Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 vs 1.5 low power scopes

Corey

How much of a difference is there really between a 1 vs 1.5 ( and pls dont say .5, haha). Im lookin at 2 scopes: Leupold VX-II 1-4 or the Mark AR 1.5-5 for a low power optic for my new AR. What do you think?

Go with the Trijicon TR24 1-4 haha. I think you will like the 1-4 better. If you can-mount them on your gun at the store and move around with your eyes open with your cheek welded and not coming off the scope for at least a minute-say like 30 shots or something while looking through the scope, not at the reticle. You will get a headache or close your eye with the 1.5. I never understood the philosophy of the 1.5-if there was one. I think it was just easier to do the glass that way. If you close your non-shooting eye it probably won't make a difference.

Go with the Trijicon TR24 1-4 haha. I think you will like the 1-4 better. If you can-mount them on your gun at the store and move around with your eyes open with your cheek welded and not coming off the scope for at least a minute-say like 30 shots or something while looking through the scope, not at the reticle. You will get a headache or close your eye with the 1.5. I never understood the philosophy of the 1.5-if there was one. I think it was just easier to do the glass that way. If you close your non-shooting eye it probably won't make a difference.

id love a Trijicon, but its just too far out of my price range for this project.

I had a TR21, 1.25X and went to the TR24, 1X and I do like the 1X better. I didn't have any issues with the 1.25X though. I think the increased field of view and better eye relief was the biggest benefit for changing to the 1x scope. You should also consider that 95%+ of what we shoot is less than 150 yards which is where you need anything higher than 1X. So by trading 1X to 1.5X on the low end for 5X from 4X you are sacrificing the most important aspect of the scope for the least important aspect.

Edited by jtischauser

If your eyes and balance can handle it 1.5 doesn't bother some folks. For most, at best the image seems a little wonky due to the two sizes that are very similar, and at worst will make you feel a little dizzy from the image disparity.

Note that when you increase the image size difference this tends to go away say at 3-4x but for me when the images are close I don't like it at all.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Leupold website and they list the actual magnification for the VX-II 1-4x20 as 1.6 at low power and 4.2 at high power. They list the actual magnification of the Mark 4 1.5-5x20 as 1.5 at low power and 4.7 at high power.

I have a VX -II on mr AR-15 and at low power it is easy to shoot with both eyes open. However it is apparent that it does have a slight amount of magnification.

Phil G

Out of curiosity, I checked the Leupold website and they list the actual magnification for the VX-II 1-4x20 as 1.6 at low power and 4.2 at high power. They list the actual magnification of the Mark 4 1.5-5x20 as 1.5 at low power and 4.7 at high power.

I have a VX -II on mr AR-15 and at low power it is easy to shoot with both eyes open. However it is apparent that it does have a slight amount of magnification.

Phil G

if thats true, then the AR version im lookin at is the better option, lower actual low setting and higher high setting...

Maybe a call to Leupold directly is in order....

well my plan it to use ,y current AR setup (16" BCM) as an intro to 3gun rifle as well as maybe pick off a coyote or two on some land we own. Probably out to a couple hundred yards is all for now, unless i run into some really long 3 gun COFs

If money is an issue then look at the Millet as well, I like that reticule better, it is pretty darn close to true 1x and yes its light up mechanism is really dim, but the other you are looking at don't have it either. Spend the extra money of a decent mount?

I've got 'em both and just looked through them. There's not a lot of difference between the two at low power, a slight amount of magnification but not too much. The image is clearer on the VXIII which is to be expected with the higher price of the scope.

I bought these scopes years ago when the low power Leupolds were one of the few options for low power variables for 3-gun and carbine match shooting. Many other (and arguably better) options are available today. I'd look into it a bit more before buying.

That said, there've been plenty of 3-gun matches won over the years with Leupold low power variables.

I'll be honest, Im lookin at leupold low powers b/c ive grown up with the name leupold as a good one for optics. I also have a gift card for $300 thats only good at a few retailers and Cabela's is one of them. I guess i was trying to stay in the ball park of ~$300ish. Im planning on a Larue mount i do believe so some money will be spent there. Im open to other options just not in the position to spend a ton.

ive got a set of Magpul's MBUS sights on it now. When i add a scope, I'm contemplating getting a couple of angle mounts and putting them on the side.

ive thought about shooting irons as well but after shooting this past weekend at 100yd on a full size USPSA target, i dont think i want to try a 12" plate at 200. i need/want the precision of a crosshair, whether there is magnification or not :cheers:

Trijicons just look like too much $ for me in my situation right now. Maybe down the road when I upgrade to an actual competition upper/rifle ill drop the coin on a Trij or i do really like the US optic scopes too. (a guy loves to dream)

buying from Cabelas would be better for me with the $300 i could use there, but hmmm.

How does Burris' optics compare to other good names i know (Leupold in particular)

The burris 1x4 is a nice optic. On the weaver, is also clear good glass and the eye relief isnt as much as alot of the others. I run one on a std A2 length stock with standard scope mounts ie not the ones that place the scope farther forward