Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload

Told you! :roflol:

So you get 1666 loads @4.2 per round.

So generally speaking 1500 is a good number to count on especially for knowing when to get more powder.

Plus the math is easier. i.e How many rounds can I load from 8lbs of powder? Around 12000. Who cares that it is exactly 13328?

How many 9mm rounds can I reload with 8 Lbs of powder?

It depends on how hot the load that you want to use is, and the powder you will be using. As others have advised, there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder.

You can always answer that question for any load and any amount of powder.

First...

Google "wiki gram" to get the wiki page that has this conversion information:

1 grain (gr) = 0.06479891 grams (g)

1 gram (g) = 15.4323583529 grains (gr)

Or...

Just Google "Gram to Grain" and then "Grain to Gram", which will give you the same information, but will also give you a calculator that lets you just plug the numbers in and click ENTER.

Anyway, no matter how much powder you have, you can always easily convert it from pounds to ounces to grams to grains. Well, easily with a calculator... A bit less easily with pen and paper, but still not particularly difficult.

Once you have the weight in grains of your powder stash, simply divide THAT number by the number of grains called for in whatever load you wish to use.

You don't even need algebra. :cheers:

You can always answer that question for any load and any amount of powder.

First...

Google "wiki gram" to get the wiki page that has this conversion information:

1 grain (gr) = 0.06479891 grams (g)

1 gram (g) = 15.4323583529 grains (gr)

Or...

Just Google "Gram to Grain" and then "Grain to Gram", which will give you the same information, but will also give you a calculator that lets you just plug the numbers in and click ENTER.

Anyway, no matter how much powder you have, you can always easily convert it from pounds to ounces to grams to grains. Well, easily with a calculator... A bit less easily with pen and paper, but still not particularly difficult.

Once you have the weight in grains of your powder stash, simply divide THAT number by the number of grains called for in whatever load you wish to use.

You don't even need algebra. :cheers:

Uh, I think they covered all of that in post #3, when he said there are 7,000 grains per pound.... :rolleyes:

I had 1,100, .308 cases prepped and an 8 pound container of powder. My load was 44 grains of powder, and doing the math, I SHOULD have had enough powder for 1,272 rounds.

I ran out of powder, and opened another new, 1 pound container, went through that,(which, by the math, SHOULD have been good for another 155 rounds) and still had about 50 rounds of brass to load.

Needless to say, I was a little peeved that I couldn't get the whole batch of ammo loaded with one lot of powder!

The other issue I had was when the "new" lot of powder went through the powder measure, it was weighing out at 44.8 grains instead of 44 grains. I debated as to whether to lighten the charge, or, go by volume, and decided to go by volume. I haven't had a chance to shoot the two on paper to compare yet.

It depends on how hot the load that you want to use is, and the powder you will be using. As others have advised, there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder.

So shooting 9mm 147gr bullets, w/ 3.5gr of Solo per round... 16,000 rounds per 8lb bucket.

At 800 rounds per month, 20 months worth of powder... Damn near 2 years!

So.... I need to shoot MORE so my powder doesn't go bad! (I needed an excuse)

Jeff

Uh, I think they covered all of that in post #3, when he said there are 7,000 grains per pound.... :rolleyes:

Well grumpy, that's great if you are always talking about a single pound.

What if you're talking about other quantities?

What if you're talking about a powder that doesn't come in 1, 4 or 8 pound sizes because of it's bulk?

What the other poster did was to GIVE him a fish. What I did was teach him HOW to fish.

Oh and....

:rolleyes: Right back atchya! :D

Well grumpy, that's great if you are always talking about a single pound.

What if you're talking about other quantities?

What if you're talking about a powder that doesn't come in 1, 4 or 8 pound sizes because of it's bulk?

What the other poster did was to GIVE him a fish. What I did was teach him HOW to fish.

Oh and....

:rolleyes: Right back atchya! :D

Eric, anyone who can't do simple math, shouldn't be loading anyway. So, by your reckoning, it's almost impossible to figure out how many rounds if it doesn't come in a 1, 4 or 8 lb can? Well, let's see....half of 7,000 is 3,500, so a 1/2 lb can is 3,500 grains...Or add 3,500 to 7,000 and you get 1 1/2lbs. Or how about dividing 7,000 by 4? That will give you 1/4lb. See how simple that was? Now you try it.

Teach, huh...What you did was tell him how to make something hard when it should be easy.... :yawn:

KISS......Keep It Simple & Stupid.

Edited by GrumpyOne