Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gearing up for USPSA single stack - help?

Pro2AInPA

I'm going to need to buy a BUNCH of single stack .45 mags and mag pouches for them to get into single stack.

I found these STI mags. They're WAY less expensive than Tripp and Wilson. Anyone have any experience with them?:

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-1911-Single-Stack-Government-45-Magazine-P1175.aspx

I also need to get 6 mag pouches. I'm thinking Ready Tactical. Good choice?

Those look like the Novak mags, but I think someone else makes them actually. They work, but aren't terribly durable when it comes to dropping, getting kicked etc. Buy once, cry once...mags aren't a place to scrimp really.

Ready Tactical pouches are an excellent choice. That's what I'm running for Prod and if I was setting up another rig for SS tomorrow, I'd probably go with the RTs. R,

The STI mags are made by ACT-MAG imported by PSI they are used by Novak, Nighthawk, S&W and a couple of others. They had problems with the right rear corner cracking when they first came out both PSI and Novak say that the problem has long since been solved. The cracking was caused by the tolerance between the mag and the slide, my gun is a S&W that came with those mags so I feel confident that they will work for me. I bought 6 more from SC the other day to go with my Gapless Dawson Ice Magwell and Dawson base pads. They are a little longer than some mags and load easy with 8 rounds loaded the retaining lips for the base pads are on the outside of the tube so they come apart easily for cleaning.

Tim

The STI mags are made by ACT-MAG imported by PSI they are used by Novak, Nighthawk, S&W and a couple of others. They had problems with the right rear corner cracking when they first came out both PSI and Novak say that the problem has long since been solved. The cracking was caused by the tolerance between the mag and the slide, my gun is a S&W that came with those mags so I feel confident that they will work for me. I bought 6 more from SC the other day to go with my Gapless Dawson Ice Magwell and Dawson base pads. They are a little longer than some mags and load easy with 8 rounds loaded the retaining lips for the base pads are on the outside of the tube so they come apart easily for cleaning.

Tim

That's great info thanks. Are the stock basepads on those mags long enough for good reloads with a Techwell SP or XT, or will I need extended basepads for them?

I have the act-mags that came with my S & W, and they are decent and reliable, but...... I much prefer my Wilson mags. Others swear by Chip McCormicks, but I have no experience with those. If I was buying, I would take the drive to Cabelas and buy Wilson's, especially when Cabela's is giving away money again with their credit card offers.

Hello: Buy the best stuff once. If you can only afford 5 mags to start then buy just 5. If you buy 10 cheap mags then decide they don't work and want to sell them who will buy them? Find some mags that work for your pistol and buy 8 of them. That should do most of the single stack stuff you will need. The Tripp and Wilson mags are a good choice since they are easy to clean. A good magwell to start with is the S&A and will take you as far as you want to go. The other magwells may be a little better but not that much better. I know guys that use no magwell and can reload faster than most. Practice is the key there :cheers: As for mag holders I like the Safariland 771's and you will see lots of guys using them. They are an old proven design that some guy just won the SS Nationals again with. The mag holders are old not the guy :roflol: Take your time and buy the right stuff for you. Thanks, Eric

I prefer the Wilson 47ED bought them on sale at MidWayUsa for about $22 each. I have McCormick as well and they are good to start with and for top off but the Wilsons are much easier on the Reload, as they have a little room in them with 8. Mag well I use the TecWell with the aluminum grips, its like grabbing a hunk of dry ice in the winter, but nice in nice weather.

I run 6 of Uncle Mikes actually 3 double mag pouches, start every stage with 6 on the belt one in the gun and a top off in the back pocket. Every time I move I reload if I get off the plan I reload and get back on the plan. I shoot open a lot maybe that is why I don't like running out of ammo.

There are several good mags out there. For me, it depends on the caliber. 45-my choice is Wilson. More expensive than most but they hold up.

For .40 and 9 mm I would go with Tripp. I use his mags exclusively in my .40. I have never had a problem with them. You can load nine rounds in the .40 8 rounders without a problem. They mags fit in the box!

Holster and mag holders are Safariland all the way. I am loyal to them, they support our sport something fierce. Their stuff is top notch in my book.

Buy the best mags you can, going first class is always always cheaper in the long run.

I use a Brown mag well. It works great. There are others out there with bigger mouths. Make sure the mag well will fit in the box.

Tim

That's great info thanks. Are the stock basepads on those mags long enough for good reloads with a Techwell SP or XT, or will I need extended basepads for them?

No way those ACT mags will be long enough for a Techwell XT and probably not really long enough for the SP. I have one (marked as Novak) mags around somewhere, so I'll try to compare.

Wilson mags with the long DE pad is barely long enough for the TW XT and it's as long as you're going to get that will fit the box (had to trim a tiny bit off the front of mine for insurance room). R,

A fellow BEnos member offered to trade me a bunch of Wilson 47Ds for my C-More, so I jumped on it. :cheers:

Now I just need a holster and mag pouches. The Bladetech DOH is single stack legal, right?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Now I just need a holster and mag pouches. The Bladetech DOH is single stack legal, right?

It is if you take of the DOH hanger.

In that case I'll just get a normal belt holster, probably from Comp-Tac, as they've been good to be in the past.