Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inert "gun" walkthrough?

Steve Anderson

Steve,

You are absolutely correct. A truly inert dummy "gun" is not a safety issue and, provided commonsense prevails and the competitor forewarns his RO before he embarks upon a walkthrough with such an item, there is definitely no problem under current rules.

Having said that, I suspect there are ROs around who would probably want to stop you for no other reason than "It just don't seem right"!

However in view of the fact that we've already proposed banning dummy rounds, training rounds and spring caps from being handled in a safety area because they look like the Real McCoy, we should probably also ban "fake" guns for the very same reason and for consistency.

In fact, I already proposed imposing such a ban on inert guns, but the general consensus was that it's a non-issue. I still prefer to ban them, because while the solid, one piece "blue guns" and "red guns" are basically solid lumps of plastic with no moving parts, a Glock 17P is a real Glock which has been deactivated.

Anyway, I guess time will tell if we need to review the matter in the future.

Bottom line: It's currently not illegal to use a truly inert, dummy gun during a walkthrough.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 4:31 am on Aug. 30, 2002)

Flex,

Y'know I used to have one of the "red Glocks" for awhile - Glock supplied it to me, to play with for an article. The only thing that stops this from being a functional Glock 17 is that the breech face is cut too narrow for a 9mm round to slide up into place, there's no firing pin hole, and the firing pin has no tip. HOWEVER the lower part of the gun, the frame, is a fully functional G17 part that just happens to be fire engine red. It's quite possible to replace the slide on the gun with a "real" slide and you'd have a fully functional "red Glock" that still looked exactly the same. Trivia buffs, take note.

I have seen a number of colored guns, and have been seen shooting a gun which is mostly green.

i'm not sure how i would react if i were close and saw this happen fast. would definitley exress my opinion to the person, ( wouldn't be nice) and if it were drawn while close behind me, i would bet that it may soon be in my posession.

lets not forget, this is a sport with specattors, how SAFE will that look from the unknowing bystander?? not good PR in my mind.

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with someone pointing anything even remotely gunlike in my general direction during walkthroughs..... I mean, we KNOW its an inert gun, right, but then again how many times have you heard "but I KNEW the gun wasn't loaded..."

And as all the above pics show, and as we've all seen, just having a brightly colored training gun wouldn't be enough of a distinguishing factor to tell real from fake, at first glance.

And as pointed out above, it WOULD probably freak out spectators to see everyone running back and forth during walkthroughs with what appears (as far as they can tell) to be pistols drawn....

And perception is reality.

My vibe is - (even though I had an SVI grip I used to "pump up my grip" before I shot) - it's not in the spirit of the sport. And, considering everything currently available, it would just get out of control.

be

I agree with "not on the spirt of sport". I especially do not like turning around and seeing a "gun" being held in a firing stance pointing at me. I am kind of funny like that. Course might be good to use to freak out the competition in your class. It would also make us look bad to people watching the sport.

Honestly there is enough variable in your "real" run that adjusting to it quickly in the best manner will produce better results and higher scores, than tring to stealth the exact steps and movements with a fake gun. Especially with movers, wind, gravity and oops.

It's not much different than using one of those spring-loaded or rubber grip exercisers. I'd just grip it (dummy grip) and squeeze the crap out of it, especially if showing up to shoot without any dryfiring or gunhandling at all.

be