Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a new gun for Production/Limited... need help

.45er

So....have been shooting in some USPSA/IDPA stuff and have the bug pretty bad. :) I am looking to get a gun setup that I can shoot prod. and limited with. I have read and read and researched like crazy. I thought I had it pretty much narrowed down to getting a 9mm XDm.... but from all my searching it doesn't seem like a lot of people are using this model? I have played with the Glocks and as much as I would love to be a Glocker...they just don't feel good in my hand. I was looking at 9mm since I have a ton of brass a friend gave me, but it seems like everyone shoots .40 for limited?? Is it uncommon for someone to load a 9mm up to major power factor? I am just looking for a good option to be able to get a gun that does a couple things well. I am pretty much set on getting either a XDm or possibly a M&P. My gunshop here is limited in selection though. Could you guys help me with some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Edited by .45er

40 is the minimum bullet diameter that will make major in limited (IPSC/USPSA rules). 9mm will put you in minor. if they make a XDm in 40 you can use that in both production, limited and limited 10.

I'd look at the XDM 40, or as soon as it comes out the M&P 40 Pro (5"), or from Glock, the 35.

All are great options.

Personally, I'd pick one division and stick with it for the first year or so, as you learn. Then, when you make the decision to move, get the best gear for that division. I shoot an M&P Pro 9mm in Production, and have been considering the 40-Pro for Limited as a dedicated Limited gun.... But I will likely buy a used S_I and go all the way instead.

It also depends on your reason for shooting, competition, or fun, or practice...

If you want to seriously compete, you'll likely want the serious gear... But then another part of me wants to see if I can stick with the big boys, using a plastic gun.... For only $600-700 invested, I may try it.

Jeff

The CZ's are pretty cool. I think the latest FrontSight says they are the winningest pistol in IPSIC production everywhere in the world except here in the US, but would have to check that. The XD's are good guns. The Smith's seem to do pretty well too. The Glock will just run. You can do so much to a Glock, and there are so many good accessories available. Parts are easy to get. That is a tough call. I shoot a G34 in Production, but would really like to try a CZ's SA/DA trigger. There is a good argument for either the striker fired or the SA/DA autos.

I think that as mentioned earlier, it really depends on how serious you want to get. You can take some guns and shoot both, but being limited by only shooting minor velocity in Limited is the pits, but shooting major velocity in Production is too. There are also some mods you can do to a Limited gun that you can't in Production, like a magwell, some trigger jobs, etc.. It also depends on your style.

I think I would (actually this is what I did) plan on starting in production with the 9mm that you like to shoot, then you can just stuff more in the mags and shoot Limited/minor, then get a dedicated Limited gun if you plan on sticking to it. I would not try to load 9x19 up to major, actually, I am not sure how that works, is it a different case, can you even do it safely? That would mean a longer chamber too, wouldn't it? I really do not know.

I really would like to try a CZ for grins.

IDPA is pretty limited so make sure your gun is suitable under their rules along with those acceptable for USPSA Production.

Don't be afraid to find one you like shooting,ie. borrow or ask to shoot at the range, and if your local shop doesn't have what you are looking for, check out gunbroker.com. You can register, buy, and have it shipped to your FFL (they have a list of transfer agents, or ask your local shop if they will accept a transfer for you). I always try to support my local stores first, but there are a lot of good sellers on sites like gunbroker.

Wow, that was long winded for no real help at all!

Glock would be my first choice, but if you don't like it now, you probably won't like it later. Just get something you enjoy shooting and have fun.

Good Luck,

Gene

I would suggest the M&P (whichever model you like) in 9mm, since you have the brass already. If you are thinking about shooting limited, I would go with a M&P in .45 ACP in limited 10.

Glocks do not feel right in my hands, and don't point well naturally for me. Of the "plastic" framed guns the M&P feels the best to me, and with the changable backstraps is very adaptable to many shooters.

The M&P makes a good competition and personal defense handgun, and I am of the preference to have handguns that are multi-purpose.

I've been wondering about basically the same question.

As Gene suggests, I am currently using my MP9 in production and occasionally in Limited (minor).

Is it realistic for me to consider an MP40 Pro (when available) to use in Production and Limited?? Is it realistic to work up a 40 soft shooting minor load and a major load for the same gun(In either Glock or MP)?

I presume I would need to change springs to switch between minor and major loads? Is this a dumb idea for me?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

The CZ's are pretty cool. I think the latest FrontSight says they are the winningest pistol in IPSIC production everywhere in the world except here in the US, but would have to check that. The XD's are good guns. The Smith's seem to do pretty well too. The Glock will just run. You can do so much to a Glock, and there are so many good accessories available. Parts are easy to get. That is a tough call. I shoot a G34 in Production, but would really like to try a CZ's SA/DA trigger. There is a good argument for either the striker fired or the SA/DA autos.

I really would like to try a CZ for grins.

Once you do, you will never want to go back. :devil:

post-20030-127250525053_thumb.jpg

I think I would (actually this is what I did) plan on starting in production with the 9mm that you like to shoot, then you can just stuff more in the mags and shoot Limited/minor, then get a dedicated Limited gun if you plan on sticking to it. I would not try to load 9x19 up to major, actually, I am not sure how that works, is it a different case, can you even do it safely? That would mean a longer chamber too, wouldn't it? I really do not know.

Doesn't really matter, since only Open recognizes 9mm Major - which is in fact 9x19mm Luger loaded long and hot. CZ's can take the abuse of 9 Major, BTW. There are a number of different one-off SP-01 Open guns being run in USPSA. The upcoming TS Czechmate (CZ's new ready-to-run-from-the-box Open blaster) is in 9x19 for 9 Major as well.

I need to just get a Dan Wesson for SStk, and then I'd be all-CZ, all the time. :lol:

Is it realistic for me to consider an MP40 Pro (when available) to use in Production and Limited?? Is it realistic to work up a 40 soft shooting minor load and a major load for the same gun(In either Glock or MP)?

I presume I would need to change springs to switch between minor and major loads? Is this a dumb idea for me?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

It's absolutely realistic. There are guys/gals shooting Glock 35s in both Production (with Minor ammo) and Limited (with Major ammo) and doing quite well. Yeah, you'll probably want a slightly lighter recoil spring for the Minor ammo, but that's about it. You'll want some extended basepads for Limited, and maybe a magwell, but that should cover the bases. R,

So....have been shooting in some USPSA/IDPA stuff and have the bug pretty bad. :) I am looking to get a gun setup that I can shoot prod. and limited with. I have read and read and researched like crazy. I thought I had it pretty much narrowed down to getting a 9mm XDm.... but from all my searching it doesn't seem like a lot of people are using this model? I have played with the Glocks and as much as I would love to be a Glocker...they just don't feel good in my hand. I was looking at 9mm since I have a ton of brass a friend gave me, but it seems like everyone shoots .40 for limited?? Is it uncommon for someone to load a 9mm up to major power factor? I am just looking for a good option to be able to get a gun that does a couple things well. I am pretty much set on getting either a XDm or possibly a M&P. My gunshop here is limited in selection though. Could you guys help me with some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Read this thread...lots of folks have added stuff on picking divisions, etc, etc...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78927&view=findpost&p=913533

Doesn't really matter, since only Open recognizes 9mm Major - which is in fact 9x19mm Luger loaded long and hot. CZ's can take the abuse of 9 Major, BTW. There are a number of different one-off SP-01 Open guns being run in USPSA. The upcoming TS Czechmate (CZ's new ready-to-run-from-the-box Open blaster) is in 9x19 for 9 Major as well.

Oh yea, I knew that, good point. I was not sure about the case and OAL.

OP was looking at a 9mm, as he had lots of brass. I just buy 9mm by the case, so it is not as bad as it could be pricewise, but I will reload .40 S&W. 45er, would would you consider a .40, or do yo really want to stay with 9mm (and there is nothing wrong with that).

I am not allowed to like anything else for a while, I have a new STI Edge in the safe, and I love the Glock, but would really like to look at a CZ-75TS, you know, as a backup for the Glock.. :rolleyes:

Good Shoot'in,

WG

I'm an XD lover through and through. I'm really looking forward to buying an XDM 9 but I finally finished building my XD and have it running just right. I like Glocks and they're tremendous for production and definetely have the most parts out there. I don't shoot one because, like you, it just doesn't fit in my hand. The M&P Pro seems to be getting more and more praise and seems to be quite the up and coming competition gun. The advantages to the XDM 9 is that it comes out of the box with a Match Target barrel. That's HUGE!!! I don't know if it's as good as a Bar-Sto but for just getting started it's a big plus. Also, like the M&P the XDM has the removable back straps to help with the fit. For production I would definetely say the XDM or the M&P. For a limited gun, there's just too many options if would want to run with the Big Boys. A lot of different options out there, CZ, Para, etc. I'd say start simple in Production and see if the "bug" you got stays with you. Production will also help you fine tune your reloading skills and help with the mental planning of stages. Limited shooters don't have to plan as many reloads so they can run through a stage with less on their mind. Good Luck !!!!!!!

Well I spent a couple hours at the gun shop yesterday.... and believe it or not I came home with a Glock 35. I did a lot of hands on comparisons with a few different guns and decided to bite the bullet. Funny thing is the Glock didn't feel as blocky in my hand as I had remembered in the past..... so I went with the Glock. It was even on sale ;)

Edited by .45er

What about an M%P 45 for the IDPA and USPSA Production? I have a lim-10, single stack and IDPA revolver. I can get a good deal on a used M&P45, and I'm considering it mostly for USPSA production, and IDPA as well. Is that a good choice?

Steve

While it sounds like you would be well served by a .40S&W, you asked about a 9mm suitable for Production and Limited.

What I use is the STI GP6. It has an excellent trigger right out of the box, and extremely tame recoil. If you live in a free state, it comes with 17 round mags (when shooting limited minor)

It's grip feels a heck of a lot better than the Glock in my hands.

The CZ SP01 is an excellent gun. If you prefer steel frames, check it out. If you like polymer, get your hands around the STI GP6.