Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting around barricades.

Sac Law Man

When shooting around barricades, such as a Bianchi barricade, do most of you cant the gun or shoot with the gun vertical? I find that when I cant the gun I feel as if I am able to see around the barricade better, but my sight picture suffers. I have a harder time aligning the sights. This is mostly true with longer shots, 20 yards. Any suggestions?

I cant the gun slightly, it's not really something I think about but it also depends... when shooting say 3 targets around a barricade to get to the last one I have to really get down and cant the gun a bit or I can't get all the way out and around.

I am also finding that, as you are, seeing the sights gets harder on that last target.

keep the gun in the same relationship to your shoulders and head as you always do, depending on the angles , if you use the bend sideways at the waist, in relation ship to the ground the gun would be canted but your body is too so you have the same sight picture, if you squatting the outside knee your upper body sorta shifts sideways so gun stays verticle, either way the gun to head relationship doesnt change.

I shot a match at a range once where they required the hands to touch the barricade. It was a safety reason. Tactical training now for barricade is to stand back away from the barricade as it makes slicing the pie easier, less exposure. The range had implemented the "hands on rule" because at least one person put a rd thru the barricade which blew wood splinters on him, then he complained about it

Edited by alexrock23

ideally keeping the gun as vertical as possible is the best option. It also depends on the target distance/size. A target at 3-4 feet i can have the gun sideays and still hit where I want. 3-4 yds would be tougher and 10+ yds even harder. It all depends on what you need to see to be able to hit where you want to...

Canting the gun can significantly change bullet impact because of sight alignment. Also 2nd shots are normally slower and more difficult to return to an acceptable sight picture. I am not saying don't do it, I am saying be aware of what happens and practice before using it in a match.

I cant a little shooting on the right side, and a lot on the left side. I also cant my body accordingly, so that my sight picture doesn't change much. I haven't had any issues getting good hits at 25 yds. For long shots you might want to throw in a little "Kentucky windage," depending on what kind of drop you're expecting.

My rule is that if you wouldn't point-shoot it, don't cant it. This is especially true for sights that are higher off the bore axis.

At the Wildcat multigun match a few weeks ago, there was a 100 yard shot on 2/3scale targets through a port that forced the shooter to cant their rifle. From that range, with the relatively high sight axis, there were a lot of misses.