Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am looking at the CZ 712 for possible 3-gun, but to get my money's worth, I would like to use it for duck hunting. Can you swap barrels on the CZ 712 ALS from 28" to the 20" utility barrel? Will it function, or is the Utility configured for the shorter barrel? If they are interchangable, does anyone know where you can purchase a separate 20" barrel. CZ-USA and custom sites don't list any thing. Searches don't turn up much either.

-Kevin

After much reading here, I recently picked up a new CZ 712 Utility for general purpose use and 3 Gun. Cleaned it well then took it out and ran 50rds of Walmart Bulk Winchester and 25rd Remington 00 Buck Shot through it with no issues so I was a happy camper. Last week I took it out to shoot some skeet with it in order to get some more rounds through it and noticed after the first round I begin having issues with the empty shell failing to extract. I could not get the shell to extract even when manually cycling the bolt several times. I would have to use the little fiberglass rod they keep handy on the range to remove the stuck shells. Any idea what could be causing this and what a potential fix may be? I hope to get back out there this coming Friday to try it again.

I am looking at the CZ 712 for possible 3-gun, but to get my money's worth, I would like to use it for duck hunting. Can you swap barrels on the CZ 712 ALS from 28" to the 20" utility barrel? Will it function, or is the Utility configured for the shorter barrel? If they are interchangable, does anyone know where you can purchase a separate 20" barrel. CZ-USA and custom sites don't list any thing. Searches don't turn up much either.

-Kevin

I talked to CZ-USA a couple months ago, they offered to sell me a 26" barrel from a warranty returned gun (not a barrel issue) for $50 bucks AS IS. Should hook up fine, minor fitting at most.

Also, in other news. Samples *should be* on the way now.

IMG_8117.JPG

Lovin' those samples! I will take one as soon as they are ready!

Same here, those look great, I think I like the one on the far right the most.

The far right is the "closest" to what it will look like, except the knurling will extend to the end of end of the slots + 1/8 inch.

After much reading here, I recently picked up a new CZ 712 Utility for general purpose use and 3 Gun. Cleaned it well then took it out and ran 50rds of Walmart Bulk Winchester and 25rd Remington 00 Buck Shot through it with no issues so I was a happy camper. Last week I took it out to shoot some skeet with it in order to get some more rounds through it and noticed after the first round I begin having issues with the empty shell failing to extract. I could not get the shell to extract even when manually cycling the bolt several times. I would have to use the little fiberglass rod they keep handy on the range to remove the stuck shells. Any idea what could be causing this and what a potential fix may be? I hope to get back out there this coming Friday to try it again.

The 930 I used to have did the same thing with the bulk winchester shells from Walmart. I have even seen a pump 870 do the same thing. Best bet is to find other shells and save the bulk Walmart stuff for over unders.

The 930 I used to have did the same thing with the bulk winchester shells from Walmart. I have even seen a pump 870 do the same thing. Best bet is to find other shells and save the bulk Walmart stuff for over unders.

870s are known for having issues with the winchester bulk. The federal tend to be a little better. Honestly a good chamber polishing may be in order to help with ejection of any cheaper, thin hulled ammunition.

used my 712 today for first time in a 3gun..ran into alot of problems..first of all , the finger pull on the bolt slide is sharp as hell as it cut the crap out of my fingers(factory pull lever) and alot of FTF (failure to feed) ..

after the match on of the shooters in my squad is a gunsmith and had him look at it..found the sprint in my tube ext. was hanging up at the transition at new tube thread area and he also suggested running around 2-300 rnds through it before next shoot and to keep the action spring and bolt areas wet (lubed) until its running smoother

Just sent you a PM...I'm in for one if they work.

Just responded :)

Just a update, got the samples. Doing some revisions and beefing up a section of it, and tightening up some of the measurements to make it fit a bit tighter in the bolt.

used my 712 today for first time in a 3gun..ran into alot of problems..first of all , the finger pull on the bolt slide is sharp as hell as it cut the crap out of my fingers(factory pull lever) and alot of FTF (failure to feed) ..

after the match on of the shooters in my squad is a gunsmith and had him look at it..found the sprint in my tube ext. was hanging up at the transition at new tube thread area and he also suggested running around 2-300 rnds through it before next shoot and to keep the action spring and bolt areas wet (lubed) until its running smoother

Wondering if you need to trim down the threads so the tubes will match up closer. Supposdly the older 712's had a "lip" where the stock tube ended.

Wondering if you need to trim down the threads so the tubes will match up closer. Supposdly the older 712's had a "lip" where the stock tube ended.

will be taking it apart again tomorrow and doing some dremel work to "polish" the transition out some..will see how that works

will be taking it apart again tomorrow and doing some dremel work to "polish" the transition out some..will see how that works

Based on all that I think you may have one of the older models. My new one had short threads and no lip. So no dremeling and no cutting down on the tube.

The older models had a different recoil spring too, along with quite a few other differences. If you take some detailed pictures I can let you know what I have different.

Pretty sure CZ-USA would be happy to help you out if you needed the new Gen part replacements.

Just a update, got the samples. Doing some revisions and beefing up a section of it, and tightening up some of the measurements to make it fit a bit tighter in the bolt.

Sounds good! I'm looking forward to how much easier disassembly is going to be with these new bolts, the stock one is too damn small to get a good pull on it when I'm breaking it all down.

870s are known for having issues with the winchester bulk. The federal tend to be a little better. Honestly a good chamber polishing may be in order to help with ejection of any cheaper, thin hulled ammunition.

Thanks! I took back out on Friday and had the same issues. Noticed it doesn't happen till it begins to warm up...say 15 shells into shooting. Gonna shoot up the rest of the Winchester Bulk and try something else. I am pleased to say that my little short barreled Utility is hell on the Trap fields! Had a great time with is much the the dismay of some of the traditionalist.

Based on all that I think you may have one of the older models. My new one had short threads and no lip. So no dremeling and no cutting down on the tube.

The older models had a different recoil spring too, along with quite a few other differences. If you take some detailed pictures I can let you know what I have different.

Pretty sure CZ-USA would be happy to help you out if you needed the new Gen part replacements.

Sounds good! I'm looking forward to how much easier disassembly is going to be with these new bolts, the stock one is too damn small to get a good pull on it when I'm breaking it all down.

Not sure about having an old model as i just bought it new about 3-4 weeks ago from gander mntn.