Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J Katz's Range Diary

jkatz44

Hello,

My name is a Jason Katz. I am a 13 year old junior shooter. I have been shooting for almost 1 1/2 years. Currently, I am an A in Production. I thought I would start a range diary to check my progress and receive help from you guys. I am going to post videos of me shooting matches and hopefully, you could give me some pointers and tell me what I could have done better.

Here are videos of today's Tuesday Night Match.

P.S. Sorry for the horrible quality.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Once again, any tips are appreciated.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i envy you to be able to be starting this sport at that young of an age. I didnt even know it existed when i was your age, haha.

As for tips, about the only thing I saw at first glance was you seem to take a lot of extra steps when moving laterally. For instance, when you move to the right, you take a bunny hop to the left and plant your foot then take off. You could probably save some seconds here and there by twisting your plant foot and simply pushing off instead of re-stepping to plant and run ( if that makes sense).

I'm sure others will come around with better advice, but there's the input of a C shooter for ya ;) . keep up the good work!

I just watched your 4-20-10 match videos. Your aggressive and explosive movements are good. When you need to move when you can’t shoot you MOVE and that is a huge plus. Keep that up and always strive to be aggressive in your movements. I have listed below a few common issues in your shooting. Work on polishing up these areas and your stage times will drop dramatically.

1 – Incorporate more shooting on the move in your stage plans when you can do it. The stand and shoot, run, stand and shoot stage plans kill a lot of time. If you can keep moving even a little bit while shooting it will allow you to keep shooting more. The sooner you get the shooting done the sooner the stage is over so keep the gun running as much as possible. Look at stages from a vantage point that minimizes you being stuck in a single shooting position due to blocked targets. Its usually best to engage the “Keep you stuck in a position” targets first or last in a string so that you can shoot the others on the way in or out of the position. This way your “Stuck in one place time” is minimized as much as possible.

2 – You tend to crowd ports or walls. If you can shoot the targets through a port or around a wall without poking the gun past the port/wall that will almost always be faster because you can instantly transition to the next target or position without needing to pull the gun back first and then poke it back out. The extra couple of feet you gain by crowding the port or wall isn’t going to make the shots any easier and it just kills time so don’t do it unless the target positions force you to.

3 – When you have to shoot around the side of a wall you tend to bend sideways at the waist. That kills a lot of time getting out of the shooting position because you are off balance in the opposite direction you need to go. Crouch lower to lean around a wall instead of bending sideways at the waist. Crouching lower will allow you to get the same visual exposure to the targets and it will also keep your body weight more centered so when you need to exit the shooting position you can do it quickly by simply pushing off with your outside leg.

4 – Have the gun up and ready to shoot BEFORE you get into the shooting position. In a lot of your stage runs you get to the shooting position fast but you have the gun low while doing it. You come in and then raise the gun after you are in the position, this kills at least half a second per shooting position. Have the gun up and ready to shoot before you get to the shooting position so you can start shooting as soon as you can see the targets.

5 – If you plan on shooting Production and doing really well you need to get your reloads done faster. There are quite a few times where you are still completing your reload by the time you are entering the next shooting position. You need to be done with the reload within no more than 2 – 3 steps from where it started.

Keep at it buddy. You are shooting really good already. If you keep a mindset of always working on improving your performance the sky will be the limit. Good luck down in FL and let us know how it turns out.

getting better grasshopper... now when did you made A class?

BTW- the match in Orlando will start early, be there at 7:30am, 9 stages 300 rounds, well bring 400.

DVC,

Sandro

I know i have made A class from my last classifier but my classifications didn't update yet.

Okay, I just got the results back from the 2010 Sunshine State Games IPSC Match. It turns out that I placed 8th out of 56 shooters and top junior. I pretty excited about that. If I just continue to get all of my hits, I know I will place good at matches.

Here is some video except stage 3

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Stage 7

Stage 8

Stage 9

Tips are appreciated.

Okay, I just got the results back from the 2010 Sunshine State Games IPSC Match. It turns out that I placed 8th out of 56 shooters and top junior. I pretty excited about that. If I just continue to get all of my hits, I know I will place good at matches.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Stage 7

Stage 8

Stage 9

Tips are appreciated.

Nice shooting Jason. You are looking good.

Tips? Fix your grammar: "I pretty excited about that." :roflol:

jk bro lol

:cheers:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Stage 7

Stage 8

Stage 9

Tips are appreciated.

Nice shooting Jason. You are looking good.

Tips? Fix your grammar: "I pretty excited about that." :roflol:

jk bro lol

:cheers:

Haha. Thanks Nick. lol :roflol:

I shot out local Tuesday night match yesterday. I placed 5th overall and won production. I had at least 1 problem with my gun on each stage. My M&P has been giving me a lot of problems from failure to chamber and failure to extract. I am sending it back to S&W and hope they will fix it.

On another note, I am going to start getting in shape and go to the gym.

I shot out local Tuesday night match yesterday. I placed 5th overall and won production. I had at least 1 problem with my gun on each stage. My M&P has been giving me a lot of problems from failure to chamber and failure to extract. I am sending it back to S&W and hope they will fix it.

Jason,

Talk to me about your fitness program if you want. I've been doing it professionally for 15 years... Good match Tuesday night. Wish I'd have been there to challenge you! Hope S&W gets your gun straight. That said, if you need one, you can run mine.

There's stuff you SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do with weights at your age, mid-growth-spurt. We'll talk!

Jeff

Jason,

Talk to me about your fitness program if you want. I've been doing it professionally for 15 years... Good match Tuesday night. Wish I'd have been there to challenge you! Hope S&W gets your gun straight. That said, if you need one, you can run mine.

There's stuff you SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do with weights at your age, mid-growth-spurt. We'll talk!

Jeff

Okay! I'm out of that phase, build ME a fitness plan! lol :roflol:

I have been dry firing the past 2 days with a shooting buddie's Glock 34. I am starting to like the glock as I am getting used to it. Tomorrow I am doing some live fire practice so I will report back.

The practice session went okay yesterday. I really need to focus on my trigger pull. I also found that my transitions were slow. I am going to work on these things in dry fire.

I dry fired today for about 30 min. Just simple stuff like reloads, transitions, etc... I started my diet about 4 days ago and it is doing well. I hope to continue this.

Yesterday there was our 3 stage Fun Match. I did okay and placed 3rd our of only 17 shooters and 1st production. Tomorrow, I am going to the IDPA match.

I have been dry firing as much as I can. My diet is still going strong and it is coming to about one week. I also am starting to run on the treadmill. I only did a small amount of running but something is better than nothing.

Today, I shot the monthly IDPA match. My goal for the match was to shoot it penalty free. I accomplished this goal. I came in first place SSP Expert and first place overall. Total, I had 16 points down for the match. During the match, I didn't really try and push it. I just simply shot.

P.S. Video coming....

Whats up Jason.

I think I'm about to copy you and start a range diary of my own. I like that idea man.

I just started shooting about 6 weeks ago, and I'm shooting a Glock 34 in Production, and at 17 as a junior too. I love it. Only gun I shoot, and I almost died when she was at the gunsmith getting her sights put on.

About the working out part I noticed, your man Jeff is right. Don't use any extra weight or weights when your working out. Hold off on that until your in high school. I used to have a personal trainer for football and basketball who explained it all to me. The extra weight strains your growth plates, and it really can stunt your growth. And that sucks.

Stick to push ups, running and sit ups to get in good shape.

Agility work should also be a big thing for you, because in this sport it's all short quick movements if any, and I've never seen a stage that you have to run half a mile in the middle of.

As for me, once I get my range diary going, feel free to give advice and tips that you have. An A class shooter at 13 is bound to know a lot about the sport. Plus it's kind of hard to find a lot of juniors who do what you and I do. I know a couple, but knowing more juniors is always a plus!

-Josh Mann-

Josh,

Feel free to ask questions on this forum. Without this forum, I don't think I would be where I am now. Another junior shooter to talk to is Blake Manning. He too is good and is very helpful. What do you shoot? USPSA? IDPA? One of the most useful training aids is video. It really helps to break down your flaws in a stage. Also, dry fire. This is the best thing in the world. Most people, don't have money to go practice every day. But, you can dry fire at your house. Print some targets off of this forum and dry fire away. You can work on movement, reloads, draws, transitions, grip, stance, etc.

Jason

I dry fired tonight. Mainly worked on movement, reloads on the move, and transitions. Tomorrow is our Monthly steel match. It has been a very long time since I shot a Steel Challenge type of match. It should be interesting.

Got back from the steel match. It was great to do another type of sport other than USPSA. It is a whole new game. It was very fun and challenging. After a little while, I got the hand of it. I also realized that you can save a lot of time on your draw. I am interested to see how I placed. I think that steel shooting will help me with my accuracy in IPSC. I also am going to try and make a .22 open steel gun out of my Ruger 22/45 MK III. Not only will I use it for steel challenge but for just plinking.

Jason

5 Stage Tuesday Night USPSA Match

Sorry, no video.

I shot pretty good. My times were good and points were okay. I had one Mike but the cool thing is that I felt it. (I should have made it up) I came 7th overall and 1st Production.

Things to work on

shooting on the move

strong hand/weak hand shooting

reloads on the move

On Saturday, I am attending a shooting class at my local range. It should be fun. :cheers:

Edited by jkatz44

• 2 weeks later...

Shot our monthly USPSA Match today. I did okay. I need to really see my sights on every shot. I am starting to incorporate a little more shooting on the move here and there.

I also noticed in the videos, I sometimes did not have my gun up and ready to shoot in a new position.

I need to get my reloads on the move done quicker too.

In the end, I placed 7th out of 42 shooters and 1st Production.

As usual, feedback is welcome.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Edited by jkatz44

Yesterday, I did some dry fire. Transitions, movement, and reloads on the move. Today, I am going to do some more. Just basic stuff. Maybe some strong hand only/weak hand only.