Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Recommend a Timer

I am new to USPSA shooting, and my 10yo son and I are both shooting. I would like to get a timer and would appreciate any recommendations. Here are some things I think I would like:

I would like it to have a "par time" function so that when I am doing dryfire practice alone I can see if I can come in under a preset time.

In addition to practicing with my son each week, I also go to the range alone a couple of times per week. I would like it if there was a way to delay the time from the press of the "go button" (or whatever it's called) until the actual "start beep". I would like to be able to have the timer next to me at the range and be able to press the go button and get my hand back to a natural position before the start beep goes off.

Looking at Shooters Connection the CED7000 looks pretty popular. I can see that it has a par time function, but can't tell if there is any way to delay the starting beep. I'm not sure being able to delay the beep is possible with any of the timers?

Any thoughts or advice on features or a particular model of timer would really be appreciated.

Edited by drysideshooter

The CED 7000 has a number of different delay settings. For dry fire practice, I usually leave it on "Random" which picks a time between 3-5seconds before the beep. You can also set a specific, non-changing delay. The CED 7000 pretty much has all the bells and whistles you could ever possibly want (except the ability to download strings to a computer) the only down side is the screen is small and hard to read for those will aging eyes.

P.S. With the sensitivity turned all the way up and the timer attached to my wrist it will even pick up my gas powered airsoft gun (KSC G34).

Edited by blind bat

I too use a CED 7000 for both live fire and dryfire/airsoft. i dont have a wrist strap but i place it on a cabinet in front of me and below my hands. I've only used about 10% of the available features on it. I really like how compact and light it is. very easy to clip to your belt or pocket and time yourself.

I have the CED8000. It's much larger but had features that I like (and use). First is the output jack for earphones. Much of my dryfire practice takes place when my wife and daughter are sleeping, so this was a big plus. It also has a jack that accepts input from a stop plate. I use this when shooting airsoft to record my overall time. it has some additional features, but if you don't need any of them just get the CED7000.

Ditto... CED7000. I thought about the 8000 because of the "headphones" feature and dryfire practice at home. But the 7000 won out. The "low" setting on it isn't really that loud though.

The first timer I bought was a Speedtimer. It works well and is very tough. The only problem is... it sucks for dry fire because the par times can only be set in .5 second increments.

I ended up getting the Pocket Pro II because I could not see the small screen on the 7000. If thats not a problem for you it will do everything you want it to do and more.

I ended up getting the Pocket Pro II because I could not see the small screen on the 7000. If thats not a problem for you it will do everything you want it to do and more.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/pocket_pro_II.html

It's what I use too. Big buttons on it easy to read and it's built like a tank. I've dropped mine on the concrete a number of times and it still works fine.

As a side note: If you drop these and it doesn't come on. Remove the 9v battery and pull the contact tangs outward a bit to contact the battery. this is a common deal after one is dropped.

Best,

JT

Edited by JThompson

Thanks for all of the useful info everyone. It sounds like the 7000 will work well for me. The indoor range I usually shoot at has a shelf in front of the shooting positions, and it sounds like I can set the timer there with a bit of a delay. I hadn't thought about putting it on my belt, though with mag pouches there isn't a lot of room, though I could make a spot for practice. I think I will order a CED7000 and some other stuff from Shooters Connection.