Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bullet and the Dillon 550

I just got my Mr. Bullet Feeder from Rick today. The directions were good, but being a tech guy I only ued them to make sure I didn't hose anything. :) The setup of this thing was a breeze. I had to hit the hardware store for a couple of 1/4 20 bolts, but other than that there were no problems. We spoke on the phone several times and took some measurements to make this baby fit my 550. To his credit he was damn close on all the cuts and holes. They were close enough I didn't have to get out the Mr. Dremel. :0

I unwrapped everything and it is pretty straight forward. I had already removed the Dillon seat and crimp dies and installed an RCBS seat/crimp and had loaded a few hundred rounds with that to make sure there were no issues there. I installed the bullet dropper, cut the feed tube spring to the proper size for the height of my press and installed it. I screwed it down a bit until it looked close to what I saw in the "color" pictures in the instr manual. I then hooked up all the electrical stuff and turned it on to see if the collator worked, it did, so I next installed the knew powder drop that comes with the unit. It is slightly oversized, but I only saw about an extra thou on my od, so no worries there. I didn't even have to adjust the height of the damn thing it was spot on from the jump. I put my powder tube and measure back on. (You have to remove it on the 550 to allow you to screw in the bullet drop tube.) Once that was in place I tossed some bullets in the collator and put a towel over the bullet tray to sit my hand on. I filled up a primer tube and dumped them in and was ready to check it out.... hmmm what have I forgotten? Nothing that I could see so I cycled the press and what do you know, but a bullet was sitting neatly on the case with a litle bit of force because it didn't want to wobbles... it had a slight seat already. Okay, lets get her rolling... I just used my thumb to sort of flip the index star but found that I flipped off a couple of bullets... growing pains, I adjusted by technique a bit to lessen the snap as the ball went into the detent (I'm going to work that spring over there in time) and after that I was off to the races. I went at a relaxed speed through the first 100 with zero failures after my thumb adjustment.

Now it was tie for the speed test... I am an Open shooter after all and we just HAVE to know where the limits are. Time : 2:48 GO! Cachick cachunk Cachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunk. BEEP!!!!!!!! Primer tube empty.... Time 2:52 and 30 WOWOWOWOWOOHOOOOO. \

I know you all want to see pictures, and I'll see if I can get you a movie of it in the coming days... Right now it's into the shower and off to setup and shoot our Thurs practice.

Rick, thanks for your hard work in setting this thing up to work on my 550 and so far the product has exceeding my expectations. :cheers:

JT

EDIT Note, I already had a case feeder on this press

Edited by JThompson

I knew a guy once that souped up a Pinto to drag race with........ :devil:

:P

Better watch it Tony... you might have some "blow overs" on walls and such at your Single Stack match. :devil:

:goof:

Edited by JThompson

That'd be nothing new Jim. :sight:

I'm glad it's working the way you wanted.

All kidding aside, if you need a help with setup, I can get down there for a few days. I'm not shooting the match, but if you can put me up, I'll be happy to help. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised I haven't heard of a bullet feeder for the 550 yet. Where did you find it?

And has the casefeeder been reliable for you?

Which of the two between the case and bullet feeder has had a more profound effect on speed.

Now it was tie for the speed test... I am an Open shooter after all and we just HAVE to know where the limits are. Time : 2:48 GO! Cachick cachunk Cachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunkCachick cachunk. BEEP!!!!!!!! Primer tube empty.... Time 2:52 and 30 WOWOWOWOWOOHOOOOO. \

Pretty slick device, no? My 650 time trial gave 2:03 from full primer tube to the beep. And I didn't "flip off any bullets" (Which, in my opinion, is very rude to the bullet. :roflol: )

later,

Chuck

Yup, Rick does good work!

• 5 months later...