Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SL M&P Pro barrel

G-ManBart

I decided to try a Storm Lake barrel in my M&P Pro to see if it would like some of the bullets that the stock barrel isn't overly fond of (getting good accuracy with the ones it does like). I got it today, cleaned the bore and noticed there are definite chatter marks across many of the lands (not in the grooves). They seem to run nearly perpendicular to the rifling, but not quite. Has anybody seen this in their barrel? I've got a note in to SL, but no idea how long it will take to hear back from them. I can always return it (bought it from Midway) but wondered if this is something someone else has seen? R,

I have not seen anything like that in any type of barrel ..........do they look like surface stress cracks from the production of the rifling? or machining marks? very curious, let us know what you find out. If you have not seen that , it must be strange.

I should have been more specific. They're definitely not stress cracks and they're not the normal pattern you see on the inside of button rifled, non lapped barrels. Imagine looking along an inch of land that's smooth and then suddenly you see a section of the land with tiny fine lines that forms a small dark section as if something was rotated inside the bore and it scored the lands. Those dark sections appear to be many little lines as if the cutter chattered at that spot as it was being drawn through the bore. I'm not sure if I can get a picture of it, but I'll try. R,

Seen that quite a few times on production items, but generally it has a name like Norinco or keltech.

That one snuck by QC. Exchange it, we buy a Storm Lake barrel to be nicer than the production one.

I agree with blkbrd, QC was on break when that one got out the door. B) I'd give them another chance to provide you with a quality product, they blew it the first time. I have two SL barrels and both have excellent bores with no tool marks.

Okay, that helps. This is my first SL barrel...don't even know if I've looked down one in the past, so it sort of surprised me. While $130 isn't a ton of cash, it's certainly enough I wouldn't expect that sort of stuff in the bore. I didn't start this to bash them, figured it was an anomaly, but thought it was worth seeing if anybody else has experienced the same thing. Stuff happens, I'm sure either Midway or SL will replace it without much trouble...didn't even put it in the slide just to be safe. R,

Wow, SL has already replied and I sent them a link to the picture for review. It'll be interesting to see what they say. I honestly think it would likely shoot okay, but I don't really want to gamble on that sort of thing. At the very least they get major kudos for being responsive. :)

Their rep looked at the pics and got back to me almost immediately. He said the marks were absolutely unacceptable and must have slipped past QC. They're sending me a return shipping label and will replace the barrel. Stuff happens, it's how it gets handled that matters the most to me. So, at the very least they get an A+ for customer service!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear this worked out well.

I bought my first Storm Lake barrel about 4 years ago for Glock 23. It and the Warren Tactical sights I put on it shrunk the group size down about 3 times. I could have swore it was the aftermarket barrel but now realize it was the combo of replacing the cheap Glock fat front sight and the rear sight, plus getting used to the trigger. The SL locked up much tighter as a drop in but still funtioned flawlessly.

I have some other pistols I have been debating to go with Bar-Sto, Storm Lake, Briley, or others and positive customer service from one of the more, not cheap, but less expensive brands, makes me want to look at more of their product line.

So how did it all work out for you? Are you happy and pleased with the end product?

Later, Lumpy.

Edited by Lumpy McSoo

So how did it all work out for you? Are you happy and pleased with the end product?

Later, Lumpy.

I still haven't received the replacement barrel. If I haven't seen it by Friday I'll e-mail them since that will be two weeks. R,

Heck Chris, that might have been the most accurate bbl you've ever shot! Have you ever seen the inside of a Savage bbl? Some things are a mystery to what we think we know about barrel accuracy.

I have the same marks in my M&P9 :angry2: Both my Pro & Compact look smooth but I shoot the full size better in matches. Makes me mad everytime I clean it. Should have sent it back to S&W but it's match season now :D

... Makes me mad everytime I clean it... :D

That is why I went to Glocks and M&Ps. I hate cleaning guns. I would only be mad once or twice a year or so (not really but it sounded good, well, at least to me LOL).

I am having another issue which is why I probably should start a new post. Actually, I'll just start a new one.

Later, Lumpy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same marks in my M&P9 :angry2: Both my Pro & Compact look smooth but I shoot the full size better in matches. Makes me mad everytime I clean it. Should have sent it back to S&W but it's match season now :D

That's interesting since this isn't a Smith barrel. Unfortunately, I sent this back to Storm Lake nearly a month ago and I still haven't seen a replacement. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Any update? I am considering purchasing an SL barrel.

They did get me a replacement (I think it was early last week it finally showed up), and it looks perfect. Since I've been getting ready for A-5 I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but it dropped in and is very slightly tighter, front to back than the stock barrel. More to follow...

• 3 months later...