Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI tactical vs. Edge

Penguin

This might sound like nit picking, but here goes anyway...

I want an STI Edge. Love the full dust cover. However, I also want a light rail. Is is possible to have a gunsmith "mill" in a light rail? (i was looking at the edge's dust cover and it seems to be radius'ed slightly, not sure if it can be done?)

Of course, the STI tactical 5.0 is vertually the same thing, but does not have that full dust cover...

Go for the Tactical. The main reason for the full length frame is for Weight and balance. About 3 oz of weight to be exact. If you need the weight you can throw a tungsten guide rod in it and have pretty much the same balance and weight. These days folks are cutting the frame off, whacking and hacking the slides and drilling holes to lighten these fat boys up, look at the Brazos and Bedell guns. I have the Dawson SPF Edge in chrome and its a sweet heart but also have an SVI that is TRI Toppend and its just hard to figure out which one is better the lighter one or the heavier one. I shoot with a local GM that shoots an Eagle he prefers it to the heavier guns, so even a short framed gun will do the job, did I say bushing barrel. Another friend and GM shoots an Edge and tried an Eagle didn't like it. So its more about your personal preference and what you have shot a millon rounds in than the actual gun. If your buying new I recommend getting one of the tuned guns, that extra performance pack, that way it runs when you get it. Its the Indian and not the bow.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!!

Yes, i will definately be going with one of the "performance pack" guns from Brazos. The main reasons for a light rail is that i want this gun to perform 2 duties:

1) night stand gun with attached light / laser

2) IPSC gun.

I looked at the SVI's but they are pricey, hence was wanting to stick with STI...

Have you contacted STI to see if they would make one for you custom? Actually I just sent Jay an email asking if they could do a full length rail on 5 inch tactical, I'll let you know what he says. I'd like to have one also, or maybe a duty one with full length dust cover, like the custom springfield armory TRP.

I totally agree, I love full length dust covers as well!

Edited by mrwhite1

I haven't heard back from them yet, but I will let you know.

I'm sure they can, look at the Perfect 10, it is 6 inch gun and has full length rail.

I'm also fond of the Springfield Armory TRP - Have to get through the custom shop to get full length rail

2qlz9c8.jpg

2qi5hqa.jpg

Well bad news, heard back from Jay, it is possible, but would have to be special order of at least 16 pistols.

He said it would require complete new frame program to be implemented, and they manufacture frames 16 at a time on the CNC machines.

Looks like either the 4.15 tactical, perfect ten, or Springfield TRP. Unless we can get 16 takers?

Well bad news, heard back from Jay, it is possible, but would have to be special order of at least 16 pistols.

He said it would require complete new frame program to be implemented, and they manufacture frames 16 at a time on the CNC machines.

Looks like either the 4.15 tactical, perfect ten, or Springfield TRP. Unless we can get 16 takers?

If you bought all 16, you'd never need another pistol for the rest of your grand-kids' lives.

I got my Tactical 5.0 in today, it's got some great balance to it. The perfect 10 is definitely unique...I like it.

• 1 month later...

Wonder how hard it would be to convert a "perfect 10" to .40S&W...? Mags should be same, I think maybe just a new barrel is needed as the 10mm and the .40 headspace differently???? I would guess that extractors are identical?? :devil:

I went through the same debate and settled on having two different guns. I was worried about having my night stand gun having the relatively light trigger that I want for IPSC. What if the thing accidentially went off with the adrenaline going? To me that seemed like plenty reason enough to get an M&P for the night stand. Just my .02