Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J Katz's Range Diary

jkatz44

I am shooting the 2011 FL IDPA State Championship at my home club(The Wyoming Antelope Club) in one week. It will be a great match. I am going to help set up the stages tomorrow...

I also have been doing a little dry fire with my M&P to get ready for this.

Edited by jkatz44

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a workout today... I actually am starting to like doing work outs. I am mostly just doing running, sit ups, and pushups.

Yesterday, I shot a USPSA match in Ruskin. I shot production with my M&P to get ready for the IDPA State match this Saturday. Since I haven't regularrly shot my production pistol in months, my goal was to just shoot my sights and get all A's. It seemed like I wasn't pushing enough but when the results came in, I did prettly well. I ended up at 4th out 50, 1st production, and 93% of the winner. I also shot the classifier "Bang and Clang". I was able to shoot a 85% classifier. This might put me into A class in production...

It seems like shooting open has really improved my game in production.

Anyway, I will be shooting another local match tomorrow. I will keep you updated on how I do at the State match.

Jason

If you have local access to Manny Bragg you need to jump at the opportunity to get trained by him. If you were to setup a mentor training program with him that would put your performance improvement in high gear. Will it cost you some money, yes. But it will cut YEARS off of your learning curve. If you or your family have the money to setup an ongoing training program with Manny it would be the best way to maximize your shooting potential.

I shot the FL IDPA State Championship over this past weekend. I had a great time. I shot all day Saturday and worked the match on Sunday. Although I don't shoot IDPA, it was still a pretty fun time. After all, it is still trigger time. I know that in IDPA, you have to get your hits. You cannot go out there, blasting away and dropping points. My goal was to really see my sights and shoot as acurately as possible. I knew my natual ability of speed would take care of my times. I started off with a good start and as the day went on, I started to get a bit lazy. For the match, I had like 4 Mikes. Three of them were from moving targets, (1 bobber and 2 fast sliders)and the other one was just a stupid mistake when I was shooting strong-hand. In then end, I was able to get 2nd SSP Expert and high junior. This means that I will be bumped to Master in SSP.

Thanks goes out to all of the SO's and the people who helped run this match.(Dan, Charles, Larry, Janci, Jay, and many others.)

I plan on picking up my open gun for a while to get ready for Area 6, Pro AM, and steel championship.

Until later,

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

My next match is going to be the US Steel championship in Titisville. This will be my first major "steel" match so it should be fun. I am going to be shooting the steel match this weekend and i will test some loads.

Jason

I shot a steel match today. I shot very well considering I haven't shot open in a little while. I have a steel load for the upcoming steel championsip and I feel pretty confident.

On another note, a new classification card came in the mail from USPSA. It turns out that I made "A" in open. I am at 78%. I am also close to "A" in Production.

Yesterday, I shot our local Tuesday night match. It included 4 stages. I shot my steel loads for the match so I was shooting Open minor. I placed 1st overall out of 39 people. I look forward to Sunday for the Steel Championship. I just have to keep a level head and shoot my own game and I will shoot a great match. Stay tuned for results...

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sorry I could update sooner. This steel match was my first and I had a great experience. I will be sure to be back. My performance was pretty good. Although, there is always room for improvement. In Open, I shot a time of 119 seconds. My stages were pretty consistent without a lot of missing. The stage that i had trouble on was Outer Limits. I was consistently hitting high. I look forward to next year and see how I do.

I finished 52nd overall and 33rd in Open. I was also able to win HOA Super Junior (age 16 and under I think).

I am now getting ready for Area 6. This will be my first match in "A" class so I look forward to it.

D.V.C.

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

This Sunday, I shot a monthly USPSA match in Ruskin. I tried to push myself a little to see where my breaking point was. Overall, I was consistent which led me to win the match with over 60 people. I had 1 no shoot on a 2 yard target, lol and a mike on the classifier. The classifier we shot was "Front Sight 2". This involves 2 strings, 1 turn and draw, and 1 regular start. I smoked the stage except on the last shot of the last string, my hit was over the shoulder. It was barely on paper but it didn't hit the perf. I was bummed. I just looked it up.... If i got that last hit, I would have had a 91%. But, that is what happened and I should move on, right?

Shot a 4 stage local match on Tuesday. Once again, my goal was to shoot as quickly as possible. Except for one stage which I rushed and didn't focus on, I shot okay. I won the match...

Also, on one stage i forgot to turn on the dot. This was my first and last time doing this...

Also, on the same stage i felt something hitting my right thumb. But, of course I continued to shoot. After the stage i looked down at my thumb and it was banged up and a bleeding a little. I couldn't figure out how. It happened the next stage too...

I then figured out that it was my slide racker. The spring in the ball detent came loose, thus not fully seating the slide racker to the slide. The slide racker was hitting my thumb. doh!

So, i guess i need to get another slide racker before Area 6.

On another note, I am continueing to work out. I am still doing push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, running, boxing etc.

I enjoy training and I see improvements...

Later,

Jason

I was able to fix my slide racker. This is good news!

I was also able to get in one more local Tuesday night match before Area 6. I shot very good. I tried to keep focused and shoot my game. I able to win HOA for the match out of 39 people. I won 3 of the 4 stages... I look forward to area 6 on the weekend. I will be shooting all-day Saturday. I will update later...

Jason

P.S. I am continuing to work-out and train. Its doing pretty well...

Edited by jkatz44

My performance at Area 6= :sick:

For the day, I had 4 mikes and 1 d. A couple of these mikes were on targets that should have easily had 2 A's. I just don't know what it is... I come to these major matches and start miking all over the place. I guess that more match experience will help this issue. I had about 4-5 pretty solid stages...

Anyway, I am switching to production for a little while before the Pro Am. I shot the M&P in a match yesterday and was able to win the match, HOA. It feels cool shooting something different. There is a monthly uspsa match with a classifier this sunday. I plan on shooting production. Will update ASAP....

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

• 2 months later...

It seems like it's been forever since I lasted posted so this is long overdo. I haven't been shooting as much recently. But now that it is summer I look forward to more shooting and improving! I shot a local match last week and was Able to win the match using my open gun. So I guess I haven't lost too much. Lol

But, I want to start getting back into a routine in order to start mAking steps in my improvement. My fitness has drastically changed. I have been regularely working out and I have started doing wrestling. I'm going to do wrestling in high school next year and I know that it will keep me in shape!

I plan on attending a monthly uspsa match this Sunday. Right now I'm at 81% in open so I really wantto make master soon. Well I will try and keep up my range diary to track my progress.

Until later,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last Tuesday I shot a local Tuesday night match. There were some pretty good shooters and I felt like a shoot pretty good. I only had one bad stage in which I tried to burn it down which leaded to a few misses on head shots. But other than that, I am feeling confident. I cannot believe that the Pro Am is only a week away. Im looking forward to it and I will try and get video since I haven't posted videos of myself in a while. For this match, my only focus is to just shoot. I'm going to let my natural ability take over and I will see what happens...

I was able to shoot another Tuesday night match yesterday. I shot okay with a couple minor mistakes. Although they really didn't affect me too much in this local match, I know that they will in major matches. But, I was still able to win the match HOA. Here are some videos of two of the four stages...Let me know what you think.

Okay, so I shot the Pro Am championship yesterday. I feel like a shot a pretty solid match aside from a few minor mistakes. In the end I shot a total of 185 steel down. Overall, I was able to finish 16th out of 103 in Open and I was high Junior open. I had a great time at this match and I hope I will be able to go to it again in the future. I will try and get some videos up...

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, i shot a local match. I decided to switch to production for a little while. I again noticed that shooting open has improved my game in production. I shot a pretty good match and was able to win HOA. I feel pretty confident running my M&P! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...