Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one run a 610?

nsginc

I have a 6.5" that I use occasionally. The cylinder is chamfered big time to try and get a smooth consistent reload. Warren ended up pinning the star for me because my chamfer got a bit deep into the star's lugs. I use my Limited gun loads in it and really like the set up.

But, you can get a good cylinder chamfer easier with a 625 in 45 ACP. Also, there are better bullet profiles available for the 45. Just my opinion.

Chris

i shoot a carmonized 4 inch with round nose billy bullets and rimz moonclips

Are you having any difficulties with the different brass manufacturers? Something about the thickness of that groove? How are you liking the billy bullets? I saw that they are the only round nose maker around.

I shoot a Carmonized 5" 610 pre lock no dash with scherer clips ($2.71/5 @ Brownells) and it works extremely well with everything but speer - too loose. My wheel will not work with RIMZ. I set Winchester only clips aside for classifiers but the best brass for the clips I have found is S&B. Too bad there is not a lot of this brass around.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

i have mixed brass, mostly speer and a thousand of starline, i have no problems with any of it.. i always hand prime my cases to make sure they are deep seated. berry's makes a plated round nose but I only run Billy bullets in mine... i have no problem reloading with those bullets.... i do wish my gun was at least a 5 inch but 4 is what i got... and Billy Bullets are the shiznit :)

I had been shooting a 6.5 inch 610-2 classic for a long time.. but this year switched to a 627 for the IRC.. I also have 2 - 610-3's in both the 4 and 6.5 inch tubes. Both of those are pretty much stock. I'd like to shoot them for a while before getting any work done on them.. and it's kind of nice to have revolvers that can shoot any ammo I feed em as opposed to my older -2 that likes only ammo primed with Federal 100's.

As for brass, it will eat anything but for consistency's sake, I tend to only load and shoot Winchester brass since that is what I have the most of. I have like 5000+ of Winnies.. and I had a bullet mi=old made specifically for the 610.. an elongated 185 RN that drops into the cylinders nicely.

Run might be optomistic for what i do but i shoot a 5" prelock (dont remember dash or no) i use the clips from brownells and the moon holders from there as well they are designed for 45 but seem to work fine. the gun is basically stock except for wolf mainspring. I am shooting 180 jhp montana gold because that is what i use in para and glock. so long story short there is a lot i could do different that would improve my "running". and i use mixed brass.

Edited by brnhp35

I just bought a 4" 610 last year and probably won't use it in competition this year as, with the exception of a FO front sight and pachmyer decellerators, is is stock and I have not decided what if any alterations I will have done yet. At the moment I am breaking it in with 180gr RN Billy Bullets and 4.7 gr of Universal Clays. I use mixed range brass with no problems and would definately recommend a moon clip loading tool from this guy http://mooncliptool.com/ well worth the money and a very QUALITY tool promptly shipped too! The best coated bullets I have found are Bayou Bullets but they don't have a RN bullet. Billy Bullets are good as long as you have a really good bell on the case when you seat the bullet and crimp just enough keep the bullet from jumping forward but not so much as to scrape the coating when it is fired. The bayou bullets seem to have a tougher coating.

Edited by Lubecktech

I just bought a 610 last year and probably won't use it in competition this year as, with the exception of a FO front sight and pachmyer decellerators, is is stock and I have not decided what if any alterations I will have done yet. At the moment I am breaking it in with 180gr RN Billy Bullets and 4.7 gr of Universal Clays. I use mixed range brass with no problems and would definately recommend a moon clip loading tool from this guy http://mooncliptool.com/ well worth the money and a very QUALITY tool promptly shipped too! The best coated bullets I have found are Bayou Bullets but they don't have a RN bullet. Billy Bullets are good as long as you have a really good bell on the case when you seat the bullet and crimp just enough keep the bullet from jumping forward but not so much as to scrape the coating when it is fired. The bayou bullets seem to have a tougher coating.

I just bought a 610 last year and probably won't use it in competition this year as, with the exception of a FO front sight and pachmyer decellerators, is is stock and I have not decided what if any alterations I will have done yet. At the moment I am breaking it in with 180gr RN Billy Bullets and 4.7 gr of Universal Clays. I use mixed range brass with no problems and would definately recommend a moon clip loading tool from this guy http://mooncliptool.com/ well worth the money and a very QUALITY tool promptly shipped too! The best coated bullets I have found are Bayou Bullets but they don't have a RN bullet. Billy Bullets are good as long as you have a really good bell on the case when you seat the bullet and crimp just enough keep the bullet from jumping forward but not so much as to scrape the coating when it is fired. The bayou bullets seem to have a tougher coating.

I shot a 610 for many years & it worked great, I cast my own round nose slugs using a Ballasticast mould, one was a 165 RN, the other & the one I used most was a 205 RN, it loaded very fast, I never felt handicapped using the 40 as opposed to the 45.

Dick

aaand after shooting it again this past weekend I keep finding myself asking why I choose the 627 when the 610 is, IMO, a better fit for me.. I didn't have enough loaded ammo for a match so I swapped back to my 610.. and did very well with it.. 15th out of 31 shooters.. I'm having a hard time deciding which to bring to Morro bay.. again..