scale was it? I have a set of check weights but they have never caught my old Lyman scale out. I have a small shelf for the scale over my bench bolted solid with a small indentation for the adjustable foots ball end. So it always sits in exactly the same place. Move them around they don't always read the same.

Boats

It was the scale that comes with the Lee Anniversary Kit. I think that it got of spec because I move it around for storage. My reloading book says that 3.5grs of Clays will do 718 fps with a 5" 1911. I suspect that 3.6grs will make power factor as well I have just not chrono'ed them yet. I am currently playing with the C.O.L. to see which groups better. Spo far Ive gotten better groups with 1.25 than with 1.22.

3.6 is my std 1911 load 5 inch and Commander both however I don't shoot those guns in competition and never cronoed to see if they are PF loads. 625's which I do shoot in Competiton needed 3.9 to be safe over the PF. 3.7 is just at PF in the revolers but not close enough to be sure if checked at a match.

Easy way to make sure the scale stays true is mark a spot for it to sit and always return it to exactly the same spot.

Boats

Don't skimp on components. Buy yourself 1000 new Federal cases, primed and then just use those. Don't pick up range brass. This will eliminate many problems in the future.

Just about everyone shooting .45ACP scrounges for fired brass. It comes with the territory. :D

True,

I am a .45 ACP brass whore. I pick up whatever I can get and won't turn any free range stuff down.

Maybe I am cheap, but not really. I have a Nighthawk and a Wilson and a Glock 21 and a S&W M&P 45 to shoot these big buggers. I do like the .45 ACP especially with the Federal HST 230 grs self defense load.

I am proud to be a re-user of brass.

Later, Lumpy.