Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new from TEXAS

will fowler

New here. I know almost nothing about this sport except my friend SV-Cop really likes it and had told me some about it. I am interested in it so here I am. I have no gun right now. I sold my XD357 this year. I am former law enforcement and currently a recruiter for the National Guard. But hopefully by next month I will be hired By Texas DPS and be in the next academy. Anyways I need a gun for production class. I loved my XD and like the new XDm. But I was told the GLock is better for this sport. The Glock dosnt feel as good in my hand but If it shoots better for this sport I can get used to it. Chime in. Thanks

Will,

Welcome to the forum...Trace is telling you the absolute truth - you'll have a blast with this sport.

If you're free this coming Tuesday evening at 630pm, you're welcome to give my Glock 34 a spin at our

INTRO to Tuesday After Work Steel Plate event (related link). It's very similar shooting...just all steel vs. paper/steel in USPSA.

There may be someone there with an XDM that you could try as well.

I KNOW that someone will be there and let you try her S&W M&P Pro (very comparable gun to the XDM and the G34).

Edited by joseywales

My advice is to shoot what you are comfortable with and try a couple different guns before choosing. I don't think I am alone in this, but it will be awhile before my choice in pistol will be holding me back...

Welcome to the metroplex and I hope to see you at some of the matches! Check out the Dallas Pistol Shooters website and dfwshooters.org for upcoming matches.

I also suggest that you shoot what you like and feels good to you. I personally use a Beretta 92D when I shoot production division, but primarity shoot revolver division. I use a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 45 Colt in revolver division, and that is definitely not the type of revolver that people would suggest for that division.

Since you already have experience with the XD, I would suggest that as a starting point. That said as others have suggested try as many handguns as you can. Glocks don't feel good or point well for me, and have a different grip angle than any other handgun that I have. Aside from the Beretta 92D, I have a S&W M&P .45 that I shoot. Both feel better and shoot better for me than the Glocks that I have wielded.

Wecome to the sport, and good luck with your professional endeavours.

Buy every gun you think you might want to shoot. When you decide on the one you like the best, put the rest of them in the safe.................. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

If I lived by that, this :sight::sight: would be my wife and I !!!!!!

Welcome. Just go to matches and ask guys to shoot their guns after the match is over. I've let a few people shoot mine.

BSG

Welcome, Will! wow all you guys are great! you are even willing to help your fellow shooter brotherin test your weapons to help him get the feel of things ! I gotta check out the USPSA for sure!