Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Gen 4 G17 vs Gen 3

Beretta Lover

Well I strapped on a friends Gen 3 G34 and another guys Gen 3 G22 after a local match and tried their Glocks to see "if anything had changed" with my draw and grip on Glocks since I got away from the G.

I think shotting a Beretta exclusively for a while has sort of developed my scoop draw to the point where I dont grip the gun so high that I get the heinous Big Hand Slide Bite.

I was able to make a bunch of .90 A zone hits from the holster and consistent 1.3s when I really took my time without getting bit.

So Im going to pick up a G17 (or a 34) and fool around with it a little. Here are a few questions.

Does the Gen4 gun have the ability to use a backstap so it approximates the grip of Gen e gun if I decide I like/need this grip?

Does the Gen 4 gun take regular aftermarket guide rods and springs if I want to use them?

I heard the Gen 4 gun trigger bar (or something) is different and not as nice on the trigger as a stock peice as the Gen 3. If I want to convert it to a Gen3, can I do so, and how?

DOes the Gen4 back strap collection feel OK, or does it have an edge or area that makes the gun feel uncomfortable?

Is the overall word on the Gen4 gun out there yet?

Does anyone have both tyoes and prefer one over the other and why?

thanks

The big changes for the Gen 4 over the 3 is the interchangleable grip panels and the texturing of the grip. You will still get the same feel and sizing with the G4 as the G3 and parts should all interchange.

G3 and G4 parts do not all interchange...

- you can put a G3 upper on a G4, but not vice versa

- you can't use the same guide rod/spring (I'm sure the after-market companies will have springs out for the G4 soon enough)

- I hear the trigger assembly can be interchange - I do not know for a fact

- mags are interchangeable unless you switch the mag release on the G4 to a right side release. Then you can's use the older mags on the G4.

The grip on the G4 is a little smaller than the previous generations (front to back). The grip panel is an add-on to the grip to make the grip bigger. There is a lip where the webbing of the gripping hand is if you use the panels. I have not shot it with the grip panels, so I do not know if you'd feel it or not. Holding it in my hand with the grip panel, I can feel it.

I might try out a Gen 4 in five or six years. Tad slow when it comes to new things. By then they should have the bugs worked out. :)

G3 and G4 parts do not all interchange...

- you can put a G3 upper on a G4, but not vice versa

- you can't use the same guide rod/spring (I'm sure the after-market companies will have springs out for the G4 soon enough)

- I hear the trigger assembly can be interchange - I do not know for a fact

- mags are interchangeable unless you switch the mag release on the G4 to a right side release. Then you can's use the older mags on the G4.

The grip on the G4 is a little smaller than the previous generations (front to back). The grip panel is an add-on to the grip to make the grip bigger. There is a lip where the webbing of the gripping hand is if you use the panels. I have not shot it with the grip panels, so I do not know if you'd feel it or not. Holding it in my hand with the grip panel, I can feel it.

I was told aftermarket guiderods would be fine, obviously not all the info out there is correct.

If your hands are large enough for a Beretta than there is nothing the Gen4's can offer that a Gen3 with some skateboard tape can't (or skip the tape and grab a Gen3 RTF2)... except headaches, most Glock guys including myself are overwhelmingly underwhelmed with the Gen4's and they've already earned a rep for being less than Glock-like in terms of reliability.

Gen 4 definitely does not use the same Guide rod/spring assembly. That's one of the big changes. There are 8 different parts: slide, frame, recoil spring assembly, trigger bar, trigger housing, trigger housing pin and magazine release and magazine. The older mags work as long as the mag release is left on the left side. I haven't done a lot of shooting with the backstraps installed but I didn't notice anything when I did.

Avoid the RTF for concealed carry. That's the main reason they switched to the different polymids on the current generation. The RTF would chew up clothing or skin when worn concealed.

how is the RTF for CCW?

It depends honestly... When brand spanking new it can be rough against your skin worn IWB, but they do break-in and the texture becomes less aggresive from handling/shooting 'em. A friend of mine got one recently and he wore it in by rubbing it in with a rag he made from some old denim jeans... after the wear-in they're just fine for CCW IMO.

Do the mags interchange between gen 3 and gen 4 with the different grip size?

yes, provided the mag release remains on the left side. All the grip panels do is add thickness to the rear of the grip. The size of the mag well remains the same.

Gen 4 definitely does not use the same Guide rod/spring assembly. That's one of the big changes. There are 8 different parts: slide, frame, recoil spring assembly, trigger bar, trigger housing, trigger housing pin and magazine release and magazine. The older mags work as long as the mag release is left on the left side. I haven't done a lot of shooting with the backstraps installed but I didn't notice anything when I did.

Avoid the RTF for concealed carry. That's the main reason they switched to the different polymids on the current generation. The RTF would chew up clothing or skin when worn concealed.

What he said. I have 5000+ flawless rounds through my G4 G17 and it is great for people with short fingers when used in standard configuration with no additional back straps installed.