Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The moment of ignition

Catfish

Thanks folks - of the several thousand images I've taken of shooters over the last year, I have a whopping TWO that capture this moment... and they are both of Rhonda. Go figure. ;)

Am I the only one thinking that this is not the moment of ignition, but rather about a millisecond after the bullet left the barrel? (Not trying to be an a-hole, just an engi-nerd that can't let little details slide.) Cool photo! :)

It's a great pic and I think the bullet has left the barrel. I don't think you'd see the barrel lit up like that if the bullet was still in the barrel as all that light/heat would be stuck behind it...

I have a similar picture of Miculek from 2009 Nationals with a bullet about 2" out of the barrel and it's lit up just like yours.

They are one-in-a-million shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, about one in a thousand. If you want to improve the odds of catching something like this, you need to plan for it. (Warning: camera talk ahead.)

Use a camera on a tripod, on remote. (that part should be obvious.)Then get the weather on your side. You want overcast, the heavier the better. Cool to cold weather, and the more humid, the better.

Go to manual on the camera. Set it for the largest aperture (smallest numerical figure) the lens allows, and thus max shutter speed. You want to freeze action. Set focus manually (to preclude camera delay from re-focusing all the time) at the muzzle.

Then shoot a couple of thousand digital photos at max frame rate, while doing full-magazine dumps. You'll lose count of the shots with brass in the air. You'll get hundreds of slides in motions, and one or two of muzzle flash.

Catching it in a match, that's good luck.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...