Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bowen Rough Country Sight

Ontarget

Does anyone use the Bowen Rough Country rear sight on their competition revolver? Any thoughts on them- pro or con? Thank you.

I think 41mag was using one on a 617. Said he liked it, honestly I don't know why more shooters don't use them.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I need to check the forums more often. I actually got my 625 equipped with the Rough Country rear sight out to the range last weekend and did some shooting with it. Short version of the review: I like it. Longer version: I like it a lot.

Qualifier: the rear sight on a S&W revolver is perfectly adequate for action shooting, and generally doesn't need to be replaced. I bought the Rough Country because I, like an idiot, broke the rear sight assembly trying to install a Weigand rear blade and decided that instead of screwing around with installing a blade I'd just replace the entire assembly. Once I did that, I am/was perfectly happy with the Bowen. It's fast, accurate, and swallows up the HiViz front very nicely.

Edited by Ahab

As a faithful employee at Bowen, I have tried to get a lot of revo guys to try our sights. Jerry M has been using them for several years now. They are a little more expensive than some of the other sights on the market, but are a lot nicer and tougher. One of the nice features is that the rear blades are fully interchangable...if you want a bo-mar face, white outline, v-notch, custom blade, or some combination, we have them all in several heights. Check out the link below.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/Parts_SW_Rough_Country_Rear.htm

If the forward end of your factory sight ends in a rounded tang, the sight should work on your gun. If it has a square tang and a small diameter front hole then...no. We do have plans to make some sights for the older model guns in the future though.

Mark Dye

I make a fiber optic replacement blade. It's .160 tall with a .125 wide by .100 deep notch. The fibers are 1mm diam. You could get your gun drilled and tapped for the Bowen sight. Then it would work on the older model.

I fall in the "not for my gun" category. At this point, I have a modified millet blade, I just wish the sight picture was a little cleaner. Anyone make a replacement blade for these?

Lee

Mitch_Rapp.45, you could easily add the 2 holes to mount the Rough Country sight to your 610,

yours is the old sight version (square tang up front) and the new holes miss the old holes.

Least they did on the one I converted.

And mark-dye, thanks for the info on the RC sights, keep us informed when the new sight blades

come out (course you might have to become a BE dealer to do so ?)

An easier option is to simply drill and countersink the sight body and use the existing screw hole and mounting screw to install the sight. This will leave the original hole in the sight, but it really doesn't look all that bad, and it's fine functionally.

I think I was more looking for options vice being really displeased with the sight I have. When I am knocking on the door of Master and can say I think the sight distracting me is holding me back, and not just a lack of practice, I will look at gun modifications. Thanks again Mike, only shot one match since I got it back, but the gun performed beautifully - can't say enough good things.

Lee