Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

super glock for esp

9mmalpha

what do you guys think about building glock 35 caspian slide / ccf frame ( stainless steel or alluminum) if I can make it to weight limit will that be allowed to ESP?

It would be allowed in ESP, and with careful cutting it can indeed make the weight limit. However, if you do a search you'll find page after page on this forum recounting shooters' experiences of severe functional and durability problems with the CCF frames. I'd warn you away from this approach, myself.

Lotsa guys I shoot with run Glocks, of course. And they are great shooting, uber-reliable guns. Until... they start di__ing around with recoil springs, striker springs, sears, etc... Then they become single-shot junk.

IMHO..

Factory-Original Glocks run better than any gun on the planet.

Tinkered with Glocks, are more failure-prone than most any gun I've seen. Worse than S_Is, M&Ps, XDs, etc.

This is from participating in 2-3 matches per week for over a year. Your observations may vary...

Jeff

thanks guys for your reply, Ive seen people using that frame few times shooting Open, but that was mostly 9mm set up, but most of the failures I notice are spring related, open gun ussually failed well most I have seen, anyway I had played long enough with my glock 34, it is starting to loose its black color - so Im really having the itch to go for these set up,

So as far as you guys know that fake glock 35 should be allowed in ESP as long as I make the weight limit/ Im going to use the same gun for limitted since I dont have limitted gun yet.

My set up will be : Caspian 35, barsto, fulcrum because it looks better than vanek (colorwise) havent tried both yet, sevigny sight, ccf frame maybe-stainless or alluminum depends on weight.

anyone who had bad or good experience who actually own a ccf and caspian slide setup, Pls slap me in the face if Im about to spend my hard earned money for no good reason.

What makes a Glock a Glock is it's dead solid reliability and it's great performance.

Well said. I've tried the tinkering and ended up right back at a bone stock gun 'cuz it runs.

Lotsa guys I shoot with run Glocks, of course. And they are great shooting, uber-reliable guns. Until... they start di__ing around with recoil springs, striker springs, sears, etc... Then they become single-shot junk.

See above statement.

My set up will be : Caspian 35, barsto, fulcrum because it looks better than vanek (colorwise) havent tried both yet, sevigny sight, ccf frame maybe-stainless or alluminum depends on weight.

Maybe it's just me, but the trigger comment makes it sound like you are building a "cool looking gun" instead of a "reliably shooting gun". Cool looking guns are fine, but they better run 100% of the time. My $0.02. Good luck with whatever you decide to build. :cheers:

anyone who had bad or good experience who actually own a ccf and caspian slide setup, Pls slap me in the face if Im about to spend my hard earned money for no good reason.

You should do a search. Plenty of info on the topic on the forum...on both the Caspian and the CCF.

what do you guys think about building glock 35 caspian slide / ccf frame ( stainless steel or alluminum) if I can make it to weight limit will that be allowed to ESP?

A huge waste of money. No disrespect meant!

Edited by dirty whiteboy

Until... they start di__ing around with recoil springs, striker springs, sears, etc... Then they become single-shot junk.

Glocks don't have sears. :lol:

My own Glocks run very reliabily. It's more a matter of what you modify on the gun, and how well it's done, I find, than whether or not you modify it period.

Well then, I guess I'm the guy you want to talk to, because I had the exact same idea. Consider your face slapped. :D I'm actually the guy who looked at the specs for the CCF steel frame, figured out that with just a bit of whittling it could make the weight limit in ESP, and informed the owner of CCF of this fact. Which really surprised and excited him, and he sent me a frame that had been modified to make the weight limit. I got a slide from Caspian, too. Unfortunately once I put everything together - using all stock parts but for the slide and frame, because Mr. CCF was blaming all the malfunctions experienced with his product on people running aftermarket parts, "Use stock parts, use stock parts," he said to me, so I did - I found the trigger wouldn't reset. This was traced to the fact that the dimensions of the mag well were so out-of-spec that the mag well was rubbing against the rear/side portion of the trigger bar, actually holding it to the rear when the trigger was pulled. Also, for the same reason, trigger pulls were ridiculously heavy. Okay, a bit of work by a decent pistolsmith fixed that. Then I found that the Caspian slide was so out-of-spec, it held the extractor so far to the side and out of position that the hook couldn't get a decent purchase on the casing rims. It was constant failures to extract, failures to eject, double feeds. Just a total loser all around. If you're looking for a reliable, troube-free gun that's not a complete money sink and waste of time, I would literally be hard-pressed to come up with a worse approach than this one. And that's just my experience. Do a search, and you will find many, MANY other people with similar experiences, especially with the CCF frame.

My own Glocks run very reliabily. It's more a matter of what you modify on the gun, and how well it's done, I find, than whether or not you modify it period.

+1 And that being said- they don't need much at all anyway! Sights, a little skateboard tape, a little trigger work and a recoil spring and you are good to go.

With the expected rule book revision this summer, I would avoid getting too experimental right now. The aluminium frame would be much safer than the steel. Depending on how the definition of Full Length Dust Cover changes or doesn't, you could find yourself with a gun you can't use in IDPA. I have my doubts that the steel gun would be legal now, and if it is considered a full length dust cover, it needs to make SSP weight.

I have felt a steel frame gun and thought it was much too heavy to transition quickly. I like the fit of the slide to the frame, but still too heavy. There really is no reason to shoot a 9mm or 40 cal with anything other than a polymer frame, if you are reloading for IDPA. A friend of mine put one together using a Glock slide and is selling the frame, if he can.

I toyed with the idea myself and couldn't find a reason to go ahead.

Good luck.

I appreciate the replies, I guess the frame is no go, but I already got the caspian slide and the cool colored fulcrum is on its way, the barrel needs to be ordered too. ,I don't see the point of getting a frame that can't run a custom part, I Have stock 17 and 34 I will just use one of them to be my 35 convert I will set it for descent esp and limitted.

Just because a few people have problems with it shouldn't discredit the many who don't. I built one on a G22 and it runs like a bat outta hell. Major/Minor pf doesn't matter, it just runs and is ever bit as reliable as a stock Glock. My advice would be to keep it as stock as possible, skip the aftermarket slide/barrel.

I had a Caspian G35 slide a couple years ago. Actually, I had two for a couple days. They shipped me a second on accident. The first and second had significantly different rail gaps. One was stock like - moderately loose, and the other was very tight, no play at all, hard to assemble the gun actually.

There were several other minor issues, like I had to file the sides down on the back plate to get them to fit in the slot, and the rear sight dovetail was under sized. In the end I was spending a lot of time and money monkeying with it without any significant benefit, so I sold it. Can't shoot it in SSP anyway.

The thing is you can get most of the bang from Glock mods and remain in SSP. My G34 has a sweet trigger (Zev + a springs and polishing), great sights. Reload for competition (to the min power factor) and you are ESP level gun in SSP.

But I also like to shoot what I carry in IDPA because I use it for fun and to keep familiar with my defensive weapons.

That said, I also have a really sweet Canyon Creek modified XD Tactical for ESP. My son shoots it generally though.

As many of said.. it isn't the mods but the quality of the work done on the mods that determines reliability, that and feeding good consistent ammo.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project either way.