Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Moonclip Stuff

Lubecktech

I enjoy making as much of my own gear as possible. I usually don't save alot of money when I finish buying the materials and necessary tools but I learn things that have many other applications plus have fun in the process. Has anyone made their own holders for loaded clips and if so how? What about a Moonclip straightening tool or apparatus?

+1 at the IRC you will see many inovations. I got a Speederack from Elliot and just modified the post to add magnets to the equation. I saw the magnets at the IRC many years ago. Richard Koester had the first one I saw and they were mounted on his belt horozontaly (sp). One guy took it a step farther and mounted the magnets on springs so they would give when leaning over or twisting. I was looking for Steve's name but could not find it. I have a collection of info on many of the different moonclip and speedloader holders available, but that is not what you were looking for. later rdd

I had some kydex laying around and made a couple of moon clip holders. They work pretty slick for now since I don't have the cash for the real deal North Mountain setup for the center of gravity challenged crew, but I will eventually just end up buying the NM when I get the cash, and use the Homebrewed version as spares.

I also made a de-mooning tool from a piece of copper pipe cutoff I got for free from the hardware store. I plugged one end, and It's long enough that I can empty two clips into it, then conveniently dump the cases in my brass bag.

I'd like to see how people are making moon clip checkers and clip straighteners though!

Edited by Stradawhovious

I had some kydex laying around and made a couple of moon clip holders. They work pretty slick for now since I don't have the cash for the real deal North Mountain setup for the center of gravity challenged crew, but I will eventually just end up buying the NM when I get the cash, and use the Homebrewed version as spares.

I also made a de-mooning tool from a piece of copper pipe cutoff I got for free from the hardware store. I plugged one end, and It's long enough that I can empty two clips into it, then conveniently dump the cases in my brass bag.

I'd like to see how people are making moon clip checkers and clip straighteners though!

Moonclip straighteners are not legal in CA :lol:

Moonclip straighteners are not legal in CA :lol:

Tha's ok, I have it on good authority that Strad is from NOT California, so he is legal. :devil: later rdd

Good Morning,

For IDPA, I made moon clip holders with Safariland speed loader holders (CD-2 I think) and Rem 300 SAUM rifle brass. I drilled and tapped the primer pocket to 1/4-20 and punched a hole in the holders. (Good luck drilling the spring steel) The 300 WSM brass should also work, as it is also fairly short and the case body is a good diameter to support the cartridges.

I made my moon clip holder and drop offset bracket for my holster from some .095 kydex from knifekits.com and a moon clip unloader from a piece of conduit and athletic tape. I don't have any pictures to atatch mabey I will get some posted later. lots of fun and let me get into revolver shooting for a lot less money now I need to make a moon clip loader to save my fingers.

Mike

To straighten my moon clips, I bought a couple of large washers at the local hardware, and a large bolt and nut, don't know the exact size, but they were big enough for .45 moons. Put the bolt through one washer, add the moons and another washer and then the nut. Tighten down until you can't tighten anymore and toss on the bench for a couple of weeks. Seems to work well. If they are bent too much for that to work, I just toss them in the trash.

I enjoy making as much of my own gear as possible. I usually don't save alot of money when I finish buying the materials and necessary tools but I learn things that have many other applications plus have fun in the process. Has anyone made their own holders for loaded clips and if so how? What about a Moonclip straightening tool or apparatus?

I use the Ranch Products moonclips and find it's not worth the bother of starightening the few that get stepped on. Their 45 ACP moonclips were $25 or $35/100 and the others were $75/100.

Here's the holder I finished today to hold loaded moons in my range bag. It fits in a Shooters Connection Inner Bag. I made the first one out of wood, but the dowels were splintering so I used delrin rod.

post-370-12749378181_thumb.jpg

post-370-127493783133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Gonsalves