Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J Katz's Range Diary

jkatz44

3 Stage Friday Fun Match

I tried to focus on seeing my sights. Overall, it went pretty well. I placed 3rd and 1st Production.

Tomorrow I am probably shooting a match. I will try and get video.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I cannot update this often.

On the bright side I shot a IDPA match and placed 4th overall and took 1st SSP Expert. In this game, I really have to get my hits.

I also have been doing a lot of dry fire. I have been doing 2 or more hours each day. I usually do an hour or so in the afternoon and the rest in the evening. I can tell it is paying off. I am mostly working reloads on the move. I also am spending a lot of time on strong hand only/weak hand only shooting in dry fire. Currently, this is a weakness of mine. I want to practice this enough until it comes a strength.

Jason

3 Stage Friday Fun Shoot

I really tried to focus on seeing. I shot pretty good and came in 3rd overall and 1st production.

Sunday, is our monthly USPSA match. I plan to not try and let my mind be.

During our weekly match last night it was pouring down rain. Although it was harder to stay focused, I realized that it was good practice if it were to rain at a major match.

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

It has been a while since I posted back here. But, I am back.

I shot my first match in open yesterday. Wow, It was fun. :cheers:

I didn't really get to practice with it before the match but the gun performed well.

During the match, I shot pretty slow. But, I was just trying to get the feel of the gun.

I also had some trouble with my grip. My index finger would sometimes push up the safety half-way. Dry fire will help this.

In the end, I placed 4th overall.

All I can say is that Open is a whole different game. I look forward to working hard to learn how to shoot open efficiently.

This sunday is our Monthly USPSA Match. I am going to dry fire these next few days to get familiar with my gun.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

I have been dry firing a lot. I hope to get some practice in with my new toy tomorrow. Also, next sunday, I am going to shoot a special classifier match. This means that I will get classified in Open in time for the Florida State Match. :cheers:

Just been doing more dry fire. I am starting to get used to my new Open gun. I worked on a lot of things including draws, transitions, reloads, strong hand only, weak hand only and some other stuff. On Sunday, I will shot out Monthly uspsa match.

• 5 weeks later...

It has been exactly one month since I last posted. I really have been enjoying shooting open. Much funner than production. :roflol: Although I have had my open gun for nearly a month, I only shot about 500 rounds before the Florida State Match this weekend. Except from a lot of mental errors, I think I shot okay. In total i had 5 mikes. But, 2 of them was from a target that i didn't shoot. The other three were a headshot, swinger, and a target that I tried to take on the move. I noticed from the video a few things....

1. I need to get to the gun faster

2. I need to executed better stage planning

3. hold gun tighter with left hand (gun looked as if it were flopping around too much)

4. Last but the most important, trigger control.

After the results were up, I placed 9th Open out of 50 shooters.

BTW, thanks goes out to the crew and workers who helped put on this match. Well run, good stages, and good weather. :cheers:

Now, I am practicing for the upcoming IPSC Nats. Looking forward to it. :cheers:

Sorry that I have been not updating this but I have been very busy. I have been dryfiring the heck out my open gun. I think that it is helping. I am starting to get the hang up open. All I have to focus on is Trigger control and everything else will be okay. I shot our monthly USPSA Match today. I shot okay. I have to work on my weak hand shooting. Once again, it is just trigger control. It seems that I am rushing on the last target. I jerked a round into a no shoot. Aside from that, I only had one other error that I was rushing and not seeing my dot/executing proper trigger control. I placed 5th out of 50.

Nats is only 1 week away,so I am excited. I am just going to relax, and have fun. Just focusing on trigger control. I am going to try and dryfire every day for the next week. On a side note, my open gun is running great so that is one less thing that I have to worry about.

Until next time,

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

• 1 month later...

I have been shooting Open now for 3 months and I love it. I am looking forward to becoming really good with it. Currently, there is a ton of matches that are going on in Florida. I have shot the IPSC Nats, Florida State and Monster Match with my open gun. Aside from small things that I screwed up, I did good. I am starting to realize the pace in which you have to shoot open. I just shot a match yesterday. There was some pretty good guys and I won the match. :cheers: I shot my 2nd classifier in Open too. My first one was :sick: . I shot another one yesterday and it looks like a 100% in Open. It feels good to have won the match but I know that this is only a small step to becoming the top in this game.

Until Later,

Jason

• 3 months later...

After shooting Open for 6 months, its still a blast. I am accustomed to this division and look forward to reaching my goals. On Sunday, I shot a slot series local match. I placed 2nd overall out of 44 shooters. (91% of M. Bragg) I also shot a 89% classifier(Steely Speed VII) so It should put me close to A class. On the classifier, I didn't seemed rush or anything, I just shot. It was a cool experience.

I am looking forward to the upcoming FL open. I am going to try and shoot the match without any expectations. I am just going to shoot.

On the other hand, I'm excited about other matches that I plan on attending. These include Area 6, Pro Am, Steel Championship and some others.

Until Later,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I just shot the FL open. Lets just say, that it was pretty ugly. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't find my groove. I wasn't keeping focus I guess. I was miking the easiest targets and had a number of metal errors. I guess that experience will help with this. Shooting 10 long stages in one day was pretty long. This just shows that I need to get in better shape. I started regularlly working out about a month ago. I know that it will help me so I look forward to seeing my improvments. In the end, I placed 42nd in open and shot 71% of Max. Despite my mikes, I was able to get Top Junior in Open. I also won a gun...

My next match will be the Steel Championship in Titusville. I have never shot a big steel match like this so it will be interesting...

I also sent in my Area 6 app yesterday. I'm looking foward to that. I also need to get my app in for the Pro Am.

Man, there are a lot of matches going around here.

I also need to start dryfiring regularlly. I need to get into a routine...

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

Today, I shot my club's monthly USPSA match. My goal for the match was to just shoot my own game and get A's. As I shot the match, It seemed that I was just shooting average. But, when results came, I was 1st overall out of 52 shooters. I had 1 mike for the day which was a target coming into a posistion(a substantial lean). This was unusual and needs to be addresed. I also had 2 "D's" (1 on classifier) which is not good. Overall, there is a lot of room for improvement but I'm shooting okay. The thing that I learned from this match is that I do not need to win every stage to place well. I only won 1 of the 6 stages and I was still able to win HOA. Also, I shot the classifier Fluffy's Revenge 2. I shot it in 3.34 with a "D" so it was a 79% which is pretty good.

I plan on shooting a little Production to get ready for the upcoming FL State IDPA match. Other than that, things are going ok. I am still working out. I am trying to build up some strengh and muscle.

Until later,

Jason