Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giant Box/open end wrenches ~2"+

My dad was in the coal construction biz and as such, had many over sized tools.

He died in 1979 and my mom really hasn't used these much since :surprise:

They are very cool...excellent condition and of course very heavy. My mom has about 10 or 15 of these things. No one else needs them so I need to find out where to sell them...and price them. Ebay - eh - but I guess I could ship them...I wouldn't know what to even ask for these but mom surely doesn't need them.

Does anyone here need them? I've seen bolts on light pole bases and signs that were in this range. I think the smallest wrench may be 1 1/4 inch.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hk_mtbr

My dad was in the coal construction biz and as such, had many over sized tools.

He died in 1979 and my mom really hasn't used these much since :surprise:

They are very cool...excellent condition and of course very heavy. My mom has about 10 or 15 of these things. No one else needs them so I need to find out where to sell them...and price them. Ebay - eh - but I guess I could ship them...I wouldn't know what to even ask for these but mom surely doesn't need them.

Does anyone here need them? I've seen bolts on light pole bases and signs that were in this range. I think the smallest wrench may be 1 1/4 inch.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Have any friends who farm or work construction (heavy equipment)?

If they have a brand name, Williams, SK-Tools, Bonney or the like you can look up current prices and probably get 1/4 that.

My Dad used to buy all sorts of tools at Flea Markets. some were fair value, others were way under priced.

Large wrenches have a limited pool that uses them. Truck shops use intermediate wrenches. We used to do maintenance and machine installations and had a 1" drive set with sockets out to 4" I believe also a couple Rigid brand adjustables that were 48" long!

Good luck. you might try a excavator. some of the really big trucks and earth-movers have some SERIOUS bolts and nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

Value depends on brand entirely. If Snap On then anything over I think 1" is over $100 per wrench new. If China special branded then getting $10 a piece would be fair. If they are SAE sized try a John Deere dealership, if metric, try New Holland, Case, Cat or Frieghtliner.

These are Williams "Superwrench" U.S.A. I don't have them all in front of me - there may be other brands. I can get pics in the next few days when I visit Mom.

I don't think they allowed "Metric" near the coal mines back then :sight:

send me some pics i might be interested

If not he than possibly me. We use them on extrusion machines. Some of the wrenches we have are that large. I hate it when the other people in the building, or the wind turbine guys borrow things. They are good at bringing things back, eventually.

1 1/4" and up are pretty common in the heavy equipment world. You could email the service manager's at your local Caterpillar, John Deere, Komatsu dealerships. He'd probably be happy to put it up on his shop bulletin board. There's always an apprentice who needs them or an old timer that wants some back ups. And like Aircooled racer said a community college or trade school would also appreciate them. Most have some sort of diesel technology program. I'd say you'd be doing well to get $25 to $50 per wrench. Used tools just don't have much value unfortunately.

Good luck

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...