Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start position: parade rest

• 6 months later...

The position illustrated is "at-rest" or "at-ease". Parade rest is a much more structured form of attention rather than simply relaxed with hands behind back.

Actually there are no actual positions of "at ease" or "rest." There is no requirement to stand any particular way other than that.

I do agree that this picture is not the proper position of parade rest, which requires the hands in the small of the back (at the waist area, mentioned by another poster already).

I guess it depends on what branch of service you are referencing whether you are right or wrong on this.

Army- Parade Rest is a modified position of attention. The ONLY difference is feet shoulder width apart and hands in small of back(right over left by the way).

At Ease is most certainly a position. It is a relaxed parade rest in that, as you stated, the right foot must remain in place, you may relax your arms and you must remain standing.

Rest is also a position which allows talking and even sitting as long as you remain in the same general area.

Proof that these are all positions is found in the fact that to go from rest to attention you must first give the command "at ease" before you call the element to attention at which time on the preparatory command for attention they automatically assume parade rest.

But I think the position is a good starting position. I have often wondered if it would be faster to turn and shoot by doing an about face. I guess that would work best on a smooth surface though.

Sarge has got it right...but it should be the same for all branches of service. Drill and Ceremony was developed so all branches of uniformed services would be "uniform". Of course, after serving in the Army in advanced training with Air Force and Marine personnel, I know that enforcement by drill sargeants isn't always the same.

Trying to get civilian personnel to understand the position will be as tough as a drill instructer trying to get a recruit to get it right. It's not that hard, but there's always some bonehead that can't get it right at all.

I think having them start with interlocked fingers behind their back or specifying that their index fingers be interlocked behind their back would be a better "standard" to set. People would understand it much better.

GO NAVY! Do it. Nothing wrong with it but expect whining from the peanut gallery as to who is not doing it properly. Luckily our club as a Sergeant Major, formerly of the AMU and Airborne, who could instruct the squad!

The position illustrated is "at-rest" or "at-ease". Parade rest is a much more structured form of attention rather than simply relaxed with hands behind back.

Dude, it's an Air Force picture. Thats as formal as they get.

lol.. yes... you'll have to teach AF types what a pistol is too.. :)

• 6 months later...

That's not much different from any other alternative start position, and there are some, such as seated starts while holstered, or carrying/moving objects while holstered, that I've seen that were a whole lot more problematic. I'd say a turning start is the most likely to cause soiled drawers, and that's based just on the 180 issue, and not the "stance" (arm start position).

Really, if the holster isn't secure enough for such starts, the shooter should know to start locked.

The appendix position that's so popular in the Open and Limited Divisions actually gets the gun out of thw way in the stance you're proposing, and SS and Production holsters, while further back, are deep enough that they'll most likely tolerate an accidental bump prior to the draw.

One part of the rules worth pointing out explicily is that the start position/stance should not allow any contact with the gun. Not too much of a problem for an appendix draw position, more likely to cause SS and Production shooters to have to adjust consciously to comply, but, again, not a disadvantage within the Divisions, and not more unsafe, given the type of holsters.

I say go for it.

Edited by rnbore

You state that you can't have any contact with the gun but that is not absolutely correct. 8.2.3 allows for "...unavoidable touching with the lower arms." So that could become an issue with the parade rest start.

That's not much different from any other alternative start position, and there are some, such as seated starts while holstered, or carrying/moving objects while holstered, that I've seen that were a whole lot more problematic. I'd say a turning start is the most likely to cause soiled drawers, and that's based just on the 180 issue, and not the "stance" (arm start position).

Really, if the holster isn't secure enough for such starts, the shooter should know to start locked.

The appendix position that's so popular in the Open and Limited Divisions actually gets the gun out of thw way in the stance you're proposing, and SS and Production holsters, while further back, are deep enough that they'll most likely tolerate an accidental bump prior to the draw.

One part of the rules worth pointing out explicily is that the start position/stance should not allow any contact with the gun. Not too much of a problem for an appendix draw position, more likely to cause SS and Production shooters to have to adjust consciously to comply, but, again, not a disadvantage within the Divisions, and not more unsafe, given the type of holsters.

I say go for it.

Why do I feel there is a little mockery on the part of the Air Force in this thread.

As a former Airman I am slightly offended. In actuallity I wanted to join the corps or Army but I scored too high on the ASVABS and it was either AF or Navy. :D

I actually like the start position of Parade Rest.

Brian