Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 64-5 open gun

Beladran

I have a custom built Smith 64-5 38spl open gun for action pistol it has a bull barrel, barricade wings stick shift base, aim point the works... Why do I always feel out of place and get odd looks when everyone pulls out 8 shot PC Smiths? I can shoot moa groups @ 50 with it so why do I need to fallow the croud??

Gee mister that shure is a nice lookin' rig! :cheers: Riddle those 8 shooters' score sheets full of x's! Six shooters rule!...until I get an eight shooter or they come out with a ten shooter of centerfire mass production. :roflol:

Edited by Forrest Halley

It's an OPEN Bianchi Gun by picture, but you didn't state Bianchi. My question: Are you shooting USPSA Major PF loads out of a K frame S&W? If so what is the load? I"m not a IPSC shooter but isn't the major PF 165K?

Ou experience is that K frame smiths will not hold up to Bianchi PF of 120K if using jacketed bullets, usually 125 gr. The barrels crack at 6 o'clock at the throat very regularly.

Thanks,

MJ

It's an OPEN Bianchi Gun by picture, but you didn't state Bianchi. My question: Are you shooting USPSA Major PF loads out of a K frame S&W? If so what is the load? I"m not a IPSC shooter but isn't the major PF 165K?

Ou experience is that K frame smiths will not hold up to Bianchi PF of 120K if using jacketed bullets, usually 125 gr. The barrels crack at 6 o'clock at the throat very regularly.

Thanks,

MJ

Wow I never heard that one before. Power Factor of 125 is pretty mild. My cup gun was built on a 681 L frame, I had 50,000 rounds on that before I sold it and its still going strong today. I knew several people that ran K frames for years without any problems. It must depend on the barrel.

its not a ipsc gun, well i dont do ipsc with it. Heck you can easily do a 125 pf with most factory junk loads.

Beldran, you would be suprized at the number of factory loads that will not even make 120 pf in the stock revos. I used to shoot my open K frames in the Combat steel matches (prior to my IPSC daliance). I have seen several cracked forcing cones in the K frames where they were flattened to allow room for the yoke so the cylinder would shut. But on mine it was the light bullet traveling real fast. Had absoultly no probs with the 160 grain bullet even at 130 pf. They look great for the Open Revo in Bianchi. :cheers: later rdd

Great looking gun. Remember in Bianchi you don't shoot more than 6 in a string so just laugh at the 7 and 8 shooters are you plaster the X-ring. Even in ICORE, accuracy is king. you don't need the extra rounds, shoot all A's as fast as you can and you won't go wrong.