Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone else NOT drop their mags?

Will B. Droopy

GrumpyOne

In your first post, you said "When I practice for or shoot in a PD match,". My bad, I assumed you were LEO. PD does stand for Police Department, right? It could stand for "Personal Defense", or "Plain Dumb". :goof:

Carry on!

I used PD in reference to USPSA's Production Division class...

-Bill

Edited by Will B. Droopy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GrumpyOne

In your first post, you said "When I practice for or shoot in a PD match,". My bad, I assumed you were LEO. PD does stand for Police Department, right? It could stand for "Personal Defense", or "Plain Dumb". :goof:

Carry on!

-Bill

Like I said, Plain dumb....me, that is.... :wacko:

But I'm not a LEO, or I would 100% agree with you about the need for spare mags and a BUG. In fact, the only reason I carry everywhere I go in public, rather than just in the big cities, is that I was a (willing) witness two years ago in Federal criminal court against two really crazy people :( , so my wife and I are still rather paranoid about reprisals. (One of those nice folks just got released last month, BTW).

But I still don't see how I could ever need more than 15+1 unless, as I said, I was a LEO (or in Iraq): my main defense will continue to be good situational awareness, combined with a skilled 'sneaker defense'! :o

-Bill

It really doesn't matter whether you can foresee the reason now or not. If you could do that, you'd just stay home ;)

There's a long list of possible scenarios (malfunction being one, accidentally dropping mag being another...oops, it's dark, can't find it), but it's not worth going into detail for a couple of reasons. One, this isn't a self-defense forum and two (no offense) but you've already made up your mind.

Personally, if we were friends, I'd tell you to pull your head out and then go on to remind you that I'd be pissed if something happened to you. ;) Whenever I see threads like this I have to chuckle because it's almost always someone just looking for support for their oddball theory, not really trying to decide if it's the right way to go about things. 25 people tell them it's a bad idea, 2 people tell them they agree and all they hear are the 2 :blink:

Mags are consumables just like ammo. They're designed to be dropped, repeatedly, but sooner or later, they need to be replaced. If you can't clean two or three mags in a couple of minutes, something's wrong. If you'd rather practice something that will make you less competitive, and less safe just because you don't want to get your mags dirty (they really aren't precious items), knock yourself out, but I'm pretty sure that most experts at either competition or self-defense would call it a bad idea. R,

-Bill

Just Production Division. Guns are Divided into Divisions. Shooters are Classified by shooting Classifiers. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Whenever I see threads like this I have to chuckle because it's almost always someone just looking for support for their oddball theory, not really trying to decide if it's the right way to go about things. 25 people tell them it's a bad idea, 2 people tell them they agree and all they hear are the 2 :blink:

Mags are consumables just like ammo. They're designed to be dropped, repeatedly, but sooner or later, they need to be replaced.

I agree with you on "25 people tell them it's a bad idea, 2 people tell them they agree and all they hear are the 2". I guess it's just human nature. :surprise:

But as to the mags: I'm not concerned with mag damage itself; I'm concerned with damage and wear to the pistol from grit. Unfortunately, unlike many folks here and elsewhere, I do consider a firearm as far more than a mere "tool", but also as a work of art and a miracle of precision mechanical technology. :wub:

I can maltreat a hammer or a hacksaw or a screwdriver in my home shop, but not an expensive and beautiful gun. (All of my firearms, some that I have owned since '72, may have some holster wear, but that's it). :mellow:

I've always been that way with beautiful things, and I guess at my age I will never change! :blush:

-Bill

'Tis the reason my BHP is in the safe, not to be taken to another match. Will I shoot it again? Definitely, but not in the rough and tumble world of competition.

Chuckle with me, my friend.

If the BHP was more competitive in this sport, I'd still be shootin gone. The HPs I own tend to feed most anything that fits the magazine, and can get just cruddy and still function. I've dropped mags for them in the sand around here, and I just knock em on my leg to get the majority of the sand out, then stoke em up and use them. No malfunctions from the sand. I've had some from my previously poor reloading practices, but not from sand. Now mud and pea gravel can really ruin your day, but a little dirt should not be a show stopper.

Now my Glock seems alot like the BHP, but now I just have gotten in the habit of cleaning mags pretty fast with an old sock inside out. It is cheap, works really good, and I now have so many mags, that I just load a shipload of them up anyway so that I'm only having to clean one or two at a time anyway. I mean, how long does that take?

In a nutshell, drop them ,and get really good at reloading as fast as you can. It's fun, and it looks cool too.

JZ

You can do whatever you want, but I hate guns that don't run dirty, with pebbles in the mags, and mud on the sights. I've always dropped my mags and MAYBE cleaned them every other match. With my current production gun, I haven't disassembled my mags in almost a year, I just wipe down the outside to keep them from rusting to bad, and I shoot on sand and gravel to much. I take them apart when you can shake them and hear the sand inside rattle, I figure some twisted RO might accuse me of using weighted mags :)

I really don't like picky guns for USPSA. I own some picky ones but they are just for plinking.

You can do whatever you want, but I hate guns that don't run dirty, with pebbles in the mags, and mud on the sights. I've always dropped my mags and MAYBE cleaned them every other match. With my current production gun, I haven't disassembled my mags in almost a year, I just wipe down the outside to keep them from rusting to bad, and I shoot on sand and gravel to much. I take them apart when you can shake them and hear the sand inside rattle, I figure some twisted RO might accuse me of using weighted mags :)

By just reading your post, Vlad, made me go and clean my already spotless guns! :D

-Bill

Folks who treat their guns only as works of art tend not to be very good at using them from what I've seen :closedeyes:

Well, actually, I am pretty good at using my guns B) , but I think Kcult is right: I need to purchase a 100% tool, which would logically be the ubiquous and boring Glock :sick: . That way, since the Glock's already so ugly and utilitarian -- but tough as nails and as reliable as a hammer -- I would not break-a-sweat in abusing the heck out of it. No emotional attachment there. :surprise:

-Bill

In a match context, its a free country but don't worry about getting GM, I think B is pretty much impossible by not dropping your mags. I don't put mud covered mags in any gun but I don't hesitate to drop my $150 SV mag and use it on the next stage(after wipe down) in my 3K racegun. I tap them if its dusty 's and put them away for later compelete cleaning if I am shooting the mudbowl Nationals.

Even in SS they don't all usually get mudbogged on every stage. Its usually one or two.

Edited by BSeevers

By just reading your post, Vlad, made me go and clean my already spotless guns! :D

What can I say, I rather shoot then clean, specially mid match. I'll wipe down my gear when I'm done (or next day if I forget) and add some oil to it, but actually there is a second reason behind this. I actually want to know what will make my guns fail and how much it that it would take. It doesn't matter how good of a shooter you are, if you gear doesn't work then you can't shoot your best. Once you know how much abuse your guns can take you can slack off on polishing them down until you get close to the 80% or so of the limits. You never know when your gun needs to shoot dirty, muddy, wet, etc so might as well make sure it can always run that way :)

Thats what I tell myself anyway.

Edited by Vlad

Well, actually, I am pretty good at using my guns B)

I wasn't addressing my earlier comment at you, just saying that the vast majority of folks who treat all of their guns like artwork can't shoot them all that well. I've got a couple I'm exceedingly careful with, but my match guns and carry guns don't fall into that category, regardless of how much I've spent on them.

What's pretty good anyway....doesn't mean much since it's all relative.

Couple of guys I shoot IDPA matches with never let a mag hit the floor. They are aware of the time it costs and feel they would rather stow em than drop em.

Thanks Merlin! I feel the exact same way as those folks: I know it slows me down to stow 'em, but that's the price I

Notice he said IDPA. Not the same as USPSA Production.

In IDPA, speed is not as large of determinant to your score. (depending on your skill level, my math shows this at factor of 2x - 5x plus)

And, in IDPA, they max out the stage size at 18 rounds. That is one reload (if you are shooting a 10 rounder). In USPSA Production, you will be shooting 32 round course fairly regularly. That is 4 mags, and I often get into a 5th mag (since my reloads don't cost me much time, I often choose to nail an extra reload to free up how I negotiate a course of fire).

Those few folks that don't drop mags, they likely either don't want to clean them (which, you do), or they don't want to bend over (due to a bad back, for instance).

And, I've heard a lot, but I just don't hear much about folks wearing out their guns due to dirty mags.

I have stepped on one of my glock mags, in gravel, and sorta rode it like a skate board for 18 inches of so. Gashed it up a bit, but it still works great to this day. I think it is in my carry gun as we speak (it has earned my trust).

The great thing is...USPSA is freestyle. So, row your own boat any way you like. biggrin.gif

I do think you would enjoy the game a bit more if you get something you feel a bit free about using.

If you wear one of these out, come back and let me know (I know how many rounds it takes :) ) .

post-690-127403738204_thumb.jpg

Have seen it done occasionally. They are very inexperienced shooters. A lot of times they are not new shooters but have done more reading of shooting articles than actual shooting.

If they stay they figure out that it's OK to drop mags. If necessary wipe between stages.

Quickly reinserting a magazine into a mag pouch.....maybe think twice about the word "quickly" used in that context.

Couple of guys I shoot IDPA matches with never let a mag hit the floor. They are aware of the time it costs and feel they would rather stow em than drop em.

Thanks Merlin! I feel the exact same way as those folks: I know it slows me down to stow 'em, but that's the price I

Notice he said IDPA. Not the same as USPSA Production.

In IDPA, speed is not as large of determinant to your score. (depending on your skill level, my math shows this at factor of 2x - 5x plus)

And, in IDPA, they max out the stage size at 18 rounds. That is one reload (if you are shooting a 10 rounder). In USPSA Production, you will be shooting 32 round course fairly regularly. That is 4 mags, and I often get into a 5th mag (since my reloads don't cost me much time, I often choose to nail an extra reload to free up how I negotiate a course of fire).

Those few folks that don't drop mags, they likely either don't want to clean them (which, you do), or they don't want to bend over (due to a bad back, for instance).

And, I've heard a lot, but I just don't hear much about folks wearing out their guns due to dirty mags.

I have stepped on one of my glock mags, in gravel, and sorta rode it like a skate board for 18 inches of so. Gashed it up a bit, but it still works great to this day. I think it is in my carry gun as we speak (it has earned my trust).

The great thing is...USPSA is freestyle. So, row your own boat any way you like. biggrin.gif

I do think you would enjoy the game a bit more if you get something you feel a bit free about using.

If you wear one of these out, come back and let me know (I know how many rounds it takes :) ) .

post-690-127403738204_thumb.jpg

Flex, that is one ugly mother, but I bet it shoots good!

Well, actually, I am pretty good at using my guns B)

What's pretty good anyway....doesn't mean much since it's all relative.

I was just being modest when I said I was "pretty good". To be far more precise, I am officially classified as "damn good". :cheers:

-Bill

Again, that's subjective....what is pretty damn good? I'm not all that great, but I'm going to beat anybody who doesn't drop their mags. R,