4.0 clays

1.230 oal

avg 730 fps

168 pf

180gr jhp

4.1 tightgroup

1.2 oal

havent chrono'd these yet.

the 9mm felt good. but the 45 for some reason weren't as soft as i thought they would be.

Ben

i found the same thing when i tried Clays in .45. had to go to 4.3 (with a 200 gr bullet) to make PF with a little cushion and maybe I too was expecting something better, but i did not care for it. it smoked much more and felt much worse than the titegroup loads.

Is N320 really that much better of a powder or are people using it just because thats what everyone is using?

There's a reason it's sold out everywhere. It really is better, and worth every penny.

Meters better than any flake or ball powder. Consistent, commonly yielding single-digit SDs. Fast enough to give mild recoil but not too fast to be dangerous. Fouling so light you can clean your gun with dry patches.

Personally I prefer N310, but IMHO N320 is objectively the best powder on the market for USPSA iron-sight divisions.

I use N320 in all three. It is worth every penny. Gee Whiz, some people quibble over a few extra bucks it costs but the results speak for themselves. I usually put an order in for 12-16 pounds when I am down to my last four pounds. When it shows up I just stash it away.

I am really not one for experimenting with different powders. I put a lot of hours in at work, raised a family and tried to practice. I do not own a chrono but borrow a friends, so load development it just a PIA for me. VV has been extremely consistent over the past 10 years.

Best thing is when I shoot, I do not have to wait for the smoke to clear to see the targets. :-).

It is a very clean powder for me.

TG, Solo 1000, WST, WSF, N320

All have advantages and disadvantages. TG makes coal train smoke with lead and moly bullets; Solo 1000 power lots fluxuate like a pregnant woman's emotions and doesn't throw very well but overall works with just about any bullet in all three calibers; WST very reverse temp sensitive; WSF is the slowest of them all; N320 is twice the price as all of the above.

With jacketed bullets, go with TG. With lead, Solo or WST. Independently wealthy or buy the hype that 320 is twice as good as the rest, then get the N320. I've shot them all in all three calibers... I shoot TG and Solo exclusively based on the bullet.

I use SOLO 1000 in 9, 40, and 45.

I have used it at Area 6 in my 9 minor load, Florida open 9 minor, RM300 40 major, SSC 45 major.

It is not super expensive and works well in all three calibers.

Randy

Same here. Use it in all 3. Works great. "I put that **** in everything!"

I've heard 231 is very temperature sensitive. I have never used it so don't quote me on that.

I use Solo 1000. I used to use Clays for .45 but I'm switching to S1000 for everything. 9mm Minor, .40 Major, .45 Major...it does it all.

Solo 1000 works great in all three. I use BBI 147gr 9mm, BBI 180gr .40, BBI 230gr .45

My match load for 9mm is 3.5gr Solo 1000 1.130" oal (134pf) and I don't remember what it is for .45 (I'm at work)

in .40 I use 5gr of Unique at 1.140", because it is a bit more accurate in my limited Glock 35 at 172PF. Difference in muzzle flip is negligible. About the same as 4.4gr Titegroup and 180gr Zero JHP, but cheaper and easier to find.

Solo is still very good in .40 though.

Edited by dsmw5142

I have had experiences similar to everyone experience with VV 320 using VV 340. I have used it with 9mm, 38super and 45. I like that it is clean and does not cause lots of smoke like some others.