Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Think I am slowly getting this camera worked out. Here is a link to a stage this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fourtrax08?feature=mhsn

I think I did that right, let me know if it doesn't work.

It worked for me, anyways!

The vid is titled CHRIS ILIFF WVPPS

Edited by fourtrax

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looking run. It's amazing what you will see when you watch yourself on video. Minor suggestion: after your retreat to the 3rd shooting position and shot the targets and the turned the right to move to shoot arounf the barrels. There may have been some time savings by shooting the 2 on the far right as you moved to the edge of shooting area then lean around the barrels for the couple out of sight. They looked like fairly close targets and are wide open (and you have a dot).

Not sure where you mean. The two targets visible coming into the position I took, then it was a "lean" to get two more down the side of the barrels(not visible). Then a sprint to the end where two more very close targets where, also not visible from anywhere else.

I think I'm talking about what your talking about? I can clearly see that I could have saved some time getting on those two exposed target sooner, then maybe my setup would have been softer on the two leaning targets around the barrels(not visible). We on the same page? If so, good call, as I've watched that video a lot and missed that.

I have been concentrating on the first port where I should have came in a little more angled and shot two on the right moving in and two on the left leaving. I also fumble dicked my reload. Which I should have made leaving the next position.

Thanks man, I've waited for this camera for awhile and I want some good input.

I knew you'd catch some stuff, thanks.

yea, we are the same page. Just looked like you could have taken those first two targets sooner then gotten into that lean around for the ones the camera doesnt see.

What kind of camera did you get?

Here is another one, forgive me for my learning process.(posting videos)

I should have rolled through the two targets at the beginning. I clearly stop to long.

The RO obscures the shot on the last target but I did have a MIKE there. You'll see me kinda break my arms and wrists to the target, I realize this is bad MOJO. In the future I'll concentrate on turreting from the knees up.

Edited by fourtrax

Here is what I see in your stage run…..

Your stage plan seems a little strange. If you could see the four middle targets (the ones you engaged between the walls on the left and right sides) from the extreme back left and right corners of the stage it would have made more sense to engage them their along with the close targets. You had to get all the way into the back left and right shooting positions so why not take advantage of that by eliminating additional shooting positions in the middle of the stage. Doing this would have eliminated four additional shooting positions in the middle of the stage and you could be running full out to the end of the stage instead.

At the end of the stage it would have been more effective to run hard all the way to the end and engage one of the extreme left/right paper targets first, then as you engaged the steel you could slowly move to the other side so the opposite side paper was ready to engage right after finishing the steel. Engaging the steel on the move as you settle into the shooting position is a waste of time if you end up with a choppy or disrupted target engagement order after settling into the final shooting position.

If I would have shot that stage I would have engaged four paper from the back left, hauled ass to the back right, then engaged four from the back right. Then hauled ass up to the front right and engaged the front left paper first, then the steel as I moved to the left then finished on the front right paper. This plan only has three shooting positions with pure hauling ass in between positions.

The four middle in your first paragraph were blocked from view on extreme right and left side. It made you slow way down crossing over to get them. The gap on the right was almost double the width as the one on the left. The left gap was narrow and target placement was such that you had to get right into it.

The end was spot on and thanks for the advice. The left and right targets were not visible until you were almost on top of the fault line. My engagement order was all out of wack. I know that as I was approaching I shot what I could see(poppers) which screwed the flow up.

Thanks for posting, your advice is always welcome!!

Think I am slowly getting this camera worked out. Here is a link to a stage this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fourtrax08?feature=mhsn

I think I did that right, let me know if it doesn't work.

It worked for me, anyways!

The vid is titled CHRIS ILIFF WVPPS

My thought is your worst problems were in the first port. You are right about the angle and then keep moving. The fourth target should be shot as your are backing out. Do the reload while moving as well. With the second port being so narrow it is nearly impossible to not have a hard stop there. I prefer backing out so I would do that in the second port as well.

On the second stage you need to smooth out the shooting of targets three and four through the right port. Through the left port I shot the two targets in the opposite order as you and nearly everyone on the squad. I angled around a little more and shot the down range target first and then the up range target as I passed by. It avoided a hard stop at that port.

fourtrax> If you were forced to go to both breaks in the walls in the middle of the stage then do that all at once. It does not make sense to stop in the middle twice when you can be hauling ass from left to right in the back of the stage. You have to stop and shoot stuff in the middle of the stage anyway so make that one continous shooting position after you get the back left/right sections done.

One thing to always keep in mind is that it takes about 1.5 seconds to get into and another 1.5 seconds to get out of just about any shooting position. If you are commiting 3 seconds of enter/exit time, make it well worth the time to do it. If you can eliminate extra shooting positions that can save a lot of stage time. This is usually where the top flight GM's spank us on stage time.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Ahh, I see that Coach, thanks. It's these little things I know I can do, but I need to start seeing the possibility. Thanks guys for pointing out this stuff.

I have been at it for awhile. I want to learn where I'm rutted and get out of the rut.

I practiced tonight with my partner. We set up 2 walls with about a foot gap. Then positioned 2 targets behind each wall. Upon start signal we moved to the gap and worked on flowing through the position.

Taking two targets moving in and two moving out. It was a great drill. I got the idea from a stage I shot (video posted, 1st one at top of page, first position after start). Anyway, it was a good practice. I did notice I was better if i got the brakes on a little earlier.

My practice buddy is a new shooter and I think it might have been a tad overwhelming. We plan on Tuesday and Thursday as our regular practice days.

I'm excited about this year of shooting. I have 3 major matches left. Next up, OHIO SECTION!!!!

Shot my first SCSA match today. I gotta say it was fun! Me and two friends took our new GSG-9 .22's. So, it was three of us. It took me almost the whole match to figure out what I neded to do(watch the sights and relax).

I gotta say that it was a different experience. I really enjoyed the shooting. I had to balance my urge to rush each shot and instead really focus on the front sight. I had several runs that broke well below 4 seconds and one or two in the high 2's.

Good day of shooting and I'm really sold on the GSG-9. I wish the trigger was better, but I can work on that myself (Phil). I hear that it can be gotten into the 2-3 lbs range. Of course I spent some time looking at MK III's and all the custom stuff for them(sweet). No scores yet, but I do know that I got beat my friends on a couple of stages. They really liked it and since we all shot GSG-9's and no one had done SCSA before, the competition was fairly even for us.

Practiced a little Steel Challenge type stuff today. I used my STI/Marvel. I really concentrated on not so much the speed, but on "turretting" with my knees.

I just put two plates left and two right with a stop plate in the middle. It was fun and good practice.

I got so excited with SC that I started looking at .22's. Ha on me! I got a dedicated race .22. I'll use it the next time instead of the GSG. DUH.

I was a little slow at the start. I do not have a slide racker and I should have been moving more on the first three targets.

Overall the shoot was good for me, I wish Repete and Joe had shot so as to have a better stick in which to measure my performance.

I did have a good squad.

I notice that during a match, if I do not stay pumped and focused my shooting energy wans. I have to mentally "get tuned" before each stage.

Edited to say: I finished HOA, but my performance was up and down. I finally got a camera and feel free to critique the videos I post. THANKS.

Edited by fourtrax

Stage Gun Type Place A B C D M NS PR LS XS XH Raw Pts Total Pts Stage Points Hit Factor Time

Stage 1 - Supersymmet 1 21 1 4 1             127 127 135.0000 5.1858 24.49

Stage 2 - Crossover 1 14   11 5             124 124 150.0000 7.9233 15.65

Stage 3 - Chokepoint 1 25 2 2               141 141 145.0000 6.1358 22.98

Stage 4 - Door to Door 1 22 6     1 134 124 140.0000 4.7455 26.13

This is just Open. Stage 2, although HOA, I am not happy with my hits. Way too many C&D's. Stage 4 I had my only penalty, a no shoot, I called the shot and immediately made it up. This stage gave me fits. It was a hallway type stage with open doors across from each other. One target per doorway. Basically a long SPEED trap. I knew and recognized it, then shot slow and sluggish until the end, which opened up to some poppers and hardcover paper. I'll

Have to practice this type of stage. I've had fits with them before.

Edited by fourtrax

Sure am! Got enough rounds loaded for it last week and this weekend and will clean and lube the pistols this week. Should be a very eye opening experience for me.

I was a little slow at the start. I do not have a slide racker and I should have been moving more on the first three targets.

Edited to say: I finished HOA, but my performance was up and down. I finally got a camera and feel free to critique the videos I post. THANKS.

I would have reversed the order you took the 1st 3 targets, so as to allow you to move out of position faster.

I would have reversed the order you took the 1st 3 targets, so as to allow you to move out of position faster.

Thanks Chris, you are exactly right. Plus that far target was the first visible. I know this stuff, but I don't get it all together every stage. Visit and critique often, I really appreciate your input!!