Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rifle barrel/comp questions

Corey

So I've been doing some thinking (it can get scary when I get on a roll...) about my rifle and trying to set it up for 3gun use. its a 16" BCM midlength upper with a 1:7" twist barrel. As of now, I just have a regular flash hider on it. I was thinking about taking it off and putting a compensator on it to get me by until I can buy a new upper dedicated for 3gun competitions down the road. It would seem like a cheap alternative to get me into the competitive edge a little earlier and a little cheaper.

Will a 16" barrel with a compensator (miculek, rolling thunder, etc) be able to give me decent velocities or should I hold off on adding a comp until i get an 18" barreled upper? Is this something as easy as viceing up the receiver and popping the hider off and screwing the new comp on? or should I look into someone who can install it for me? I'll need to research what comp i want (yes, I know, tons of threads on here that Ive read already)

thanks!

The comp is very easy to install. I even did one myslef. You just screw the flash hider off and screw the comp on. You may need a crush washer to get it aligned properly if the threads don't match up right but that no big deal.

A good comp will aid in sight recovery, recoil and muzzle rise. Add one ASAP! The rolling thunder is worth every penny. I had one on my Firebird upper and it was bada$$.

The only problems I've heard of people having with 16" barrels is knocking down distant LaRue targets w/ 55 gr bullets. If you use a heavier bullet, there shouldn't be a problem.

As Jesse said, you can install a comp yourself. You might need a heat gun or other heat source to break the locktite on the flash hider so you can take it off. You'll also need some sort of bonding agent (like Locktite) to put the break on.

You will probaly need heat to get the flash hider off, dont over do it. Just use enough to break the loctite loose. A Thunder will not affect your velocity. With 55 gr NBTs at 2950 I have taken flashers out to 325 with my 16in, thats just the fatherest I have shot it, not the limit. Use a washer to clock it up and use BLUE loctite, just a drop. The thunder needs to be removed when you clean the gun to keep the crud out of the expansion chamber(you wont need heat). That chamber is what makes the thunder better. The thunder will take the muzzle bounce and some of the harshness out of the gun, you will be able to see your hits on steel at long range. A break and a good trigger are the two must haves on a three gun rifle.--------Larry

Edited by Larry White

im planning on using a heavier bullet for long range stuff so thats not a problem for me, just wondering if im wasting time and money by doing to a 16" barrel. sounds like something I ought to look into.

What distances do you plan on shooting? I used a 16" Sabre Defence 1 in 7" twist on MGM flash targets at 420 yards using 68 gr bullets and had no problems. My optic was a 1.5-4.5 x 21mm Bushnell I bought off Ebay for $15. Your barrel should be fine.

Another little trick that will help you reduce overall impulse is by putting the bolt carrier and buffer on a diet.

Basically, 3 things (in order) will acheive your goal of reducing recoil/muzzle rise:

1)comp

2)lightened BCG

3)tuned/adjustable gas system

It is a good equation for any Rifle....some will mention weight as well, but once ya got what ya got (weight that is)....the above 3 things will get ya to stay on target shot to shot.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

thanks for the info on dieting my gun. I gotta diet myself first tho, haha.

Im thinking a comp will do for now, then maybe upgrade the BCG later down the road or buy a lighter one for 3gun use and use tBCM one for other uses. we'll see.

I think i may have it narrowed down to 2: Rolling Thunder or a JP. Everyone here seems to love the R.T. but im not sure how it'd look on a park'd barrel with nothing else stainless on the gun(anyone got a pic of theirs?) gonna do some home work this week and prolly get something ordered soon.

thanks for the info on dieting my gun. I gotta diet myself first tho, haha.

Im thinking a comp will do for now, then maybe upgrade the BCG later down the road or buy a lighter one for 3gun use and use tBCM one for other uses. we'll see.

I think i may have it narrowed down to 2: Rolling Thunder or a JP. Everyone here seems to love the R.T. but im not sure how it'd look on a park'd barrel with nothing else stainless on the gun(anyone got a pic of theirs?) gonna do some home work this week and prolly get something ordered soon.

Ask Benny to bead blast it, turns it grey, or paint it with hi temp flat black.-------Larry

About riffle comps/brakes.

A properly designed comp should have negligible effect on velocity or accuracy.

About the length of barrel. Longer barrels (in general but not always) give better velocity. But some comps work as well or better with a shorter barrel.

You may need heat to remove your old flash hider (if it was put on with loctite} but many well desinged comps do NOT need loctite to stay on, Some will use a crush washer that works just fine, so when you put it back on it is easy to change comps.

My opinion is there are brakes better than the ones you mentioned.

Comps/brakes are the cheapest fastest way to reduce recoil and change the characterisics of you rifle. Others have mentioned excellent methods of improvement but just putting on the brake is the easiest and most "bang for your buck". A good AR brake will make your rifle feel like a .22

Corey, In your very first post you asked the question will your 16 inch barrel give you deacent velocities, a 16 inch barrel will only do what it can, example same load shot out of a 16,18, and 20 inch barrels will give all different velocities, it is just easier to get the velocity using a 20 inch barrel with out pumping up you loads and showing extream pressures :cheers:

Edited by Sudden Death

Ranges really depend on what matched I go to,haha. Some local ones have very very short shots (reduced targets to make it a bit harder) while others may reach out to 200-300 yards. The Brownells/DPMS tri-gun is on my list to attend and Ive heard one can have some tricky stuff in it.

Look into the SJC Titan. Its a great comp, and available in Black or stainless. Check out CPWSA.

I have a Bravo Co BFH 16" upper, but I made it into a piston gun with the Adams Arms conversion. This upper with the Titan on it is a sweet combo!