Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing revos

Round_Gun_Shooter

For background, I have shot revolvers since I purchased my first handgun in 1972. Yeah, I am not a young guy. I have shot PPC, pick up matches, bulls eye, IDPA. USPSA, USRA, Steel, and more. Last year I sold all of my revos and gear except carry guns. Damn I miss revo division.

My reasons were physical limitations that made shooting revolver very difficult. I have lost most feeling in my fingers. It varies day to day but I could not feel moon clips for my 625 in either hand. Trigger work has become instinctive but speed on trigger suffered also. I picked up my Sig 226 DAK and tried that. Double action was slow and not competitive but it brought some enjoyment back to the sport. I had one DAK converted by a very good friend to SA/DA with a lot of trigger work and that helped too. Next was Limited with a 6" STI. With the help of another good friend who is a member of this forum, that gun is now usable with my hands and the big mags can be felt and reloaded. What a learning experience.

I have been to doctors and to chiropractors. I have had acupuncture treatment and I have been on a physical fitness regimen that has caused me to drop 40 pounds and to gain back 10 in muscle. I am in the best shape of my adult life since I was 30. I just turned 59. Many friends here knew of my knee problems and those are getting better without surgery.

I still miss revolver. I no longer own a revo I can use in USPSA. I needed to sell them to buy the STI and the associated gear. Those damn mags cost A LOT more than moon clips.

So, here is the rest of the story. I am still a revolver shooter at heart but for reasons, had to stop. I get a lot of grief from some who have no idea why I stopped and I take it. I have more respect for the guys and girls that are able to continue but for me, I may shoot a match every now and then with my friend Mooney's gear if he lets me but other than that, Limited and production will be it.

I hope to see those I know at matches and I will always be available to help any new shooter learn from all the mistakes I have made. To those shooting my old revolvers, enjoy and shoot hard and fast. To those new to revolver, enjoy the most disciplined division you will find. It will help you learn any other firearm.

I still have parts, pieces, tools that I am going to let 10MMDave look at but I have not had the ambition to put them together. Parting with gear isn't easy.

I will occasionally post here but not too often. Just know, I still read and enjoy what you all write.

Regards,

Gary

TY43215

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I Have some of the same troubles that your having. I have very little feeling in my hands due to nerve damage and other injury to my neck / back and knees that has stoped me from keeping up with the younger shooters. some days its hard. But i hope the love of shooting revolers will bring you back to them

Edited by JAB

I actually thank you for the post Gary. Number one it makes us all remember we need to enjoy every inch of fun we can for as long as we can. It's also important not to lose track of why we do this and we're not all the same! Whether you like a wheel gun, open gun, Glock, etc. it's all good in my eyes (except maybe cowboy stuff.. lol). Dropping 40 lbs is also amazing... I envy you.

I hate to hear that physical limitations led you to leave shooting revolver division. I would hope that some day the ailments that you have can be moderated or eliminated so that you can return to shooting revolver in the future.

Don't forget Gary, if you want to compete against Mooney I still have a 25-2 sitting in the safe,

or if you want to use some of that 40 limited ammo of yours I'm sure I can round up a 610 for ya :D

See you on the range soon I'm sure.

Hi Gary, that's sad and good news!

I'm glad that you still can enjoy shooting, even if it is a "bottom feeder" ;), keep the good work up on the range and here in Benosverse!

And thank you for all of your support and help in the past when I started gearing up for Revolver in IPSC.

/Roger Tiensuu

Gary- sad to have read this post. Hang in there, some where

down range the silver lineing will show up for you again!

At least the weather is starting to change for all of us from

Cape Cod :cheers:

Rick G.

Gary,

Hang in there. At least you are still able to shoot some type of hand gun. I have a friend who loves shooting pistols but can't due to loss of feeling in his hands, now he is down to shooting benchrest. It cures his shooting "Itch" but he misses his handgun shooting.

Hop

Feel for you, Gary... I miss my revos too. Thank goodness they're all safe with Bwana. I also miss the revo fraternity, at least until I see Cliff.

Hang in there, my friend.

Be well,

Aw hell, of COURSE you can borrow my stuff any time. Just let me at that 6" bottom blaster... wait, that just ain't right.... I meant bottom FEEDER.....

I have an issue of my own now.... I really liked shooting that little local match yesterday in L-10. With the model 60. With a mix of magnums, +P, and +P+. I am starting to be able to bend my knuckles now!

Heck, without Gary, my revo would probably still have a 40 lb. trigger. Didn't know how nice it could be until I was taken under his wing. Still miss the competition even though I get to squad with Gary all the time.