Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIRT pistol

eric nielsen

I have two sirts one a pro and the other a performer. Love them, well worth the money not only for practice but I also use them as training guns in classed, demos, etc when I conduct training. I just with they would come out with a 2011 model too. You won't truly appreciate the SIRT until you spend some time doing a lot of laser drills. I am pressed for range time but post it notes around the house with the SIRT is actually very productive.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I just wish (sic) they would come out with a 2011 model too...

I'm wondering if Mike is monitoring this thread?

I bet there would be huge demand for an "upper" that fits on any 1911 style pistol and operates like the SIRT AR bolt. The way the trigger works there could be a mechanical contact in the mag well. It would be easier to do a DA gun and go off the hammer but the 1911 market would be worth the R&D! :goof:

Mr. Pythons,

I like the post-it idea. Have you seen Mike's video on putting a post it on a floodlight bulb? It illuminates the whole bulb if you miss the post-it.

DNH

• 2 weeks later...

I debated on shelling out the $$ for the SIRT PRO Model for several months. Finally decided to do it as I was bit by the competition bug. After shooting 20+ competitions straight every weekend, I decided more effective dry fire practice was needed. I bit the bullet and ordered the SIRT PRO and a 3 pack of mags. Started watching Mike's videos and instantly started to see my time improve dramatically at matches. I then started playing with the adjustments on the gun ( cranking up the trigger pull and break ) Then realized the gun was not functioning properly. Called customer service and spoke with Carolyn. She was extremely helpful and within one day she had a new gun in the mail to me along with return shipping for my original gun. The new gun showed up 2 days later and sent the old one back. What a great company to deal with! I was so impressed with the customer service especially the continued communication with Carolyn. She was the best. I am so glad I bought the SIRT and ended up winning my division today at our local IDPA match today. This really is a great product from a great company...

I debated on shelling out the $$ for the SIRT PRO Model for several months. Finally decided to do it as I was bit by the competition bug. After shooting 20+ competitions straight every weekend, I decided more effective dry fire practice was needed. I bit the bullet and ordered the SIRT PRO and a 3 pack of mags. Started watching Mike's videos and instantly started to see my time improve dramatically at matches. I then started playing with the adjustments on the gun ( cranking up the trigger pull and break ) Then realized the gun was not functioning properly. Called customer service and spoke with Carolyn. She was extremely helpful and within one day she had a new gun in the mail to me along with return shipping for my original gun. The new gun showed up 2 days later and sent the old one back. What a great company to deal with! I was so impressed with the customer service especially the continued communication with Carolyn. She was the best. I am so glad I bought the SIRT and ended up winning my division today at our local IDPA match today. This really is a great product from a great company...

I have had similar experiences with them and I am with you! Great customer service, great company and great product... :cheers:

PS... I am having great results as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree great customer service and a well-engineered product. I made great gains with my shooting after buying and practicing with the SIRT. The best part was finding Mike's training videos. The way he breaks things down really clicks with me!

This seems to be the thread to post info and thoughts. Just discovered something about the lasers. I printed black ink dots from my ink jet printer and taped them to a wall. If I stick with a front sight focus (and stay out of the habit of focusing on the wall after the laser hit, which I can do 99% of the time), I notice that a "hit" on the black dot gives me a less bright laser flash. If I miss the black dot and hit white paper, I can easily tell it's brighter. It's a great feedback loop without having have to wonder where I hit exactly. This especially true at longer distances where the far target is too out of focus to tell.

SeaTact,

That sounds like a good method of improving makeup shots. Are you sending another shot when you miss? I think that would be a valuable habit to have in a match.

To improve my transition times I'm trying not to linger on a target longer than I need to. Feedback on additional attention needed on a target is what I could use right now. That would tell me that I'm getting sloppy, going too fast or that I'm just plain wrong. :blink:

I've got reduced silhouette targets on the wall of my office. I just blacked out the down zero areas and it's added a new dimension and detail to my SIRT technique.

Thanks,

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Hi dnh-- no I'm not working on followup shots. I don't know if that kind of practice is helpful without actual recoil. When I'm breaking a shot I'm working on 2 things: trying to call it before the laser flashes(this might be too ambitious). And also deconstructing what happened when the bright flash (which should be out of focus if I actually stayed focused on my front sight) tells me I missed. Was it visual impatience? Bad trigger control? Grip?

The last drill I did was way fun-- printed a 1" dot and tried to keep hitting it at 7 yards. Not easy for me but it forces me to work on fundamentals

SeaTact,

So...when you miss you engage your brain and deconstruct what happened. I think this is good for fundamentals and I do it often. Especially at targets at the other end of the house.

Here's something to try and you need a SIRT. Dryfire just using sight picture just doesn't cut it...

As a speed exercise I have targets on the wall in my office arranged as different CoF. Some of them have non-threats in front of them. I get the metronome (iPhone app) going and I start doing 1-1-2-1-1 or 2-2-2 sequences at a set tempo. This does two things. It keeps me from rushing and also helps transition times by reducing the "lingering" on a target. Shoot and move on.

If I know I'm not rushing and I miss I know it was some variable, trigger, grip, timing of transition etc. Bad shots happen and I want to immediately shoot again instead of spending time deciding whether to do a makeup shot. It's like what you're doing by calling the shot but immediately shooting again instead of analyzing why.

It's that elusive upper level shooter thing. They know the shot was bad before the gun went off and they're already sending another. :surprise:

I hope I described what I'm doing and trying to achieve. :rolleyes:

DNH

SeaTact,

So...when you miss you engage your brain and deconstruct what happened. I think this is good for fundamentals and I do it often. Especially at targets at the other end of the house.

Here's something to try and you need a SIRT. Dryfire just using sight picture just doesn't cut it...

As a speed exercise I have targets on the wall in my office arranged as different CoF. Some of them have non-threats in front of them. I get the metronome (iPhone app) going and I start doing 1-1-2-1-1 or 2-2-2 sequences at a set tempo. This does two things. It keeps me from rushing and also helps transition times by reducing the "lingering" on a target. Shoot and move on.

If I know I'm not rushing and I miss I know it was some variable, trigger, grip, timing of transition etc. Bad shots happen and I want to immediately shoot again instead of spending time deciding whether to do a makeup shot. It's like what you're doing by calling the shot but immediately shooting again instead of analyzing why.

It's that elusive upper level shooter thing. They know the shot was bad before the gun went off and they're already sending another. :surprise:

I hope I described what I'm doing and trying to achieve. :rolleyes:

DNH

Dave, which metronome app do you have?

I started a new drill with my SIRT.

I'm using a metronome to work on transitions. Working on speed and efficiency.

The take-up laser helps a lot with reducing the excess motion.

I find I over-run the next target if I don't have my eyes on the next target before the gun. Usually a bobble of the take-up laser.

Link to the thread:

metronome training thread

I'm hoping you'll find it a good way to use your SIRTs.

DNH

Dave, thank you for your help on this! I am really enjoying this drill! It really gets the eyes to work efficiently OR you end up getting REALLY sloppy..:)

The sights for me start as a blur and then as I get into the drill they and the target become very clear! Great job and thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...

Finally back on here! Had issues with log on, getting pw or not having time to properly respond, like right now :eatdrink:

great dialogs above, my thoughts spin on the drills we can hit to get better in small amounts of time throughout the day.

kind of off topic, but can't shoot nationals ugg, but this

is very nostalgic.

I want a ZOMBIE GREEN SIRT! Release date 10/31/12?

I think there's a lot of people out there waiting for the Zombie thing to die. I've always said that they're very silly since they're already dead. :blink:

One valuable thing about the SIRT pistol is that it's fun! Tagging things with color has a "play" quality to it. Like writing on the wall... :devil:

Anything that gets you to dry fire regularly is going to help shooting skills.

Nice draw from concealment.

DNH

• 2 weeks later...

I have my SIRT on order. I went with the Zombie green; especially since it was a special sale!

Looking forward to training with it. I had two surgeries on my dominant hand two months ago and it's still too painful to shoot. I've done some weak hand shooting, but it's just not the same. This is going to give me a way to train until I heal sufficiently.

Thanks Mike for making such a versatile training tool!

• 1 month later...

I am so stoked I can hardly stand it..:) as I mentioned before, I received my SIRT Pro within a week or so of getting my B Class rating last March... As of last Sunday with two great classifiers in a row (91% & 83%) (and two very good match finishes in a row after being off for 2.5 months) ( I kept up my consistent practices and even gained on my competition) I made A a year faster than I had hoped and there is no way I could have done it without this practice tool! Before I purchased it, I admit I was a Dryfire Nut and it was helping without a doubt, but the SIRT takes it to a whole new level of training. I am continually amazed at the money people spend on other things in our sport, such as trigger jobs and such...:) the $money I spent on my SIRT was my far the smartest money I have spent on my improvement in the sport we love! When you spend time with this pistol you learn and see things you would never see with your live pistol because you can spend more time with your SIRT and it never lies to you and you can test out thoughts and ideas instantly!

If you are willing to put in the effort, then spend the money and you will be amazed as I was at the speed of improvement!

• 2 months later...

It seems like a no brainer but I just wanted to make sure before I dropped the cash, but will this work with the laserlyte target?... blush.gif <link redacted>

Assuming that target is using the LED as both a photodetector as well as in a more traditional fashion for the display, I would assume the red/red laser version of the SIRT would work with that target. I wouldn't be so sure with the green/red laser version of the SIRT, at least without swapping the function of the two lasers.

I've got my SIRT in the office with a bunch of targets taped to my wall. Whenever I need a break, I just practice trigger control and transitioning between targets. I love the thing, and it works fantastically even when focusing on the front sight. Of course, I would recommend you have a relatively lax employer before trying the same thing.

I will also neither confirm nor deny that one can be reasonably accurate holding the pistol sideways with a little practice.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the red version sirt and the laserlyte target yesterday so your reply gives me a little piece of mind until they both arrive. It dawned on me this morning that this combo will be a great tool in learning to call my shots.

Brandrum, how well does the SIRT work with the Laserlyte? I just got my SIRT today, and I'm thinking of doing what you're doing and get a couple of Laserlyte targets to use with the SIRT.

Has anyone put a fiber optic front sight and competition rear on their SIRT? I've got Sevingey competition sights on my 34 and 35...it might be beneficial to have familiar sights on my SIRT.

Put a Sevengy FO front on this weekend and taped 1/3 size USPSA targets to my back fence. Was practicing shooting on the move out in the sunlight to replicate the match conditions. The front sight was actually for a 34. A quick adjustment of the laser and I was good to go. Used the stock SIRT rear sight.

• 1 month later...

It seems like a no brainer but I just wanted to make sure before I dropped the cash, but will this work with the laserlyte target?... blush.gif <link redacted>

Assuming that target is using the LED as both a photodetector as well as in a more traditional fashion for the display, I would assume the red/red laser version of the SIRT would work with that target. I wouldn't be so sure with the green/red laser version of the SIRT, at least without swapping the function of the two lasers.

I've got my SIRT in the office with a bunch of targets taped to my wall. Whenever I need a break, I just practice trigger control and transitioning between targets. I love the thing, and it works fantastically even when focusing on the front sight. Of course, I would recommend you have a relatively lax employer before trying the same thing.

I will also neither confirm nor deny that one can be reasonably accurate holding the pistol sideways with a little practice.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the red version sirt and the laserlyte target yesterday so your reply gives me a little piece of mind until they both arrive. It dawned on me this morning that this combo will be a great tool in learning to call my shots.

Brandrum, how well does the SIRT work with the Laserlyte? I just got my SIRT today, and I'm thinking of doing what you're doing and get a couple of Laserlyte targets to use with the SIRT.

works very well with a LaserLyte target.

I am so stoked I can hardly stand it.. :) as I mentioned before, I received my SIRT Pro within a week or so of getting my B Class rating last March... As of last Sunday with two great classifiers in a row (91% & 83%) (and two very good match finishes in a row after being off for 2.5 months) ( I kept up my consistent practices and even gained on my competition) I made A a year faster than I had hoped and there is no way I could have done it without this practice tool! Before I purchased it, I admit I was a Dryfire Nut and it was helping without a doubt, but the SIRT takes it to a whole new level of training. I am continually amazed at the money people spend on other things in our sport, such as trigger jobs and such... :) the $money I spent on my SIRT was my far the smartest money I have spent on my improvement in the sport we love! When you spend time with this pistol you learn and see things you would never see with your live pistol because you can spend more time with your SIRT and it never lies to you and you can test out thoughts and ideas instantly!

If you are willing to put in the effort, then spend the money and you will be amazed as I was at the speed of improvement!

I've had mine just a couple of days and I love firing it. Which trigger weight setting did you find most helpful? From the factory it was set at 3 out of 4 slash marks. My finger got a bit irritated, to a point where I think it will lead to blisters so I lightened it up to #2 setting. I want it to be heavier than my live trigger for sure.

We purchased one for work and they are pretty effective. The training videos on the site and the info with the SIRT trainer gun are pretty good. Its a great tool / aid for both new / problem shooters and instructors. Police (at least my dept.) get limited range time. The SIRT lets me work with the new or problem shooter off the range. Teaching a proper sight picture and trigger press (among other skill sets) is a challenge, because at the time the gun is fired, you aren't seeing what the shooter is seeing. There are tricks to determine if its a sight alignment or trigger press issue (usually improper trigger press), but the SIRT let me see essentially see what the shooter is seeing (and showing what they are doing) before and after the trigger is pressed. I teach primarily front sight focus (there is a place for target focus at certain distances and depending on size of target). Because of the take up laser I see where the gun was when the shooter pressed the trigger and if the action of pressing the trigger is moving the gun (front sight) and the green laser is showing me where the shot went. Shooter draws, indexes to target and presses trigger...The two lights give the coach feedback as to what the new or problem shooter is or isn't doing. Also effective for movement training and transitions as Mike said. (I do keep the lasers down below the front sight so the shooter can't see them.)