Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights

Lee Watne

I have an old Caspian FOFS that is .075" with a standard Bomar .125" rear. It has a fiber that is .040 diameter. I have, with my hold on the gun, as much light on either side of the FS in the RS notch as the FS itself, and I like it.

I don't know if Caspian still sells this version any more.

Many at my club have a widened "U" shaped rear notch, as wide as 0.156 with a 0.1 or 0.11 front blade! I widened the rear site on my CZ to about 0.150" and I like it a lot. I don't think there's any loss of accuracy, but it seems as though you can get more information faster from those sights than "tighter" sights.

DD

On my .45 GM, front sight blade width is .090", rear sight notch is .125". I like seeing a LOT of front sight, so I had the rear notch considerably deepened, and the front sight is so tall the pistolsmith actually had to make it out of a blank. Hey, what can I say? It works for me.

On the guns I used to shoot, I had the front shaved down to 0.090-0.100 inches wide. Lately I've had to deal with the stock sights Kimber installs, which are 0.125 inches (the industry standard). I've learned to adapt, but they are troublesome on targets farther than 25 yards or so. They suck at 50 yards because you can even see the paper anymore. Forget about a pepper popper!

I have a 0.100 inch wide night sight I had custom made for my Kimber eclipse, but I'm going to wait until after I get my carry Para back in action before I mess with it.

I use 0.125 for both front and rear. My brain just deals with this better. I tried a 0.090 front sight because a year ago everyone was saying that was THE way to go and my brain always would align the front site to one side of the rear notch or the other. Switched to a 0.125 front and life was suddenly better.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this whole thing is yet another one of those "matter of personal preference" things.

Find what works for you and go with it.

This is an amazing personal question. Even the top shooters cannot agree.

* Sevigny uses a plain black square .100 front and a rear that is at least 150.

* Last year I saw Jarrett using a plain black .100 front. In the 4 years, I have seen him using a .090 square front, a .090 "stepped" front and a .100 square front. I have no idea what his rear is.

* Leatham uses a Dawson fiber front (probably .090 to .100)

* BE's sights are a .090 front and a .110 rear (at least I think they used to be)

* Langdon swears by a fiber front that is around .100 and a rear that is about .125

* The last time I handled Strader's gun, I think he had a plain black .100 or so front and a .125 or so rear.

erik warren: I don't think that the .125 rear is too wide for a .100 front. I think that the minimum difference between the front and the rear should be about .020 and yours is only .025 or so.

Personally I like a .090 plain black square front and a .110 rear. I am trying a .120 rear for lower lighting indoor matches.

Thanks for the info David. That's some interesting stuff. I'll agree personal preference plays a large role.

I will also agree with your setup, as mine is similar:

.090 black front (mine is serrated) and a .110 (maybe .112?) rear notch.

I have played with the idea of trying a .100-.105 front with the .125 rear, but I have been really happy with the .090/.110 setup and am hesitant to change at the moment.

Interestingly enough about TJ's setup, Dawson Precision used to sell a Bo-mar rear sight with the gunsmith blade in which they cut a narrower notch. I believe it was a .095" rear notch and I seem to remember them advertising it as what TJ used (along with the stepped fiber optic front sight that David mentioned). I can't find either on their website anymore though. I'll dig around some more later.

Thanks for all the input. I talked to the people that are the custom shop for Trijicon inserts,and they say you can put one in a .100" width front sight as long as you have enough length. I have an idea the older you get the more light you need in your sight picture. The sights start looking like a glob of black lint when the front sight fills up the rear sight too much. Poor lighting conditions make it worse too. The .100 FS and .125 RS notch is what I'm going for. Well, now you young guys know what you have to look forward to.