Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post your video of smokeless lead and moly bullet shooting here

bofe954

I am using 4.2gr Universal Clays with a 180gr BBI moly bullet, there is smoke but I do not notice it at all while shooting, as a matter of fact I would have sworn that they don't smoke at all...until I watched my video. :roflol:

I'm fairly certain there is no such thing as shooting lead or moly coated lead without some smoke, but there is quite a range to color and amount.

180gr BBI's and Solo 1000 in my limited guns makes very little smoke. Just do a string search on youtube for SAFriday (no space).

I shot all weekend at the MS Classic with a squad of Lead Shooters and did not know it until the chrono. These guys and gals were all shooting GAT cast lead bullets - no coating. Most were using N320 powder loads. I am going to take a look at GAT bullets (cheaper than Bayou Bullets). Bayou Bullets do not smoke at all as far as I can tell with any powder that I have tried.

Mark K.

I'm fairly certain there is no such thing as shooting lead or moly coated lead without some smoke, but there is quite a range to color and amount.

That was kind of the point of the thread. I keep reading about the no smoke lead and moly but when I shoot it, it smokes. When I see other people shoot it, it's smokey.

I would have sworn that they don't smoke at all...until I watched my video.

I think the above is the reality. Whether it matters or not I think depends on whether you're indoors, outdoors, it's windy, calm, sunny, overcast.

I practice with lead. I shoot at a range with sandy brown berms, if it's still and the sun is setting in front of me, I have a hard time picking out targets when I am focused on my sights. It's better with FMJ. I look at a lot of Ben Stoeger's videos and follow his diary, it's pretty easy to tell whether he's shooting moly or not, and he usually mentions it.

I was just hoping to see the miracle "no smoke lead/moly load" I keep reading about. Maybe it's coming...

there's more to it than that.

out of all the people who claim to shoot lead on this forum, how many of those actually slugged their barrels...in order to figure out what size the cast boolits should be at?

That was kind of the point of the thread. I keep reading about the no smoke lead and moly but when I shoot it, it smokes. When I see other people shoot it, it's smokey.

I would have sworn that they don't smoke at all...until I watched my video.

I think the above is the reality. Whether it matters or not I think depends on whether you're indoors, outdoors, it's windy, calm, sunny, overcast.

I practice with lead. I shoot at a range with sandy brown berms, if it's still and the sun is setting in front of me, I have a hard time picking out targets when I am focused on my sights. It's better with FMJ. I look at a lot of Ben Stoeger's videos and follow his diary, it's pretty easy to tell whether he's shooting moly or not, and he usually mentions it.

I was just hoping to see the miracle "no smoke lead/moly load" I keep reading about. Maybe it's coming...

Weather conditions come into play too. Shooting here in CO with very low humidity and a considerable lack of O2, they don't smoke hardly at all unless you are shooting something like TG. When I was tinkering in MD with 9mm moly loads, the smoke was much more with all that humidity and O2. Wind comes into play as to how long it remains in front of you. BTW, 147gr Precision with TG is one of the most accurate round I ever shot out of a pistol, but you had to take a break between every 5-6 rounds to let the smoke clear to find the targets again. It was like shooting black powder, no joke.

• 2 weeks later...

there's more to it than that.

out of all the people who claim to shoot lead on this forum, how many of those actually slugged their barrels...in order to figure out what size the cast boolits should be at?

I have. .357 slugs at .3575, 9mm slugs at .3555, and 10mm slugs at .4005. My G30 I had slugged at .4512. First thing after I buy a new pistol is slug the bore.

It's a .40, 4.9 Solo 1000 with 180 grain Bear Creek bullets.

I sell these bullets and this is why I tell people--you can get the performance of jacketed at hardly more than a cast lead/lubed bullet. Watch the video and see for yourself.

Edited by twodownzero

It may be possible soon. It's not the bullet/powder combo but the barrel design that will change how you see the smoke, or "not" see the smoke. I've done some cuttin', grindin' and testing and came up with something that will help those that like shooting lead but don't like smoke. If I still have the pictures I'll try to post some tonight.