Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot at designing a USPSA stage

Pro2AInPA

What do you guys think? Any problems?

Targets:12 IPSC, 1 USP, 2 no shoots

Scoring: Comstock, 25 rounds, 125 points

Scored Hits: Best two paper, KD steel = 1A

Start position: Gun loaded in holster, hands on X's

Stage procedure: Upon start signal, engage targets as required to score from within fault lines.

USPSAstage.ppt

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Revision is better, but you still have the one from the start to block. Otherwise, if I shot this stage, i would immediately go right and shoot the first two on the move. if your intent as a stage designer is to force the shooter to shoot it through the port, you'll have to make it only available through the port by blocking it somehow.

Walls aren't the only answer, you can utilize some barrels that will be a quick fix and easier to set up/break down.

Edited by Aristotle

I will work out a way to force the shooter to use the first window. Thanks fellas.

Why? Options are good. If you angle the targets correctly, it'll really be a tradeoff -- easy shots through the port versus taking harder shots on the move.....

Deleted this post as the one below it is identical, but I had screwed up posting my revision of the stage.

Just for the record, I might stick this one in a pit at one of our matches soon. Maybe Pit two?

Edited by Jim Norman

I looked at it and made a couple revisions.

Nik, allowing the 'harder shot' on the move may work, but it does increase the potential for a 180 break since the targets would be immediately past the fence and the no-shoots would be only partially blocking. 1/2 a step too far or a little lag is swinging straight and DQ.

I added two small fence sections in place of the port at the end of the stage, increases the challenge as the timing will be more difficult, bu removes the height issues that a port can sometime generate. If we are hiding a target down low, that is one reason for a port, but ports for shots that may be taken on approach to a target array increase the likelihood that there will over time, especially at a club match, be scored hits that actually passed through the port's border and are not caught or taped.

I also moved the start back to the right of the port to encourage the two-step shuffle and added a No=Shoot to further restrict access to the first to targets. If I had a wall section I might put in place of the two NS targets. You could then put a port in it and allow for the shooter to make the choice, but a partially blocked target on a near 180, I just don't care for.

Nik, allowing the 'harder shot' on the move may work, but it does increase the potential for a 180 break since the targets would be immediately past the fence and the no-shoots would be only partially blocking. 1/2 a step too far or a little lag is swinging straight and DQ.

Not if you set/angle them correctly, and maybe add a freestanding no-shoot or two.....

I never said they had to be immediately past the fence -- you've got a little space there, and I like options. Risk vs. Reward, baby.....