Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where is that dot?

1911Prof

OK, I know that this is not uncommon for open shooters, but it is important to remember that those red dot sights need to be turned on to work. I was having a pretty good day when I came to a really fun field course and I was trying to figure out the best way to shoot the course. The first targets were going to be up close and then it was run and gun between targets that were anywhere between 3 to 15 yards. At the beep I hit the first three targets as fast as I could and started running. Twelve targets later, I pulled up at the Texas star and realized that I had not turned on the red dot. Not trusting zen to get me out of this, I had to stop and turn on the dot and finish the star. My forgetting to turn on the dot is not surprising, but not even noticing until I had almost finished the stage means what I really forgot was to turn on the brain.

Edited by 1911Prof

Some say its better to be lucky than good.

:surprise:

I'll stick with seeing what I need to see, (dot or red on target depending on target difficulty) to make the shot. I always see some form of a sight picture even at .13 splits but I will say that I have no faith in point shooting at 15 yards. At least you understand. Some never get it.

I felt it was beneficial to occasionally practice w/o the dot turned on.

be

I can see the benefit, I wouldn't have believed that I could hit all the targets without relying on the dot, but I just wouldn't suggest it during a match :wacko:

be

I can see the benefit, I wouldn't have believed that I could hit all the targets without relying on the dot, but I just wouldn't suggest it during a match :wacko:

Right.

Back in the early days of the electronic sights, many of us shot more stages than we cared to w/o the dot. They'd just go out. Maybe that was why I occasionally practiced w/o one.

:)

• 1 month later...

be

Right.

Back in the early days of the electronic sights, many of us shot more stages than we cared to w/o the dot. They'd just go out. Maybe that was why I occasionally practiced w/o one.

:)

Don't they call shooting without the dot on, Limited?

saved for me on videotape(yup its that old) was me standing atthe line andthe onething in my pre-shot routine i didnt do wasturn on the damned dot...so its BEEP, draw...fish for dot, no dot, turn it on and off we go, and of course the commentary on thetape as i did it...as brian said back in the day, they just plain went out on us, saw a guy literally beat on the side of his early model holosight because it was intermittant(we called it discodot back then) inbetween target arrays...at the ballistic banzai several yrs ago(8 stages 50 rds minimum per stage) i had a loose rheostadt on my C-More and it turned itself off at the 50 rds mark of a 65 rd course of fire

I make it a practice during the make ready to turn the dot on and always take a sight on a target before i load and holster. It is now drilled into me second nature to look for the dot and ensure it is on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had to practice without the dot today...halfway thru my last stage! Rheostat crapped out. I sure can't hit steel plates at 20yds and I pull right on all the paper. At least I finished the stage, only left 2 steel and a couple mikes. At least it was my last stage, I think maybe I'll practice that a little more.

I had it happen to me. The best thing is to develop a routine for Make Ready. That routine also helps me prepare for the stage.

Flyin

+1

I turn the dot on, unlock the holster, draw the gun, rack the slide, safety on, reholster, draw, take a sight picture (confirm the dot is on and adjust intensity), dry fire, load, reholster and turn off my electronic ears....same way every time.

I make it a practice during the make ready to turn the dot on and always take a sight on a target before i load and holster. It is now drilled into me second nature to look for the dot and ensure it is on.

I thought it was drilled into me, but two weeks ago right before my turn to shoot I noticed my new holster loosened and my gun was swinging freely on my belt. I had to run to my car get the allen wrenches and tighten it, then ran to the line where the RO was waiting. He asked me about my holster then gave the order to make ready. I loaded without taking a sight picture and at the buzzer I turned drew and fired the first two shots, let loose a few choice words, then fumbled to turn on the dot. One little thing and the brain went south.

• 1 month later...

I did the exact same thing and just decided not to turn on the dot to see and was surprised to see that I did just fine, your brain just gets used the the right position, although the dot is good insurance for hard targets.